The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones

The Owl Keeper

by Christine Brodien-Jones

Maxwell Unger is about to turn twelve and discover his destiny. After the mysterious death of his grandmother, Max is raised to believe that he has an illness which makes him allergic to the sun and must therefore be cut off from contact with society. His only friends are a silver owl, a boy who brings him his homework, and Rose - a girl who appears one night by the owl tree and is somehow linked to Max's future. This book has it all - great characters, villians, mystery, adventure and suspense. Looking forward to a sequel if one is in the making. ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | Jul 4, 2013 |
I loved this story. Max, who has befriended a hurt but special silver owl, meets Rose who becomes his friend, escapes the destiny his government has planned for him and follows a prophecy to his true destiny. There are definite good guys and bad guys, the plot is believable enough and it is quite an adventure. I would be glad to recommend this to anyone. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 9, 2013 |
My overall reaction to this novel is extremely favorable. I have definitely found another all time favorite children's author. My 12 year old daughter read the book and demanded I read it right after she was done. In her words, "Mom, this is one of the greatest books I have ever read, there has to be a second book!" She promptly made me stop what I was doing and look up the author to find out. When I told her there were other novels by Mrs. Jones she let me know with profound importance that she must have every single volume written. After having read, "The Owl Keeper" parents would do their children a great disservice to pass this author's works up.

Do your children a favor, get a copy of, "The Owl Keeper" today and Mrs. Jones, please for my sake and my daughters... write a sequel, the world of the Silver Owls, Max and Rose could not possibly be over! ( )
  GMTAPublishing | Jan 18, 2013 |
Reviewed by Steph for TeensReadToo.com

Set in the future, Max lives in a post-apocalyptic world that is ruled by the High Echelon. He is told he is allergic to the sun, so he goes out at night to sit under a tree and reminisce about the stories his grandmother used to tell him about the Owl Keeper.

His only friend is a silver owl that lives in the tree, an owl which the High Echelon says is evil.

One night, Max meets a mysterious girl under this tree. Her name is Rose, and once Max finds out that the High Echelon are going to make him do something he doesn't want to do, he narrowly escapes with his new friend. Both know that the only way they can save Max and destroy the High Echelon is to find the mysterious Owl Keeper.

Brodien-Jones writes an intriguing science fiction story about magic owls and ancient prophecies. Max and Rose take the reader on a thrilling adventure through their magical yet ruthless world. Any reader ready for a wild ride will enjoy this enchanting story. ( )
1 vote | GeniusJen | Apr 11, 2011 |
I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher.

I am always on the lookout for good children's books and I am pretty picky when selecting one. I was intrigued by Brodien-Jones' new book, THE OWL KEEPER, because I happen to think owls are just about one of the most wonderful creatures you can find on this planet. Maxwell Unger, the hero of the book, is also a fan of owls. Because of a rare condition, Max is unable to go outside during the day . He often manages to slip out at night in order to explore and during one of his midnight forays he encounters a silver owl. Silver owls are thought to be extinct. Max appoints himself the protector of this rare owl.

Max and the rest of the world live under the control of the High Echelon. The High Echelon appears to be a corporate entity that took over when the world started falling apart due to pollution and other calamities. The High Echelon controls everything including the flow of information. When visiting his owl one night, Max discovers a young girl named Rose. Rose and her father appear to be on the run from the High Echelon and she reveals truths about that sinister entity that make Max begin to question everything he knows. Max's late grandmother used to tell him tales about the time before the High Echelon when the silver owls and sages were united against the powers of the dark. As truths come to light, Max and Rose must make an incredible journey to discover if the old tales about the Owl Keeper and the silver owls were really true. These tales may hold the key to a new future.

This book combines elements of a postapocalyptic world with a world of magic. There are sinister people who may not be what they seem, fantastical creatures, dark experiments and children with untapped potential. It is a coming-of-age tale but also a quest story. I really liked the fact that Brodien-Jones gives us two strong positive characters in the form of Max and Rose that can appeal to both boys and girls.Their quest isn't possible without the talents of BOTH children. It is a story of finding hidden truths about oneself and fulfilling one's destiny. There is plenty of action to go along with the mysteries and prophecies to make this a very entertaining read.

PARENTAL ADVISORY: The villians are quite sinister and may be a little frightening for younger readers. (think Roald Dahl and the later Harry Potter books) Also, there is a creature called a Skraek that sounds really scary. The children are often physically threatened and one is even experimented upon. However, I don't think most children over 12 will have much of a problem with the book.

BOTTOM LINE: Recommended. Brodien-Jones will be coming out with a sequel to this book and I'm really looking forward to it. I believe the series has a lot to offer. I appreciate the fact that although the books is open-ended enough to leave room for the sequel, it can still stand alone. ( )
1 vote bibanon1 | Jul 27, 2010 |

Maxwell Unger has always loved the night. He used to do brave things like go tramping through the forest with his gran after dark. He loved the stories she told him about the world before the Destruction—about nature, and books, and the silver owls. His favorite story, though, was about the Owl Keeper.

According to Max’s gran, in times of darkness the Owl Keeper would appear to unite owls and sages against the powers of the dark. Gran is gone now, and so are her stories of how the world used to be. Max is no longer brave. The forest is dangerous, the books Gran had saved have been destroyed, and the silver owls are extinct. At least that’s what the High Echelon says. But Max knows better.

Maxwell Unger has a secret. And when a mysterious girl comes to town, he might just have to start being brave again.

The time of the Owl Keeper, Gran would say, is coming soon.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:53 -0400)

Eleven-year-old Max partners with an unusual girl, Rose, who shares his appreciation of the silver owls that the High Echelon wants to destroy, and together they make a perilous journey seeking to fulfill a prophecy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,983,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible