The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones

The Owl Keeper (edition 2010)

by Christine Brodien-Jones

Title:The Owl Keeper
Authors:Christine Brodien-Jones
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 320 pages

The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones

The owl keeper is about a boy named Maxwell, who finds a silver owl. Maxwell gets a disease which makes him allergic to sun rays, plus he always likes the dark. Maxwell's gran, or so he calls his grandma, use to tell him stories about the world before the destruction. Maxwell has also been abscessed with silver owls. But a cording to the high Elckton , the government, says that silver owls are extinct. A cording to his gran the owl keeper would unit all owls and protect the world from the powers of the dark. Maxwell waits for the owl keeper, and soon does. Maxwell will have to find the courage inside him to enter the forest to find the owl keeper and the silver owls. Soon after Maxwell becomes the new owl keeper.
In my opinion the book was exiting and adventurous at the same time. The fact that some one can be allergic to the sun rays kind of scared me. During the beginning of the book I was starting to think that is was boring and stupid. When 72 it got interesting because Maxwell found the owl keeper and then on it was exiting and adventurous. The exiting part was when the government was not a good guy and they wanted to get rid of all silver owls. The adventurous part was when Maxwell went into the forest to find the owl keeper. But the ending was kind of predictable that Maxwell was going to become the new owl keeper.
  wyliep.b4 | Oct 28, 2015 |
After the Great Destruction, much of the world is uninhabitable. The shady and oppressive government, The High Echelon, is building massive domes for people to live in while spreading fear about the outside world. Max is a boy allergic to sun particles, who spends his nights with a silver owl he found in a tree. His grandmother told him that in a time of absolute dark an Owl Keeper would emerge to save the world. After he meets a girl named Rose who opens his eyes to what is happening around them, they realize it is up to them to find the Owl Keeper before it is too late and the world is lost.

I'm incredibly torn on this one. I really want to like it, and from a thematic point I did enjoy it a lot, but there were a lot of technical flaws that irked me while reading the book, most of which could simply be because the book is intended for a younger audience. Max is moral to a fault, and I found his interactions with the 'bad guys' throughout the latter half of the book to be strange and awkward at best. What really got to me was the lack of resolution at the end of the book. The story is left wide open, which I didn't expect at all. Nowhere does the book mention being a part of a series, but so many things are left unanswered! It's never a good thing to feel disappointed at the end of the book, but that's exactly how I felt as I was reading through the last couple of chapters and realizing there was no way the author could possibly wrap everything up in time.

So that's what I'm so torn. It's not bad, not really, but it's also not as satisfying as it should be. I enjoyed the act of reading it, but now that I'm finished I'm looking back on it I feel a little letdown. ( )
1 vote Ape | May 21, 2015 |
Maxwell Unger is about to turn twelve and discover his destiny. After the mysterious death of his grandmother, Max is raised to believe that he has an illness which makes him allergic to the sun and must therefore be cut off from contact with society. His only friends are a silver owl, a boy who brings him his homework, and Rose - a girl who appears one night by the owl tree and is somehow linked to Max's future. This book has it all - great characters, villians, mystery, adventure and suspense. Looking forward to a sequel if one is in the making. ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | Jul 4, 2013 |
I loved this story. Max, who has befriended a hurt but special silver owl, meets Rose who becomes his friend, escapes the destiny his government has planned for him and follows a prophecy to his true destiny. There are definite good guys and bad guys, the plot is believable enough and it is quite an adventure. I would be glad to recommend this to anyone. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 9, 2013 |
My overall reaction to this novel is extremely favorable. I have definitely found another all time favorite children's author. My 12 year old daughter read the book and demanded I read it right after she was done. In her words, "Mom, this is one of the greatest books I have ever read, there has to be a second book!" She promptly made me stop what I was doing and look up the author to find out. When I told her there were other novels by Mrs. Jones she let me know with profound importance that she must have every single volume written. After having read, "The Owl Keeper" parents would do their children a great disservice to pass this author's works up.

Do your children a favor, get a copy of, "The Owl Keeper" today and Mrs. Jones, please for my sake and my daughters... write a sequel, the world of the Silver Owls, Max and Rose could not possibly be over! ( )
  RavenswoodPublishing | Jan 18, 2013 |

Maxwell Unger has always loved the night. He used to do brave things like go tramping through the forest with his gran after dark. He loved the stories she told him about the world before the Destruction—about nature, and books, and the silver owls. His favorite story, though, was about the Owl Keeper.

According to Max’s gran, in times of darkness the Owl Keeper would appear to unite owls and sages against the powers of the dark. Gran is gone now, and so are her stories of how the world used to be. Max is no longer brave. The forest is dangerous, the books Gran had saved have been destroyed, and the silver owls are extinct. At least that’s what the High Echelon says. But Max knows better.

Maxwell Unger has a secret. And when a mysterious girl comes to town, he might just have to start being brave again.

The time of the Owl Keeper, Gran would say, is coming soon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:49 -0400)

Eleven-year-old Max partners with an unusual girl, Rose, who shares his appreciation of the silver owls that the High Echelon wants to destroy, and together they make a perilous journey seeking to fulfill a prophecy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible