The Red Queen (Cousins' War #2) by Philippa…

The Red Queen (Cousins' War #2) (edition 2012)

by Philippa Gregory

Member:tzugirl
Title:The Red Queen (Cousins' War #2)
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Info:Pocket Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, historical, england, tudor, royalty

The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

English (103)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (105)
Oh book, book, book, book... you were so very close to being 4 stars. It was bumped down to three though and by no real fault of the author.

I will start by saying I did enjoy this book. I finished it within 2 days and, as usual, I loved the descriptions of the world. I had a love hate relationship with Lord Stanley and I really enjoyed hearing about Jacquetta's daughters and what had become of them.

The book was an easy read and kept a good pace. There was only one point where I felt that it slowed down a bit and I had to force myself not to skim some pages.

I do believe that people were very bored back then. It seems like there was a constant back and forth on who should be king and that might have been avoided if people weren't as bored. I mean I could be wrong. There could still be battles between the nobles of England to take over the throne. That's pretty much what the book comes down to though. I'm king, no I'm king, no I'm king, and so on and so forth. I like the intrigue and I like reading how characters deal with it but if that's not your thing skip this book!

Now onto the reason I gave this 3 instead of 4 stars. The main character, I hated her so much... flames there were flames around my face. Seriously though, I am a tolerant person. I even found Lord Stanley awesomely conniving and I enjoyed his back handedness. He was probably my favorite character in fact. What I cannot tolerate is hypocrites and people who don't own up to their own mistakes/faults. Margaret was that to an extreme I have rarely seen in any character. She would constantly berate others for various "sins" and go on about how saintly she was and how she had the voice of God and the Virgin Mary on her side. She had an obsession with Joan of Arc but not for the right reasons or the reasons she tried to claim. She was obsessed with Joan of Arc because she wanted the recognition and the power. She speaks ill of others for being vain or greedy but she was the most power hungry character in the whole book. There was one point where I thought she would realize that she had sinned. I thought finally she realized she was vain and had done awful things not because her son on the throne was God's will but because it was hers. Alas, she immediately said that the only reason she was being punished for sin was because she made the mistake of associating with others who had sinned. Really!? Really lady!??

Basically what it comes down to is this book is a great read about an awful woman. ( )
  Alexis_D. | Sep 22, 2016 |
Margaret was not a likeable protagonist. I had just finished the White Princess and thought it would be interesting to see what a book about her mother-in-law would be like. The book was good,the character herself, not so much, although I am sure she was portrayed accurately. In her defense, she had a rough life.

barefootcowgirl | Jul 29, 2016 |
This was surprisingly good. I didn't realize it was the second in a series, but I don't think I lost too much by not having read The White Queen first. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I adore Philippa Gregory. I adore this era in general. But I wouldn't go as far as to say I adored this novel.

Lady Margaret, as portrayed in this novel is the epitome of hypocrisy. I could not bring myself to empathize with her or her cause until the final battle, and then only for the sake of the Tudor era to come.

Perhaps this is merely subconscious, a result of having read the York account prior or even an effect of color psychology. Whatever the cause, I did not feel that this novel reached the standards set by those that I read before it. ( )
  sippju01 | Jun 9, 2016 |
Excellent historial fiction. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
For Anthony
The light of the open sky is brilliant after the darkness of the inner rooms. I blink and hear the roar of many voices. But this is not my army calling for me, this whisper growing to a rumble is not their roar of attack, the drumming of their swords on shields. The rippling noise of linen in the wind is not my embroidered angels and lilies against the sky, but cursed English standards in the triumphant May breeze. This is a different sort of roar from our beloved hymns, this is a howl of people hungry for death: my death.
The light of the open sky is brilliant after the darkness of the inner rooms.

An heiress to the red rose of Lancaster, Margaret Beaufort believes that her house is the true ruler of England and that she has a great destiny. Her ambitions are disappointed when her cousin King Henry VI fails to recognize her as a kindred spirit, and she's even more dismayed when he sinks into madness. Sent into remote Wales to marry a man twice her age, quickly widowed, and a mother at only 14, Margaret is determined to turn her lonely life into a triumph. She sets her heart on putting her son on the throne of England regardless of the cost to herself, to England, and even to the little boy. Disregarding rival heirs and the overwhelming power of the York dynasty, she sends her son Henry into exile in France and pledges him in marriage to a daughter of her enemy, Elizabeth of York. As the political tides constantly move and shift, Margaret charts her own way through another loveless marriage, treacherous alliances, and secret plots. She feigns loyalty to the new king, Richard III, and even carries his wife’s train at her coronation.

Widowed a second time, Margaret marries the ruthless, deceitful Thomas, Lord Stanley. Gambling her life and her son's future that he will support her, she then masterminds one of the greatest rebellions of the time — all the while knowing that her son has grown to manhood, recruited an army, and now waits for his opportunity to win the greatest prize.

Married to a man twice her age, quickly widowed, and a mother at only fourteen, Margaret Beaufort is determined to turn her lonley life into a triumph. She sets her heart on putting her son on the throne of England regardless of the cost to herself, England, and even her son. Disregarding rival heirs and the overwhelming power of the York dynasty, she names him Henry, like the king; sends him into exile; and pledges him in marriage to her enemy Elizabeth of York's daughter. As the political tides constantly move and shift, Margaret charts her own way through another loveless marriage, treacherous alliances and secret plots, always with her ultimate goal before her.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,242,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible