The Red Queen (Cousins' War #2) by Philippa…

The Red Queen (Cousins' War #2) (edition 2012)

by Philippa Gregory

Member:tzugirl
Title:The Red Queen (Cousins' War #2)
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Info:Pocket Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, historical, england, tudor, royalty

The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

English (101)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (103)
This was surprisingly good. I didn't realize it was the second in a series, but I don't think I lost too much by not having read The White Queen first. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I adore Philippa Gregory. I adore this era in general. But I wouldn't go as far as to say I adored this novel.

Lady Margaret, as portrayed in this novel is the epitome of hypocrisy. I could not bring myself to empathize with her or her cause until the final battle, and then only for the sake of the Tudor era to come.

Perhaps this is merely subconscious, a result of having read the York account prior or even an effect of color psychology. Whatever the cause, I did not feel that this novel reached the standards set by those that I read before it. ( )
  sippju01 | Jun 9, 2016 |
Excellent historial fiction. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
The book is very much an imagining of what might have gone on behind the history that is recorded for this period. It is an imagining of a woman's experience. Some of it seemed a little far fetched. Margaret at times behaved inconsistently. Pacing the book by significant battles and other events worked well. It didn't get bogged down in telling us about the probable mundanity of Margaret's life in between the battles and changes at the top of the royal tree that impacted most on her and her son.

It didn't set me on fire, but it didn't put me off trying more of Philippa Gregory's books, either. ( )
  missizicks | May 24, 2016 |
I found this book rather overwhelming. I didn't feel it was the fault of the author so much as the subject matter. Writing about the obsessively religious Margaret Beaufort, there would be that dark suffocating feeling due to the character and her background and personality. Other than that I enjoyed how, even as suppressing as it felt at times, the reading flowed. It filled in gaps the I had from the White Queen. I look forward to reading Philippa Gregory's other works. ( )
  mhowar19 | Apr 21, 2016 |
For Anthony
The light of the open sky is brilliant after the darkness of the inner rooms. I blink and hear the roar of many voices. But this is not my army calling for me, this whisper growing to a rumble is not their roar of attack, the drumming of their swords on shields. The rippling noise of linen in the wind is not my embroidered angels and lilies against the sky, but cursed English standards in the triumphant May breeze. This is a different sort of roar from our beloved hymns, this is a howl of people hungry for death: my death.
The light of the open sky is brilliant after the darkness of the inner rooms.

An heiress to the red rose of Lancaster, Margaret Beaufort believes that her house is the true ruler of England and that she has a great destiny. Her ambitions are disappointed when her cousin King Henry VI fails to recognize her as a kindred spirit, and she's even more dismayed when he sinks into madness. Sent into remote Wales to marry a man twice her age, quickly widowed, and a mother at only 14, Margaret is determined to turn her lonely life into a triumph. She sets her heart on putting her son on the throne of England regardless of the cost to herself, to England, and even to the little boy. Disregarding rival heirs and the overwhelming power of the York dynasty, she sends her son Henry into exile in France and pledges him in marriage to a daughter of her enemy, Elizabeth of York. As the political tides constantly move and shift, Margaret charts her own way through another loveless marriage, treacherous alliances, and secret plots. She feigns loyalty to the new king, Richard III, and even carries his wife’s train at her coronation.

Widowed a second time, Margaret marries the ruthless, deceitful Thomas, Lord Stanley. Gambling her life and her son's future that he will support her, she then masterminds one of the greatest rebellions of the time — all the while knowing that her son has grown to manhood, recruited an army, and now waits for his opportunity to win the greatest prize.

Married to a man twice her age, quickly widowed, and a mother at only fourteen, Margaret Beaufort is determined to turn her lonley life into a triumph. She sets her heart on putting her son on the throne of England regardless of the cost to herself, England, and even her son. Disregarding rival heirs and the overwhelming power of the York dynasty, she names him Henry, like the king; sends him into exile; and pledges him in marriage to her enemy Elizabeth of York's daughter. As the political tides constantly move and shift, Margaret charts her own way through another loveless marriage, treacherous alliances and secret plots, always with her ultimate goal before her.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,528,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible