The Red Queen (Cousins' War #2) by Philippa…

The Red Queen (Cousins' War #2) (edition 2012)

by Philippa Gregory

Member:tzugirl
Title:The Red Queen (Cousins' War #2)
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Info:Pocket Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, historical, england, tudor, royalty

The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

Recently added byAuntiePlum, JeanieG, private library, valorrmac, anaxagoras, georgnbay, ZooAskew, Bestine, hellnick, SavMoG

English (88)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (91)
I suppose most people would say the Philippa Gregory novels are women's books, depicted, as they are, through the eyes of leading women of the Plantagenet and early Tudor era. I find the books to be a riveting account of the ruthlessness and intrigues of the families surrounding the Royal court of the time, and their attitude to their offspring, an attitude that, quite frankly, would get everyone concerned very long jail sentences for paedophilia and child abuse today.
This story follows the life of Margaret Beaufort and her self obsessed, and often brutal, struggle to put her son on the throne of England. The book seems to follow the path of history fairly true so is a good study aid for anyone trying to get their heads round that period of time. I found it a good way to set the chronology of the kings of that period. It also portrays the role of the leading women of the time and their influence and relevance to the politics during this period. The Red Queen gave me a thirst for more knowledge of medieval England and I found I was often Googleing the main characters in the book to learn more of their histories. I wouldn't just recommend this book to history geeks, I would recommend it anyone who loves a great story that grips your attention from beginning to end, and if you're looking for a good easy to read book for your holiday this would be a good choice. ( )
  Boozybazz | May 10, 2015 |
was happily surprised to find this in florida. there were 2 books at the condo. i'd read one. ( )
  mahallett | Mar 6, 2015 |
The second book in Philippa's stunning new trilogy, The Cousins War, brings to life the story of Margaret Beaufort, a shadowy and mysterious character in the first book of the series - The White Queen - but who now takes centre stage in the bitter struggle of The War of the Roses.

The Red Queen tells the story of the child-bride of Edmund Tudor, who, although widowed in her early teens, uses her determination of character and wily plotting to infiltrate the house of York under the guise of loyal friend and servant, undermine the support for Richard III and ultimately ensure that her only son, Henry Tudor, triumphs as King of England. Through collaboration with the dowager Queen Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret agrees a betrothal between Henry and Elizabeth's daughter, thereby uniting the families and resolving the Cousins War once and for all by founding of the Tudor dynasty.

I get that Philipa Gregory is telling the story of the cousins’ war from different viewpoints and that fine is until you have to tell the story of the most boring, deluded, egotistical female character...ever

The White Queen was good mainly because Elizabeth Woodville was such a charismatic character and her story was well told. I do admit to almost enjoying the first quarter of The Red Queen with Jasper Tudor and the future king but then, for me, it went rapidly downhill.

I was listening to it on audio book but think I would have given up pretty early on if I had been reading it.

Every incident was either "The Will of God" (good for Margaret) or "The Work of the Devil" (bad for Margaret) …interspersed with lots of praying, and non-stop whining about destiny

Disappointing and TOO MUCH PRAYING…. ( )
  jan.fleming | Feb 9, 2015 |
Margaret Beaufort's story is fascinating: married off three times for her land and her ability to produce sons. Lancastrian in the struggle between York and Lancaster. Energetic writing and pacing makes everyone live on the page, page turner, not great characterization, but good enough, nice level of historic detail, good explanations of motives without lecturing. Margaret is a little whiny and not very likable ( )
  jenzbaker | Jan 17, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
For Anthony
The light of the open sky is brilliant after the darkness of the inner rooms. I blink and hear the roar of many voices. But this is not my army calling for me, this whisper growing to a rumble is not their roar of attack, the drumming of their swords on shields. The rippling noise of linen in the wind is not my embroidered angels and lilies against the sky, but cursed English standards in the triumphant May breeze. This is a different sort of roar from our beloved hymns, this is a howl of people hungry for death: my death.
The light of the open sky is brilliant after the darkness of the inner rooms.

An heiress to the red rose of Lancaster, Margaret Beaufort believes that her house is the true ruler of England and that she has a great destiny. Her ambitions are disappointed when her cousin King Henry VI fails to recognize her as a kindred spirit, and she's even more dismayed when he sinks into madness. Sent into remote Wales to marry a man twice her age, quickly widowed, and a mother at only 14, Margaret is determined to turn her lonely life into a triumph. She sets her heart on putting her son on the throne of England regardless of the cost to herself, to England, and even to the little boy. Disregarding rival heirs and the overwhelming power of the York dynasty, she sends her son Henry into exile in France and pledges him in marriage to a daughter of her enemy, Elizabeth of York. As the political tides constantly move and shift, Margaret charts her own way through another loveless marriage, treacherous alliances, and secret plots. She feigns loyalty to the new king, Richard III, and even carries his wife’s train at her coronation.

Widowed a second time, Margaret marries the ruthless, deceitful Thomas, Lord Stanley. Gambling her life and her son's future that he will support her, she then masterminds one of the greatest rebellions of the time — all the while knowing that her son has grown to manhood, recruited an army, and now waits for his opportunity to win the greatest prize.

Married to a man twice her age, quickly widowed, and a mother at only fourteen, Margaret Beaufort is determined to turn her lonley life into a triumph. She sets her heart on putting her son on the throne of England regardless of the cost to herself, England, and even her son. Disregarding rival heirs and the overwhelming power of the York dynasty, she names him Henry, like the king; sends him into exile; and pledges him in marriage to her enemy Elizabeth of York's daughter. As the political tides constantly move and shift, Margaret charts her own way through another loveless marriage, treacherous alliances and secret plots, always with her ultimate goal before her.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,015,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible