The Red Queen (Cousins' War #2) by Philippa…

The Red Queen (Cousins' War #2) (edition 2012)

by Philippa Gregory

Member:tzugirl
Title:The Red Queen (Cousins' War #2)
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Info:Pocket Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, historical, england, tudor, royalty

The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

English (80)  Spanish (2)  All languages (82)
I loved this book despite the fact that many people say it is not historically correct. But I guess that wouldn't make it a novel, would it? ( )
  saradiann | Jun 29, 2014 |
Philippa Gregory must've been drinking the Richard III Society Kool-Aid for this one. Even counterfactual fiction has to have some plausible basis to build a story. But turning Margaret Beaufort into the Cruella De Vil of the Wars of the Roses so as to make Richard III the noble blameless hero? I'm afraid that puts this series into the Science Fiction section! ( )
  Ann_Louise | Jun 28, 2014 |
"The Red Queen" is narrated by Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII, grandmother of Henry VIII, and great-grandmother of Edward VI, Elizabeth I, and Queen Mary.

Margaret's first husband was Edmund Tudor. Their union marked the beginning of the Tudor dynasty, however, Margaret and the future Henry VII spent a long time in the wilderness before coming to power.

This novel covers the period of 1453-1485, though it skips the odd decade here and there. Occasionally Margaret's narrative is replaced by a third person perspective to cover events important to the story that she couldn't recall herself.

On the whole I found this a worthwhile read, yet at times it proved monotonous, plus there are several instances of repeated information.

I had similar feelings when I read Ms Gregory's "The White Queen". Personally, I feel that had the author combined these two books into one, preferably written in third person, then she would have produced a much more rounded novel. ( )
  PhilSyphe | May 24, 2014 |
I am becoming addicted to Ms Gregory's books! This was a good read. I think I enjoyed the White Queen a little more but the saga continues...on to the next in the series.
  ava-st-claire | Feb 21, 2014 |
Boy did I want to like this book, but the character of Margaret Beaufort is so relentless two dimensional, she's obsessed with her dynastic legacy and her faith, it was hard for me to be sympathetic with her. I just found out she's one of my great great grandmothers and I ended up being sympathetic to the York cause. Yikes! In her nonfiction work, "The Cousins War," Philippa Gregory writes about the tendency for contemporaries to support the political powers in place at the time of their writing. In Margaret Beaufort's case, she was presented as a sympathetic figure by her contemporaries, according to Gregory, possibly because her son came out on top following the War of the Roses (or "The Cousins War," as it was called at the time). This may be true, but you wouldn't have been able to tell that from the fictional account Gregory wrote. ( )
  madamepince | Feb 17, 2014 |
For Anthony
The light of the open sky is brilliant after the darkness of the inner rooms. I blink and hear the roar of many voices. But this is not my army calling for me, this whisper growing to a rumble is not their roar of attack, the drumming of their swords on shields. The rippling noise of linen in the wind is not my embroidered angels and lilies against the sky, but cursed English standards in the triumphant May breeze. This is a different sort of roar from our beloved hymns, this is a howl of people hungry for death: my death.
The light of the open sky is brilliant after the darkness of the inner rooms.

An heiress to the red rose of Lancaster, Margaret Beaufort believes that her house is the true ruler of England and that she has a great destiny. Her ambitions are disappointed when her cousin King Henry VI fails to recognize her as a kindred spirit, and she's even more dismayed when he sinks into madness. Sent into remote Wales to marry a man twice her age, quickly widowed, and a mother at only 14, Margaret is determined to turn her lonely life into a triumph. She sets her heart on putting her son on the throne of England regardless of the cost to herself, to England, and even to the little boy. Disregarding rival heirs and the overwhelming power of the York dynasty, she sends her son Henry into exile in France and pledges him in marriage to a daughter of her enemy, Elizabeth of York. As the political tides constantly move and shift, Margaret charts her own way through another loveless marriage, treacherous alliances, and secret plots. She feigns loyalty to the new king, Richard III, and even carries his wife’s train at her coronation.

Widowed a second time, Margaret marries the ruthless, deceitful Thomas, Lord Stanley. Gambling her life and her son's future that he will support her, she then masterminds one of the greatest rebellions of the time — all the while knowing that her son has grown to manhood, recruited an army, and now waits for his opportunity to win the greatest prize.

Married to a man twice her age, quickly widowed, and a mother at only fourteen, Margaret Beaufort is determined to turn her lonley life into a triumph. She sets her heart on putting her son on the throne of England regardless of the cost to herself, England, and even her son. Disregarding rival heirs and the overwhelming power of the York dynasty, she names him Henry, like the king; sends him into exile; and pledges him in marriage to her enemy Elizabeth of York's daughter. As the political tides constantly move and shift, Margaret charts her own way through another loveless marriage, treacherous alliances and secret plots, always with her ultimate goal before her.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,228,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible