Unspeakable by Laura Griffin

Title:Unspeakable
Authors:Laura Griffin
Info:Pocket Books (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages

Unspeakable by Laura Griffin

Elaina, a junior FBI agent, is sent to Lito Island, where the bodies of two murdered young women have been found. Elaina believes she can link the killings to a murder some years ago, a murder a now incarcerated man confessed to. Elaina is not taken seriously by the local police. Enter Troy (from the first novel). Troy writes true crime books, including one covering the historic murder, in which he was convinced by the now-perhaps-false-confession. Because Troy lives locally, drives a Porsche, and has invested in the Tracers' crime lab, he seems to be allowed to tag along on police/FBI business and is privy to all their confidential information. Elaina plugs away, even though all the other (male) officers/agents despise her and her ideas, and she and Troy crack the case.

I liked Troy, although his vow never to commit to a woman (which might have been in the first book actually) seems to have fallen by the wayside unremarked in the space of about a week. It was hard to see what he and Elaina really had in common - they never talked much, apart from about the case. As another reviewer has pointed out, there was a lot about the killer and his motivations and methods which went undiscussed. We never really revisited Elaina's unsub profile to see how accurate it was.

I'm still enjoying these though and they are a quick read. ( )
  pgchuis | Aug 4, 2017 |
From Amazon:

Elaina McCord’s dream of being an FBI profiler is threatened by her very first case—investigating a string of murders near a Texas beach resort. The victims, all young women, were drugged and brutally murdered, their bodies abandoned in desolate marshland. Elaina’s hunch—met with disbelief by local police—is that these are only the latest offerings from a serial killer who has been perfecting his art for years, growing bolder and more cunning with each strike. True-crime writer Troy Stockton has a reputation as an irresistible playboy who gets his story at any cost. He’s the last person Elaina should trust, let alone be attracted to. But right now Troy, along with the elite team of forensics experts known as the Tracers, is her only ally in a case that’s turning dangerously personal. A killer is reaching out to Elaina, taunting her, letting her know how ruthless he is and how close he’s getting. Now it’s not just her career that’s in jeopardy—it’s her life.

My Thoughts:

Unspeakable was a wonderfully paced book that hooked me from the first page. I never saw who the killer was until the very end. The author did a grand job of keeping you guessing. It was well-thought out and while the crimes were gruesome, the detail was not enough to upset the faint of heart and stomach. I also enjoyed the characters . I loved how the author layered her main character's development. There was enough romance for those that like this in their novels but it didn't overshadow the mystery aspect. If you enjoy your romantic suspense, then you will diffidently want to check out this series. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Very nice romantic suspense, although, as in the first book in this series, I would have liked for the protagonists to spend a little more time together. The suspense plot is once again very good and I can't wait to read the next book by this author. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
I must have rushed through these too quickly, or you'd think I'd be more invested in Troy's story. As is, I was too busy getting to know Elaina to focus too much on her hero. Another enjoyable thriller, and I can't seem to slow down. Hopped over to a different series, The Borderline, so I can get my Griffin fix while "slowing things down" with Tracers. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
I waited until I had what was then the whole Tracers series (first three). The first book, Untraceable, was pretty good. It took me a couple of chapters to get into it, but once I did it was a good, solid read.
The character development was there, the relationship made sense.

This one, not so much. Elaina is a newbie FBI agent who feels as if she has been set up to fail when sent to a small town/island in TX to investigate a murder. Lo and behold one of the residents of the town is a nonfiction author familiar with the murderer/circumstances of previous similar crimes. Well, that last statement is not quite true, which turns out to be one of many plot points that are just thrown out there and then dropped to be casually cleared up later.

There were a number of "mentions" that just seemed to be shared and neatly drawn together too quickly and nonchalantly dropped. The "hero" of this book also seemed to be one of those plot points. In the previous book of the series, much was made of what a player this guy is. Well, he didn't display such characteristics in this book. In fact, he seemed to go into the relationship full bore, without hesitation or angst, seemingly falling in lurve at first sight and spouting "I love you" with nary a glance over his shoulder or a hesitation in his proclamation.

Don't even get me started on what appeared to be a total abandonment of her hard-fought-for career for a man who can write his books anywhere.
  EllenAvondale | Mar 31, 2013 |

Griffin, Lauraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fell, HerbertÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jamie Ingram had exactly twenty-seven minutes to score.

Elaina McCord's dream of being an FBI profiler is threatened by her very first case--investigating a string of murders near a Texas beach resort. The victims, all young women, were brutally murdered, their bodies in abandoned in a desolate marshland. Elaina's hunch--met with disbelief by the local police--is that these are only the latest offerings from a serial killer who has been perfecting his art for years, growing bolder and more cunning with each strike. True-crime writer Troy Stockton has a reputation as an irresistible playboy who is the last person Elaina should trust, let alone be attracted to. But right now Troy, along with the elite team of forensics experts known as the Tracers, is her only ally in a case that's turning dangerously personal--Cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,390,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible