Bleed for Me by Michael Robotham

Bleed for Me (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Michael Robotham

Member:crimson-tide
Title:Bleed for Me
Authors:Michael Robotham
Info:Sphere (2010), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:ebooks, Your library
Tags:fiction, london, crime, murder, thriller, australian author, wgs, &ebook

Bleed for Me by Michael Robotham (2010)

English (37)  Dutch (2)  All languages (39)
excellent read
  Stormchaser | Sep 22, 2014 |
I requested this book from Netgalley to read and review. Shortly afterward I noticed that it was part of a series. For some reason Netgalley doesn't ever mention if a book is part of a series or not, so I had no idea. So I thought, well, if this is book four, then perhaps I should just decline it, since I haven't read the previous installments. But then I re-read the summary and was left with the impression that the plot of the story wouldn't depend on previous events.
Fortunately for me, that held to be true.
I was glad I made the decision to read it, because even though the book was lengthy, it proved to be entertaining and really good. It didn't lose my attention throughout the whole time. The mystery and suspense were on a really high level that kept me wanting to turn the page again and again.

"Bleed for me" is not a murder story, although there are more than a couple of corpses for investigation. It isn't the story of a psychopath who lures nothing suspecting girls into his schemes, though there's plenty of that. Nor is it the story of racial inequality in the UK.

"Bleed for me" is rather the story of Joe O'Loughlin - a college professor in psychology - post the time when he and his wife got separated and moved out to live in a village near Bristol. He's suffering the Parkinson's disease, taking medications that seem to become less and less efficient. Still, Joe keeps his sense of humor, dark it may be, and jokingly refers to his illness as Mr. Parkinson.

He's also passionate about knowing people in the depth of their psyche. And he's really good at it. It doesn't take him long to cut and paste a personality from just a couple of encounters and he's admirably accurate in his patient profiles. That's why he's well respected and sought after by the police.

I was pleasantly surprised by all the effort Joe put into his work. He'd go to any lengths to prove a person innocent or guilty. Sometimes he puts his own life at stake and others suffer for it. But in the end, no criminal or victim could escape his eagle eye.

The loyalty of his friends was striking. For who would ever mortgage their house just to pay a friend's bail? Surely, the candidates aren't many. Still, even one is enough when it's the right person.

I was really sad about Joe's circumstances. Not only because of his illness, but also because of his family situation. He missed his children and his wife, spent hours outside their house just to watch them and make sure they were alright. And he got nothing in return. I got the feeling that his wife abandoned him because he got sick. Aren't wedding vows sacred? Don't they state "in sickness and health"? And still she decided to protect herself from the pain it would cause her to lose him, rather than have him by her side for as long as he's alive. That's just plain wrong. She really, truly irritated me. Playing all saintly and caring, when it was herself that she wanted to protect. It was selfish and despicable. And truth is, he still loved her.

My favorite character had to be Vincent Ruiz. The friend in need, who really is a friend indeed (in deed as well). A retired cop, he's still got his mojo. A brilliant detective with a knack of things, he's definitely someone to want to be on the good side of. He's gentle and passionate, but can be ruthless as well. I loved him. Especially when I saw how caring he was towards a murder victim's parents.

Sienna was a broken little thing. I bled with her as she retold her story. A 13 year old, abused at home, then a teacher takes full advantage of her weakened mind. That was beyond anything I'd read so far, and it really stirred me. I wonder, how many children suffer things like that? How many enter life emotionally broken and dysfunctional? What if a child next door is one of them???

This was a happy end story, though through it all, does the death of one murderer, or the jail sentence of another, really mean a happy end for the victims? Some are dead, some are damaged for life. So, where is the happy end? ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
A Joe O’Loughlin & Vincent Ruiz novel. Joe becomes involved in a pedophilia case when his daughter’s best friend, Sienna, is missing, beaten and almost drown after her father is found murdered. The police believe she killed her father and Joe is called in for a psychological profile. Joe needs Ruiz’ help investigating while while struggling with his Parkinson’s disease and being separated from his wife. A page turner. ( )
  Kathy89 | Jun 11, 2013 |
This is the first book I have read by this author. He is good, very good. Characters, especially Joe are so well drawn. Setting and finally a plot with enough twists and turns to keep you reading. Not sure I'll do the priors since the reviews lead me to think they worked up to this book. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 26, 2013 |
A quick read, this book, it never lets go, so to speak.

Not that it is super exciting, but still. To be quite honest, I found the book a bit predictable. Not everything was according to the detective book, but very much in my opinion.
There was nothing surprising in, let me just put it that way. The psychologist who stands up for his daughter's best friend, against all better judgement, his quest for the truth in the story makes illogical jumps occasionally (as if he has received information that the reader does not get, despite the ego-perspective in the story lies on him).
The end is somewhat muddled. This is the one who did it, but no, he's not. Ah well, maybe a little, but the other is the main bad guy. A bit far fetched, feels like if there is something added at the end of the story, because the the number of pages had to be filled or so. For me that last part didn't add much. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Een citaat uit Lolita van Nabokov en een spreuk van Mark Twain.
voor Vivien
eigenlijk zou ik je eerst moeten vertellen hoe ik heet, al soet dat er niet echt toe, namen zijn maar etiketten die ons pas na verloop van tijd beginnen te passen.
Met het klimmen der jaren valt het me zwaarder mijn vriendschappen te onderhouden. Waarom dat zo is weet ik niet. Misschien hebben mensen tegen de tijd dat ze van middelbare leeftijd zijn wel genoeg vrienden. Misschien zit er een maximum aan en moeten we zodra dat is bereikt wachten tot er iemand sterft of zich terugtrekt, om pas dan weer nieuwe toe te kunnen laten.

Jij denkt dat je me kent.Jij denkt dat je me begrijpt.Dat doe je niet. Ik bloed voor jou.
Psycholoog Joe O'Loughlin wordt op een nacht opgeroepen als zijn dochters beste vriendin Sienna Hegarty is verdwenen. Joe vindt het meisje, besmeurd met bloed en niet in staat te praten. Het lichaam van Sienna's vader wordt gevonden in haar slaapkamer, zijn keel is doorgesneden, zijn schedel ingeslagen. Ondanks het overtuigende bewijs blijft Joe O'Loughlin geloven in Sienna's onschuld en hij verdiept zich in de zaak. Zijn onderzoek leidt hem naar een wereld van seksueel misbruik, chantage en politieke intriges. Samen met een oude vriend, de voormalige politie-inspecteur Vincent Ruiz, gaat Joe op zoek naar de dader. Dan begint de wanhopige zoektocht naar een man die jarenlang ongestraft de vreselijkste misdaden wist te plegen.

"Psychologist Joe O'Loughlin is being pushed away. His marriage is ending. Charlie, his eldest daughter, will barely speak to him. And Charlie's rebellious best friend Sienna is getting into more and more trouble, and taking Charlie along for the ride. Sienna has been almost like family to O'Loughlin-a troubled child who for years spent more time in the O'Loughlin residence than her own home. O'Loughlin's worst fears are confirmed when Sienna turns up at his front door, traumatized and covered in blood. The police find a major piece of the puzzle at Sienna's house: her father Ray Hegarty, a celebrated former police officer, murdered. The blood covering Sienna was her father's. She can't remember what happened, but, at the same time, doesn't mourn her father's death. O'Loughlin vows to unearth the dark secrets of Sienna's mind, hoping his efforts will win back the confidence of a daughter he may be in danger of losing forever. But as the accusations fly, the line between victim and accused begins to blur. When the detective in charge of the case seems all too eager to lay the blame at Sienna's feet rather than malign the honor of a respected former colleague, O'Loughlin begins to make his own inquiries. But each step he takes toward the truth also brings him closer to the path of a manipulative killer unlike anything he has ever encountered"--… (more)

Michael Robotham is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bleed for Me by Michael Robotham was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible