Zombies vs. Unicorns by Holly Black

Zombies vs. Unicorns (2010)

by Holly Black (Editor), Justine Larbalestier (Editor)

Other authors: Libba Bray (Contributor), Meg Cabot (Contributor), Cassandra Clare (Contributor), Kathleen Duey (Contributor), Alaya Johnson (Contributor)7 more, Maureen Johnson (Contributor), Margo Lanagan (Contributor), Garth Nix (Contributor), Naomi Novik (Contributor), Diana Peterfreund (Contributor), Carrie Ryan (Contributor), Scott Westerfeld (Contributor)

Series: Killer Unicorns (short story)

First: Team Zombie, OBVIOUSLY! But unicorns weren't too crappy, either. As always, some stories are better than others. But then again, some are great. I'm kinda starting to grow to like short stories, it appears. This battle, for instance, could not have been made without them. So hooray for short stories and coming up with a purpose for them! ( )
  Iira | Mar 20, 2016 |
Some great, some funny, some so-so. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 18, 2016 |
Definitely a book for high school age and up readers. Several stories are extremely violent and sexual, but humorous too. The running commentary at the beginning of each story between Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier helps set a more lighthearted tone. The collection is pretty evenly written. Maureen Johnson's Children of the Revolution and Alaya Dawn Johnson's Love Will Tear Us apart were particularly disturbing. My vote goes to Team Zombie. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
I sometimes have a very hard time with short story collections. Mostly because there are always a couple of stories that really just kind of suck. But there wasn't a single story that sucked here. Were there ones I liked more then others, absolutely but really there was no bad here. I also loved the banter between each story. It was funny and I felt like they offered good ways to think about zombies and unicorns and their history. Each story is labeled as either Unicorn or zombie so only have to read your side if you want. But I strongly reccommend reading it all because there is no bad here.

Unfortunately I was not able to pick a side having liked Unicorn and Zombie stories equally. My favorite zombie stories were Cold Hands by Cassandra Clare and and Prom Night by Libba Bray. My favorite unicorn stories were Princess Prettypants by Meg Cabot and The Care and Feeding of Your Baby Killer Unicorn by Diana Peterfund. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Westerfeld, ScottContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grafton, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Twelve short stories by a variety of authors seek to answer the question of whether zombies are better than unicorns.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,101,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible