Zombies vs. Unicorns by Holly Black

Zombies vs. Unicorns (2010)

by Holly Black (Editor), Justine Larbalestier (Editor)

Other authors: Libba Bray (Contributor), Meg Cabot (Contributor), Cassandra Clare (Contributor), Kathleen Duey (Contributor), Alaya Johnson (Contributor)7 more, Maureen Johnson (Contributor), Margo Lanagan (Contributor), Garth Nix (Contributor), Naomi Novik (Contributor), Diana Peterfreund (Contributor), Carrie Ryan (Contributor), Scott Westerfeld (Contributor)

Recently added byecmross, LittlNell13, private library, wisemetis, rexraine, charky, smurf8488, spelite, EBassett

A friend lent this book to me years back (actually, I should check if it was lent or given...) Anyway, it's a light quick read and the stories are entertaining and pretty even throughout. They switch back and forth between stories about zombies and stories about unicorns. Not all the unicorns are nice...in fact, most aren't. Not all the zombies are just out to eat brains (most are though). I think the only real shortcoming was the conversations between Black and Larblestier cheering on zombie or unicorn to introduce each story. Their shtick just didn't add anything and in the cases where a story coming up was particularly dark, their joking about cheering for their respective "team" set the wrong mood before wading in. ( )
  Sean191 | Dec 16, 2018 |
I've always been on Team Unicorn, ever since I was a kid and had unicorn wallpaper and unicorn figurines in my room. And while this book didn't quite make me switch sides, I definitely enjoyed the zombie stories more. The unicorn stories were much more disturbing. Far and away the best story was Maureen Johnson's "Children of the Revolution."
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |

Team Zombie: 20 stars

Team Zombie wins!
Except it doesn't. ( )
  nimbon | Jul 24, 2018 |
It was ok. I only really enjoyed about half of the stories. Cassandra Clare's and Meg Cabot's were the best. There also was one story that I enjoyed but it ended really suddenly and with no real conclusion which I hated. The best parts were the banter between Holly and Justine in the introduction and at the beginning of each chapter. If I had to choose I think I'd have to say the zombies won! ( )
  KeriLynneD | Jul 8, 2018 |
Like many collections, the quality of stories in Zombies vs. Unicorns varied considerably. A few stood out as particularly well-written glimpses into an alternate world. Others, and these were in the majority, were more or less forgettable. The editorial framing device was cute, but it wasn't enough to make a meme war between zombies and unicorns a thing, or to convince me that it ever was. ( )
  shabacus | Jun 25, 2018 |

Westerfeld, ScottContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grafton, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Twelve short stories by a variety of authors seek to answer the question of whether zombies are better than unicorns.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,148,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible