Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen

Ice Cold (2010)

by Tess Gerritsen

Series: Rizzoli & Isles (8)

1,7191246,278 (3.95)40

English (115)  Dutch (8)  German (2)  All languages (125)
I really enjoyed reading this one. The main plot involved a cult, where all of the members have mysteriously disappeared. I love stories about creepy cults. This book is mostly about Maura Isles, because she is the one stranded at the site of the cults disappearance. I think this is a good addition to the series, and I am ready to go to the library to look for the next book. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Rizzoli & Isles is one of my favorite series but this book was a little bit of a disappointment for me. I'm not saying I hated the book but I didn't love it either. I liked the first part of the book but I hated the ending. I hope the next book will be better. ( )
  CurlUpAndRead | Jun 10, 2019 |
Tess Gerritsen did it again in this thriller focusing on Dr. Marua Isles and her being stuck in a abandoned town. Scary at times, this book is hard to put down even to go to sleep---you have to keep reading until there is a less intense point in the story---which there are few! ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Nov 23, 2018 |
Ice Cold
3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
At a medical examiners conference in Wyoming, Maura Isles decides to take an unexpected trip with an old college acquaintance and his friends. However, things take a dangerous turn when they find themselves snowbound in an abandoned village, and realize that someone is watching them. Days later, Jane Rizzoli is left with more questions than answers when she is informed of her friend’s death, and travels to Wyoming where horrifying revelations slowly come to light and Jane moves closer to discovering the truth about Maura’s fate.

Review:
An intelligent if somewhat convoluted plot with quite a few twists and an unexpected ending.

Gerritsen is a skilled writer and is exceedingly adept at developing intriguing and complex characters. Maura’s characterization and development is a particularly good example of this. However, this skill also highlights one of the main problems in the book, namely the overabundance of new characters some of whom are introduced and well-detailed but suddenly disappear, and others who receive little attention and then become very important to the plot. In both instances, the reader is left with numerous unanswered questions.

While the story begins really well and has an interesting premise involving a cult and its apparently deserted compound, the pacing is all wrong. The plot fails to gain any real momentum until the last few chapters, and at which point it progresses too rapidly and the conclusion feels rushed.

Overall, Ice Cold is a light and satisfying read with some tense and thrilling moments, however, I definitely prefer the books in which Rizzoli is the primary focus. My rating for this book wavered between 3.5 and 4 stars but ultimately settled at the latter because this series is immensely entertaining. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
A tense, riviting story I found hard to put down. This is the first Tess Gerritsen book I've read. I'll be searching for others in the Rizolli & Isles series. ( )
  lewilliams | Apr 12, 2018 |

Tess Gerritsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jäger, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jack R. Winans - Kearny High School, San Diego. The lessons you taught me will last a lifetime.
She was the chosen one.
'Ice Cold' was also published as 'The Killing Place'

Boston homicide detective Jane Rizzoli receives the grim news that Maura's charred body has been found in a mountain ravine. Shocked and grieving, Jane is determined to learn what happened to her friend. The investigation plunges Jane into the twisted history of Kingdom Come, Wyoming, where a gruesome discovery lies buried beneath the snow.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tess Gerritsen's book Ice Cold was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,493,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible