What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt

What I Loved (2003)

by Siri Hustvedt

The shaking woman, or, A history of my nerves by Siri Hustvedt (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: both look into mental illnesses, but more important to me: both stress ambguity.
    By Nightfall by Michael Cunningham (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: vie d'un galeriste d'art à New York
    The Art of Murder by José Carlos Somoza (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: commentaire sur l'art qui enfreint les règles de la moralité

English (37)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (48)
This novel is an intense psychological study of each of its characters. In that respect, it bogged down for me. Reading it took time and concentration and a huge effort to keep going, the equivalent of a marathon road race. When you finally complete it, however, you feel as if you really accomplished something. Relationships are topsy-turvy and the partners are never really okay with the outcomes. Parenting skills suffer from an excess of over-caring. Does anyone come away unharmed? ( )
  musichick52 | Apr 29, 2015 |
After I got the hang of this book, I could hardly put it down. What a great read.
There's so much going on in this book, that it would be unfair to write that it is about friendship. Yes, friendship is the start of the book as it is and it plays a big role in the book as a whole, but there is so much more.
Different kinds of love, betrayal, loss and grieving. There's so much here that I'm surprised this relatively thin book doesn't explode.

Despite I'll be starting a new book today, this one will linger on in the background for a while. Maybe I'll even try to get a hold of the Dutch version, to spread the word, so to say. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 17, 2015 |
As an old man, partially blind, the retired art historian Leo Hertzberg looks back upon his marriage to Erica, his experience of fatherhood and above all his long friendship with artist Bill Weschler, Bill's first wife Lucille and second wife Violet, and his son Mark. From the early days of Bill's career (when Leo bought the first of his paintings) to the time when Bill is the darling of the art world (at least in Europe if not quite in New York) the families are close. The Weschlers even move in to the apartment above the Hertzberg's, and the closeness is further emphasized when their two baby boys are born within a few weeks of each other.

Much of the first part of the book chronicles Leo and Bill's growing friendship, the breakdown of Bill's first marriage to Lucille and subsequent marriage to Violet and detailed descriptions of Bill's art and Violet's study of the perception of hysteria in nineteenth century women. But at the start of Part Two a family tragedy occurs which throws the comfortable life of the couples into disarray, and which influences their lives for the remainder of the book.

I have to say that I didn't really enjoy this book at all. I didn't find the general depiction of the New York art world at all appealing, and the specific depictions of Bill's art were tedious and far too lengthy. And I didn't really care about or believe in any of the characters. Bill in particular is supposed to be a charismatic character ('Bill had glamour - that mysterious quality of attraction that seduces strangers' and when Leo was introduced to him he 'felt like a dwarf who had just been introduced to a giant'), but I certainly didn't think that this magnetism was conveyed to the reader. As the book develops it seems to develop more of the characteristics of a psychological thriller, raising certain expectations about how the rest of the book will develop, but then seems to lose these again so the expectations are dashed.

I would probably not have finished this book if it hadn't been my next RL book club choice. To be honest I'd doubt if I'd have got beyond page 10 or so. ( )
3 vote SandDune | Oct 3, 2014 |
As fine a book as I have ever read. Beautifully written with intriguing characters and a solid, slice of life storyline. ( )
  DougJ110 | May 8, 2014 |

Siri Hustvedtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holt, Heleen tenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Paul Auster
Yesterday, I found Violet's letters to Bill.

What I Loved begins in New York in 1975, when art historian Leo Hertzberg discovers an extraordinary painting by an unknown artist in a SoHo gallery. He buys the work; tracks down the artist, Bill Wechsler; and the two men embark on a life-long friendship. Leo's story, which spans twenty-five years, follows the growing involvement between his family and Bill's--an intricate constellation of attachments that includes the two men, their wives, Erica and Violet, and their sons, Matthew and Mark.

The families live in the same New York apartment building, rent a house together in the summers and keep up a lively exchange of ideas about life and art, but the bonds between them are tested, first by sudden tragedy, and then by a monstrous duplicity that slowly comes to the surface. A beautifully written novel that combines the intimacy of a family saga with the suspense of a thriller, What I Loved is a deeply moving story about art, love, loss, and betrayal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:34 -0400)

Story begins in New York in 1975, when art historian Leo Hertzberg discovers an extraordinary painting by an unknown artist in a SoHo gallery. He buys the work and tracks down the artist, Bill Wechsler, and the two men embark on a life-long friendship. Leo's story spans twenty-five years and follows the evolution of the growing involvement between his family and Bill's--an intricate constellation of attachments that includes the two men their wives, Erica and Violet and their children, Matthew and Mark. Over the years, they not only enjoy love but endure loss.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,892,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible