Mockingbird by Walter Tevis

Mockingbird (original 1980; edition 1984)

by Walter Tevis

5212019,425 (3.98)10
Member:Blue_Astral
Title:Mockingbird
Authors:Walter Tevis
Info:Corgi Adult (1984), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:science fiction, robots, dystopian

Mockingbird by Walter Tevis (1980)

Recently added byPolyp, LolaWalser, StaticBlaq, kvrfan, private library, ScottDDanielson, PatrickSwanson, tremali, e-b

English (17)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (20)
3.5 ( )
  e-b | Mar 11, 2015 |
Wow, just wow. Why has this work not come to my attention before? I can see now why it's in the Masterworks series.

If you're looking for adventure or a fast-paced thriller - walk away now. This is a slow-burner with a gentle pace, but it'll keep you hooked. Set a couple of hundred years in the future, the world is on a downward spiral. No great catastrophe, or alien incursion - just a running-down of humanity. A couple of sparks still exist that might rekindle the flame - a near omniscient robot, and the one man left who can read. The slow unfolding of their stories is set out in a simple and measured way: the writing is very good indeed.

I'm not going to elaborate further on the story, and you shouldn't read the blurb before diving in. Just read it. ( )
  Noisy | Sep 7, 2014 |
A classic and justly famous dystopia, written in a deceptively simple fashion and quite moving (watching the two leads rediscover literacy and love was surprisingly gripping). ( )
  salimbol | Sep 20, 2013 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-ah
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-ah ( )
  Saretta.L | Apr 26, 2013 |
Mockingbird is a book about an android who is weary of life and can't kill himself and the human race who is killing itself and too drugged to be weary of life.

It was in parts a beautiful book and a novel exploration of well-trodden themes.

I had some issues with artistic choices that the author made which made me drop this from a 4 star to a 3 star book. First, the author sacrifices immersion in the world for plot. I know that there are good reasons for doing so and that his chosen "voice", that of journal entries, does not lend itself to the type of immersion that I would find satisfying. Additionally, I found some of the repetitions of bits of poetry to pull me out of the experience as well. It wasn't that they did not fit with the voice and story, it was just unsatisfying. ( )
  Hegemellman | Apr 2, 2013 |
The inner life of a human being is a vast and varied realm and does not concern itself alone with stimulating arrangements of color, form, and design. Edward Hopper
For Eleanora Walker
Walking up Fifth Avenue at midnight, Spofforth begins to whistle.

Mockingbird is a powerful novel of a future world where humans are dying.  Those that survive spend their days in a narcotic bliss or choose a quick suicide rather than slow extinction. Humanity's salvation rests with an android who has no desire to live, and a man and a woman who must discover love, hope, and dreams of a world reborn.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:43 -0400)

The future is a grim place in which the declining human population wanders, drugged and lulled by electronic bliss. Even Spofforth - the most perfect machine ever created - cannot bear the oppressive existence. But hope lies in the form of a man and a woman who find passion and joy in love and in books.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,146,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible