Mr Rosenblum's List by Natasha Solomons

Mr Rosenblum's List (2010)

by Natasha Solomons

English (36)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All (40)
This was really charming and a tiny bit twee. Solomons lets her characters go to some dark places and I wish she'd let them linger there awhile.

Wonderful descriptions of nature. I am ready to move into my own thatched cottage. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
I was really pleased with this novel.

The novel isn't too long, the chapters are quite short and it's a really manageable read. While the plot or pretence is more whimsical than believable it was still really sweet and the characters were characters that I liked as people.

This was my first Natasha Solomons novel that I read and I did go on to read a few of her other books and really enjoyed them as well.

If you like really twee, gentle, humorous sorts of reads then you'll probably really enjoy this book. But despite the fact that it was very light there were some big themes in there and that helped to give the novel a little more depth.

Overall, I did really enjoy this novel and it's one that I recommend to quite a few people quite readily.
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English – Natasha Solomons
4 stars

In August of 1937, Jack Rosenblum, his wife and small daughter arrive in England. They are German Jewish Refugees. No other members of their family escape what is to come. Jack determines to follow every word of the advice given the pamphlet “While you are in England: Helpful Information and Friendly Guidance for Every Refugee”. Jack’s watchword becomes “assimilation”.
From an initial purchase of some odd lengths of carpet, Jack builds a successful manufacturing business. As the years pass he studies the English carefully and adds a growing list of behaviors to the helpful advice pamphlet. Jack aspires to be a typical English gentleman. To be an English gentleman one must belong to a golf club. And here Jack runs into a snag. Golf clubs being bastions of snobbery and prejudice, Jack is refused admission. Undaunted, Jack determines to build his own golf course and make the membership open to everyone.

What follows is a warm, humorous story. Initially snubbed by the Dorset natives, Jack wins them over to his cause. Setbacks and escapades abound in their efforts to complete nine holes in time for the Queen’s coronation. Jack charts his progress in a series of unanswered letters to Bobby Jones and drinks the fiery home-brewed cider provided by his staunch friend, Curtis. Meanwhile, Jack’s wife, Sadie provides a counterbalance to Jack’s ambitions. Sadie devotes her days to remembering the dead by baking the recipes preserved in Mutti’s cookbook. In a sometimes painful process, Jack and Sadie find their way back to their earlier loving relationship.

This is an English village comedy in the tradition of James Herriot with engaging characters, a beautiful setting and a sense of community. The underlying message is always felt, but it is not preached. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I’d like to go to Dorset to play a round of golf, even though, like Jack, I’ve never swung a club.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
In its attention to the ways immigrants can become alienated from both their native and their adopted countries, Mr Rosenblum's List has much more to it than the nostalgic vision of Englishness suggested by its cover.

MR ROSENBLUM DREAMS IN ENGLISH:
At the outset of World War II, Jack Rosenblum and his family escape from Berlin for London. Jack enthusiastically embraces the "Welcome" pamphlet instructing immigrants how to act like "the English." He acquires Savile Rowe suits and a Jaguar. He never speaks German, apart from the occasional curse. But one key item - membership in a golf club - remains elusive. So Jack hatches a wild idea: he'll build his won golf course.
Jack's wife, Sadie, does not share this obsession. She wants to cook her mother's recipes and remember the life they left behind. When Jack relocates them to the English countryside, Sadie watches their savings diminish as Jack pursues his quixotic dream. This tender, sweetly comic novel tells the captivating story of a couple making a new life - and their wildest dreams - come true.

After escaping Germany during WWII, Jack and Sadie Rosenblum, together with their baby daughter, settle into a life of acting "English." In post-war England, however, no golf club will admit a Rosenblum. So Jack hatches a wild idea: he'll build his own. It's an obsession Sadie does not share, particularly when Jack relocates them to a thatched roof cottage in Dorset to embark on his project.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,319,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible