Mr Rosenblums List by Natasha Solomons

Mr Rosenblums List (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Natasha Solomons

Member:Drumlin
Title:Mr Rosenblums List
Authors:Natasha Solomons
Info:Hodder Ome (2010), Paperback, 320 pages

Mr Rosenblum's List by Natasha Solomons (2010)

English (37)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (41)
I read this a couple of years ago. What a story about the desire to fit in. I imagine there are many immigrants around the world right now, asylum seekers too, who are following their own versions of Mr. Rosenblum's list. Reading it makes you realise how hard we make it for others, and yes, I do mean even today, not just when this book was set. Nothing has changed. Beautifully written, but at times painful to read, when you see the struggles they have to try to fit in. This book is on my list of my Top 10 reads ever. ( )
  Kiwimrsmac | Nov 29, 2017 |
This was really charming and a tiny bit twee. Solomons lets her characters go to some dark places and I wish she'd let them linger there awhile.

Wonderful descriptions of nature. I am ready to move into my own thatched cottage. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
I was really pleased with this novel.

The novel isn't too long, the chapters are quite short and it's a really manageable read. While the plot or pretence is more whimsical than believable it was still really sweet and the characters were characters that I liked as people.

This was my first Natasha Solomons novel that I read and I did go on to read a few of her other books and really enjoyed them as well.

If you like really twee, gentle, humorous sorts of reads then you'll probably really enjoy this book. But despite the fact that it was very light there were some big themes in there and that helped to give the novel a little more depth.

Overall, I did really enjoy this novel and it's one that I recommend to quite a few people quite readily.
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
In its attention to the ways immigrants can become alienated from both their native and their adopted countries, Mr Rosenblum's List has much more to it than the nostalgic vision of Englishness suggested by its cover.

MR ROSENBLUM DREAMS IN ENGLISH:
At the outset of World War II, Jack Rosenblum and his family escape from Berlin for London. Jack enthusiastically embraces the "Welcome" pamphlet instructing immigrants how to act like "the English." He acquires Savile Rowe suits and a Jaguar. He never speaks German, apart from the occasional curse. But one key item - membership in a golf club - remains elusive. So Jack hatches a wild idea: he'll build his won golf course.
Jack's wife, Sadie, does not share this obsession. She wants to cook her mother's recipes and remember the life they left behind. When Jack relocates them to the English countryside, Sadie watches their savings diminish as Jack pursues his quixotic dream. This tender, sweetly comic novel tells the captivating story of a couple making a new life - and their wildest dreams - come true.

After escaping Germany during WWII, Jack and Sadie Rosenblum, together with their baby daughter, settle into a life of acting "English." In post-war England, however, no golf club will admit a Rosenblum. So Jack hatches a wild idea: he'll build his own. It's an obsession Sadie does not share, particularly when Jack relocates them to a thatched roof cottage in Dorset to embark on his project.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,529,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible