Song of Kali by Dan Simmons

Song of Kali (1985)

by Dan Simmons

English (37)  German (1)  All languages (38)
Decades ago I read the Hyperion books by Dan Simmons and thought "it's time to read "Song of Kali"; it should be good. As ever, my younger self was wrong.

An American man and his Indian born wife travel to Calcutta, or Kolkata, as it is now, and see and witness some terrible things. So, pretty much the standard experience from visitors to Calcutta. I still get shivers thinking about the size of the rats Simmons describes and the book has made sure that I will be doing everything within my power to avoid ever visiting Kolkata (as a cricket fan, this is a big statement). ( )
  MiaCulpa | Oct 10, 2018 |
Para ser el primer libro de Simmons -desde luego, se superó con obras impresionantes como "El Terror" o "Hyperion", se trata de una solvente historia que juega con el misterio, lo policiaco y lo sobrenatural con buen pulso y ritmo general.

Aunque no me ha llegado a causar una inmersión total como lector, y algunos aspectos me han llegado a repeler (esa imagen de inmundicia casi absoluta de Calcuta), y la snob pareja protagonista -aspectos subjetivos, sin duda-, se trata de un libro muy disfrutable si te coge en el momento adecuado y los temas que tratan son especialmente afines a tus gustos.

Simmons es un gran autor, y ya lo fue demostrando con este principio de carrera :)

Mi reseña completa aquí.
  LuisBermer | Sep 2, 2018 |
REVIEWED: Song of Kali
WRITTEN BY: Dan Simmons
PUBLISHED: January, 1998

Song of Kali is a well written novel of dark fiction, though hardly “the most frightening book ever written” as heralded across reviews and its book cover. There are actually very few scenes that seemed particularly scary at all. The plot is fair and emotionally-driven, compelling and sad, with good pacing, conflict, etc. And, man!, can this author write! The technical ability of Dan Simmons is extraordinary. However, the book just felt barely “above-average,” rather than fantastic, after closing the final page. The ending is anticlimactic, i.e. dreadful (in terms of boredom)... this story had so much potential to have been greater. The backdrop and circumstances Simmons established could have led to many, many more frightening scenes than he used. All-in-all, a fine read, especially as this is the first novel he ever wrote. Note to reader: His books get much better.

Four out of Five stars ( )
  Eric_J._Guignard | Jul 26, 2018 |
This is a more literate genre novel than most. The story was gripping and propulsive even when I had a hard time suspending disbelief. But the images of Calcutta seemed somewhat stylized--Dickensian squalor without the redeeming Dickensian prose--and the characters didn't exactly wow me with their depth. Then again, this is a genre novel, so maybe my expectations were a little off? Maybe. Still, in the end I liked it well enough. ( )
  MichaelBarsa | Dec 17, 2017 |
Song of Kali is one of those books that you will never get out of your mind. The images painted of the slums of Calcutta, the human refuse, the disregard for life, the protrayal of the city makes a lasting impression.

Without giving anything away, the book, while not "scary", is certainly deeply troubling, and the ending will stick with you for a very long time.

bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
"For HARLAN ELLISON,

who has heard the song,

And for KAREN and JANE,

who are my other voices"
Some places are too evil to be allowed to exist.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031286583X, Paperback)

"O terrible wife of Siva / Your tongue is drinking the blood, / O dark Mother! O unclad Mother." It is remarkable that prior to writing this first novel, Dan Simmons had spent only two and a half days in Calcutta, a city "too wicked to be suffered," his narrator says. Fortunately back in print after several years during which it was hard to obtain, this rich, bizarre novel practically reeks with atmosphere. The story concerns an American poet who travels with his Indian wife and their baby to Calcutta to pick up an epic poem cycle about the goddess Kali. The Bengali poet who wrote the poem cycle has disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

Horror critic Edward Bryant calls Song of Kali "an exactingly constructed, brutal, and uncompromising study of the degree to which an evil place may permeate and steep all that makes us human" and writes that it embodies "the stance of a psychologically violent novel about a violent society as a defensible and indisputably moral work of art." Song of Kali won a World Fantasy Award. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:06 -0400)

Robert Luczak, sent to Calcutta to interview the mysterious poet, M. Das, who has been missing for ten years, discovers that the missing man is mixed up in the death-worshiping cult of of Kali.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,554,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible