Summer of My German Soldier (Puffin Modern…

Summer of My German Soldier (Puffin Modern Classics) (original 1973; edition 2006)

by Bette Greene

Member:kimmi
Title:Summer of My German Soldier (Puffin Modern Classics)
Authors:Bette Greene
Info:Puffin (2006), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene (1973)

I need to reread this book, I remember reading in high school and how I liked it but I don't think I really appreciated it. ( )
  almin | Jul 29, 2018 |
One of my favorite required readings. ( )
  amyghilton | May 11, 2018 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Apr 27, 2018 |
12 year old Jewish girl Patty lives in a loveless home with a mother who neglects her and a physically abusive father. When she is in the family store in Arkansas one afternoon during the summer, a group of German POWs are brought in to buy hats. But the German prisoner, Anton Reiker, who acts as a translator, who has perfect English, wants pencils and paper. Patty helps him, and completely falls for his kindness and courtesy.

Soon afterwards, Reiker escapes from the prison. Patty chances to see him running, and hides him in a hidden attic space over her family's garage. They develop a bond over the course of a few days before, mainly for Patty's safety, Anton runs away again.

The final third of the book deals with the consequences Patty faces when her act of helping the prisoner is discovered. ( )
  fingerpost | Oct 5, 2017 |
The summer that Patty Bergen turns 12 is a summer that will haunt her forever. When her small hometown in Arkansas becomes the site of a camp housing German prisoners during WWII, Patty learns what it means to open her heart.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
For
Ann Sternberg
&
Donald S. Greene, MD
My Superstars
Pam & Teresa Dunn
When I saw the crowd gathering at the train station, I worried what President Roosevelt would think.

Minutes before the train pulled into the station in Jenkinsville, Arkansas, Patty Bergen knew something exciting was going to happen. But she never could have imagined that her summer would be so memorable. German prisoners of war have arrived to make their new home in the prison camp in Jenkinsville. To the rest of her town, these prisoners are only Nazis. But to Patty, a young Jewish girl with a turbulent home life, one boy in particular becomes an unlikely friend. Anton relates to Patty in ways that her mother and father never can. But when their forbidden relationship is discovered, will Patty risk her family and town for the understanding and love of one boy?

The summer that Patty Bergen turns twelve is a summer that will haunt her forever. When her small hometown in Arkansas becomes the site of a camp housing German prisoners during World War II, Patty learns what it means to open her heart. Even though she's Jewish, she begins to see a prison escapee, Anton, not as a Nazi, but as a lonely, frightened young man with feelings not unlike her own.

In Anton, Patty finds someone who softens the pain of her own father's rejection and who appreciates her in a way her mother never will. While patriotic feelings run high, Patty risks losing family, friends — even her freedom — for this dangerous friendship. It is a risk she has to take and one she will have to pay a price to keep.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:46 -0400)

When German prisoners of war are brought to her Arkansas town during World War II, twelve-year-old Patty, a Jewish girl, befriends one of them and must deal with the consequences of that friendship.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,162,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible