How to Get Divorced by 30: My Misguided…

How to Get Divorced by 30: My Misguided Attempt at a Starter Marriage

by Sascha Rothchild

As another person who got divorced by 30, I was powerless when I saw this at the library. It was by turns funny and painful to read. Some of the territory Rothchild assays here was quite familiar to me. It's not an unusual story, I suppose, though the fact that she lived in LA and was seriously OCD and obsessed with her weight added a little bit of otherness to the story. I whooshed through it in an evening and enjoyed it for the most part. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I picked this book randomly off the library shelf. On the basis of the subtitle, I expected this to be about someone who had deliberately set out to find a starter marriage, perhaps a sham marriage to get wedding gifts or something. But this was more about someone who just kinda went with the flow and found herself married when she really shouldn't have been. It was a quick read and well enough written but somehow just did not grab me. It just seemed like an account of a fairly typical 20s experience, with the marriage and divorce not being as central as the title might imply. ( )
  Deesirings | Oct 31, 2011 |
I really enjoy the frankness of this book. Rothchild has an excellent writing style, easy to read and sharp. ( )
  goldnyght | May 15, 2010 |
LMAO...I read this book in one sitting. Wonderful book. This is one of those books that you either will relate or won't and for me, I definitely related. It didn't feel like I was reading it felt like me, and the author, were sharing some drinks kicking back and sharing stories. What a gift to be able to write a story and the reader feels as if she is your only audience. WHOOT...way to go.

I only have one warning, and I do this whenever I read books that are at times explicit in either language or sexual content. It doesn't offend me but I know it does some, and I have to be careful of my younger daughters who like to raid my books sooo; I mark the ones I find that have such things. This is one of them. While it certainly is not overdone there are a few times it could be said not for the sensitive. ( )
  justablondemoment | Apr 15, 2010 |
added by sascharothchild | editThat Austin Girl (Mar 3, 2010)

added by sascharothchild | editCyber-Dating Expert (Mar 3, 2010)

added by sascharothchild | editVariety (Mar 3, 2010)

added by sascharothchild | editPlum (Feb 15, 2010)

For Susan, who told me to write it down. For John, who taught me how.
"It's very sad when a five-year marriage only lasts two and a half years."

Read Sascha Rothchild's posts on the Penguin Blog.

A hilarious memoir about the ending of a marriage that should have lasted forever-or at least for five years.

It's an age-old story. Girl meets boy. Girl marries boy. Girl decides she is way too young to be stuck in nuptial mediocrity.

When Sascha realized that the one person she didn't want at her thirtieth birthday party was her husband, she knew that it was time for the relationship to end. So, like the hordes of others of her generation for whom starter marriages are as common as Louis Vuitton knock-offs and $5 Starbucks lattes, they got divorced. With wit, moxie, and honesty, Sascha spills about the horrible ex-boyfriends, awkward dates, drugs, a near-death experience, and memories of growing up in an unconventional household that led to her short- lived marriage.

A story of love, loss, a flat-screen TV named Ruby, and plenty of misguided decisions, How to Get Divorced by 30 is a hysterical look at what exactly "Til death do us part" means today.

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:25 -0400)

Sascha Rothchild is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Sascha Rothchild chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 15, 2010 to Mar 28, 2010. Read the chat.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,204,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible