Dragon Soul by Jaida Jones

Dragon Soul

by Jaida Jones, Danielle Bennett (Author)

I think I may have just been in a 'mood', but I had to push myself to get through the first hundred pages of this book. I say a 'mood' because once I actually got into the book I enjoyed it... well the Rook and Thom parts. I have to be a little truthful and confess that I skipped some of the parts that weren't the two men's narratives. I don't think I would have finished it if I'd had to wade through all the other stuff. Selfish of me? Perhaps if I'd read the book at some other time, I could have enjoyed the women's naratives as much. Either way, I'm glad I stuck to it. I'm even more in love with Rook and Thom than before. ( )
  Kassilem | Sep 25, 2012 |
Although I'm still enjoying this fantasy series it seems I have to work harder each time to maintain an interest in the story. What started out as totally engrossing in "Havemercy" has rather waned a bit in this entry. It was nice to re-visit with Thom and Rook, and to see their sibling relationship progress. Although I also liked Malahide and Madoka (along with her much less developed tag-along, Badger) I really wasn't drawn into their stories. Overall this entry seemed maybe more wordy than necessary and at the same time less detailed than what I might have liked. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Despite the fact that I have an ER copy of "Steelhands" I really feel the need to take a break from this universe so I'm putting it off just for a little bit. Hopefully once I get to it (shortly, I promise) it will go a little faster than this one did. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Jul 25, 2011 |
Let's start by saying that if you read Havemercy, you know these two authors are capable of incredible writing. And Dragon Soul does not disappoint in that category. The writing is very well executed. It's not unbelievably fantastic, but it's well done- I didn't have any spots where I got tripped up or confused. The authors' point always comes across clearly.

I also felt that the characters were well realized. I love the way Rook is written, because when you're reading him in first person, you feel like maybe he's misunderstood, etc., but then when you read Thom talking about Rook, you realize that that's just his character, the way he his. It's a great example of an author showing instead of telling, because you do actually fall under that spell. I felt that Thom, Rook, and Madoka were interesting, fully thought-out characters. I loved each of their story lines and never felt bored when I was reading them. I think the authors may have slacked off a little with Malahide. She doesn't remind me of Caius, but I did feel she was a little less... real, I guess is the word I'm looking for. She was interesting, but I felt that I didn't care as much what happened to her. However, I'm hoping to see her character expanded in future books.

This book is lively, fast-paced, and it made me laugh quite a few times. It is not, though, perfect, and does have a couple of flaws. If you read Shadow Magic before this, you'll understand when I say that the biggest flaw I found was that, throughout the whole book, the authors seem to be leading up to certain characters becoming romantically involved. But at the end of the book, you find this doesn't really pan out the way you thought it would. Perhaps these romantic interests will be progressed upon in future books? I hope so.

And I do hope these women will continue to write, because they really are talented. Havemercy was one of the better books I've read in a long time, and while Dragon Soul is not quite as good, it's still very entertaining, and very worth reading. Give it a try. ( )
1 vote placebo_junkie | Apr 24, 2011 |
Warning: Spoilers

Here's the thing: I love this series. But this book fell short of the previous two. Like Havemercy and Shadow Magic, Dragon Soul is narrated by the alternating first person views of four main characters. Two of them, Rook and Thom, were also narrators in Havemercy. I love these two characters. The two new ones, Madoka and Malahide, are what brought the book down for me. Practically every time I got to their parts, I fell asleep. I just didn't care about them as characters, and maybe that's my bias, because I was already so committed to Rook and Thom's story. They both seemed very unoriginal. Malahide referred to others as "my dear" a lot, which was one of Shadow Magic's Caius trademarks. Madoka's personality was too much like Rook's. And Rook, Madoka, and Malahide, at some point in the story, all thought the phrase: "the universal sign for ________". What are the odds of three different characters thinking this exact same phrase? Apparently very high.

One thing I love about the series is how great the characterization is. And even though this has always resulted in more description than dialogue, it never negatively affected the overall story for me until this third installment. All too often, discussions were mixed in with such long, descriptive analyzations in the current narrator's mind that by the time he or she answered, I would forget what the other person had said or what the conversation was even about.

On a more positive note, I enjoyed Rook and Thom even more in this book, something I didn't think possible. It was great reading about their influences on each other. I loved when they met magician Sarah Fleet, Havemercy's maker. And could anything be more heart-wrenchingly bittersweet than when Rook and Have get to say goodbye?

So, to sum things up, I really do love this series. Therefore, I would recommend this book, but I know that when I get around to rereading it, I'll probably only go through the Rook/Thom parts. I've been a fan of the authors for a long time (I'm talking back to the Shoebox days), but for me, this book was 50% awesome and a 50% snore-fest. ( )
  starkid51 | Jul 5, 2010 |

Jaida Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bennett, DanielleAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my dad, who still wants to visit New Zealand - JJ
To Grandma Marjorie and Taid, for spoiling me rotten and fighting to stay awake when when I wanted "just one more story" - DB
On the day Rook became my brother again, I turned into a liar.

"Havemercy introduced readers to a brilliantly realized world riven by an intractable war between the kingdoms of Volstov and Ke-Han -- a war in which the great dragons of Volstov -- deadly hybrids of machine and magic -- and their equally fierce human riders were all that kept the dark sorcery of Ke-Han at bay. In Shadow Magic, Jones and Bennett brought the common humanity of the opposing sides to life in an adventure that showcased once again their talent for creating not only fantastic settings but vivid characters to inhabit them. Now Jones and Bennett are back with ... two beloved characters, the brothers Rook and Thom. When the war was at its height, there was no fighter on either side who could match Rook for sheer arrogance and skill. Only Rook could ride the great dragon Havemercy, whose savagery and bloodlust matched his own. Thom could not be more different. Bookish, diffident, reserved, he yearns for his brother's approval -- yet fears he can never earn it. With the war over, and an uneasy truce holding between Volstov and Ke-Han, it seems the perfect opportunity for the long-lost brothers to forge a bond by taking a trip together. At least, that's how it seems to Thom. Rook hasn't given a rat's ass about anything since the end of the war, his brother included, and he's not about to start now. Not when the one thing he loved in the world -- Havemercy -- lies scattered in pieces across Ke-Han. Then Rook and Thom discover that someone is buying up bits of the fallen dragons, including Havemercy. Though the dragons are dead, the magic that powered them is not -- and if that magic and the technology created to harness it should fall into the wrong hands, the fragile peace could shatter. An agent from Ke-Han, a sorceress from Volstov, and a group of desert tribesmen are all in the race, and the future rests on whoever gets there first. But all that matters to Rook is that someone is desecrating his girl, so he vows to leave no stone unturned in laying her to rest -- and taking his revenge."--Jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,644,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible