The Wide-Awake Princess by E. D. Baker

The Wide-Awake Princess (edition 2010)

by E. D. Baker

2361948,914 (3.92)3
Title:The Wide-Awake Princess
Authors:E. D. Baker
Info:New York : Bloomsbury Books for Young Readers, 2010.
Collections:Read, Read but unowned, Cover maybe done
Tags:Fic, Childrens, @ReadFrom:LibraryAC

The Wide-Awake Princess by E. D. Baker

I have had this book on my bookshelf to read for quite some time. It was an okay read and I think elementary aged girls will enjoy it. For me it was pretty simple and predictable. I also had some trouble relating and engaging with the characters.

Terrified of the curse that was put on their eldest daughter Princess Gwen (basically a sleeping beauty curse) the King and Queen of the realm ask a good fairy to prevent their youngest daughter Princess Annie from being similarly cursed. As a result Princess Annie is spelled so that no magic will work on her. Sounds awesome until you consider that all the Princes and Princesses of the area are magically enhanced both in beauty and in abilities. This results in Annie being a rather plain princess. However, when Gwen succumbs to her curse and the whole kingdom falls asleep it is up to Princess Annie to save it...because of course the curse couldn’t affect Princess Annie.

I don’t really have any problems with this book; it was just kind of okay in every area. The plot was incredibly predictable and the characters very stereotypical. Even Annie’s tomboy-like rebellion (which wasn’t all that rebellious) is very typical of many of these types of princess stories.

I found the whole thing to be a bit bland and boring. The adventure was kind of bland, the romance very cutesy but not that engaging, and the plot just very predictable.

I think younger girls will enjoy this story though. It does convey a good message; basically to be yourself and that it’s what you do and who you are...not how you look that matters. Although I was a bit frustrated that despite Annie’s supposedly plain appearance she is depicted as a beautiful slender blond on the front cover of the book.

Overall this was an okay book. I think it is a book best left to younger readers; especially young girls who enjoy princess stories. I am an older girl who enjoys princess stories but this story didn’t really appeal to me it was just too bland and predictable. ( )
  krau0098 | Nov 13, 2015 |
Not amazing, but a worthy read and a lot of fun. Plenty of adventure, humor, and insight. Not subtle, but it'll still make the reader think. If you're worried that your little girl is too much into princesses, this is a princess book she'll enjoy and you won't mind reading. With a less girly cover, I could imagine her brother enjoying it, too. Probably best for ages 10-12 or so, not the littlest. And of course, also terrific for us grown-ups who still have a fairy-tale loving little girl inside. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Super cute mixture of a bunch of the better known fairytales. Could be read as a good stand alone. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Super fun book for all you princess and fairy tale lovers. Annie is a princess without any magic. Her sister is sleeping beauty and she goes looking for princes to kiss her and break the spell. Along the way, she runs into many other fairy tales. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 30, 2014 |
A very clever retelling of Sleeping Beauty from the POV of her younger sister, who doesn't fall asleep after her older sibling pricks her finger on the spindle. Why? Because her overcautious parents, freaked out by the curse put on their firstborn, asked another fairy to ensure that their younger child would be resistant to magic.

This is a great premise, which E. D. Baker fleshes out nicely in this middle-grades book. Apparently, fairy-tale characters are only perpetually lovely and charming and talented because they've been enchanted. But because she has no such "gifts," Annie is not only ordinary in every way, her very presence disenchants those around her. At home, this makes for a lonely existence, since no one in her family wants her anywhere near them lest they start to look old or plain. But when Annie sets out on a quest to round up a bunch of princes to kiss her sister awake, her ability to resist spells and to see through magic facades proves to be her best asset.

Baker's story draws in and parodies lots of other recognizable fairy tales and tropes, so this is a fun read for grownups as well.

In places, the writing is a little stilted, and the ending seems very rushed to me. But overall, a fun, quick read! ( )
  rvhatha | Mar 7, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to my fans, whose loyalty and enthusiasm has meant so much to me -- particularly the fans on my message board, those who send letters, and those who send their wonderful entries to my contests. It is also dedicated to my family, whose understanding about late dinners and a messy house enables me to keep writing.
"WE CAN'T LET IT HAPPEN again," Queen Karolina said, dabbing at the tears that glistened in her deep blue eyes.
We can't let it happen again," Queen Karolina said, dabbing at the tears that glistened in her deep blue eyes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159990487X, Hardcover)

In this new stand-alone fairy tale, Princess Annie is the younger sister to Gwen, the princess destined to be Sleeping Beauty. When Gwennie pricks her finger and the whole castle falls asleep, only Annie is awake, and only Annie—blessed (or cursed?) with being impervious to magic—can venture out beyond the rose-covered hedge for help. She must find Gwen's true love to kiss her awake.

But who is her true love? The irritating Digby? The happy-go-lucky Prince Andreas, who is holding a contest to find his bride? The conniving Clarence, whose sinister motives couldn't possibly spell true love? Joined by one of her father's guards, Liam, who happened to be out of the castle when the sleeping spell struck, Annie travels through a fairy tale land populated with characters both familiar and new as she tries to fix her sister and her family . . . and perhaps even find a true love of her own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

Annie, younger sister of the princess who would be known as Sleeping Beauty, is immune to magic and stays awake when the rest of the castle falls into an enchanted sleep, then sets out to find a way to break the spell.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,848,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible