Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck

Tiger's Curse

by Colleen Houck

Series: Tiger's Curse (1)

I'll finish reading this book eventually, but haven't touched it in almost a month, so I'm taking it of my currently reading list
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
This book was recommended to me by my friend Brynne, who was all "It's super amazing" so I was all "Okay, I'll read it." Guess what? It's amazing. The reason I gave it four stars and not five is because there was a bit too much romance for my taste. It was supposed to be about breaking the curse, and while it was at the beginning, that kind of got pushed aside by the romance. Also, Kelsey kept talking about his handsome face. The specific word "handsome" was used way too many times. What I loved, though, was how Kelsey was very straight-forward. When she was mad, she said, "I'm mad and this is why. Let's talk it out so it can be resolved." It was such a refreshing change! But she had no confidence. Kelsey went on about how Ren was super hot and she was just a radish and she should leave before she got her heart broken.

*Tiger Facepalm*
Even the tiger knows that Kelsey should stay with the hot guy who's totally into her.

The only other book I can remember reading that had Indian culture in it was one of the Children of the Lamp books. There were also several Hindi words included, most of which were defined right away. One wasn't, and Ren was like "I'll tell you later." But I was all, "I have Google Translate. I don't have to wait!" Of course, it decided not to work so I ended up having to wait anyway. One last thing: Kishan needs to go away. Seriously.

Tiger photo courtesy of MaryEllenCG (http://www.flickr.com/photos/55984616@N00/5947497009/)

"/> ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
Imagine Twilight. Replace vampires with Tigers. Bam! Tiger's Curse. I read the first one for a book club. I decided I should try book #2, but I just have zero tolerance for stupid girls and love triangles, and excessive kissing without bothering to explain why the characters even like eachother. We just have to believe the author when she says they do.
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
If I could give this book less than one star I would. The writing is cringeworthy and I was second hand embarrassed for the author many many times. I also felt like the story was poorly researched and borderline offensive. I will definitely not be reading the other books in this series, even if they were free. ( )
  JillKenna | Jul 9, 2017 |
Decided to DNF, just not getting into it. might be unfair coming off the ending of a series by one of favorite authors, not sure what would measure up.
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |

Colleen Houckprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boras, AnnikaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 143925043X, Paperback)

Product Description

The last thing teenager Kelsey Hayes thought she'd be doing over the summer was meeting Ren, a mysterious white tiger and cursed Indian prince! When she learns she alone can break the Tiger's curse, Kelsey's life is turned upside-down. The unlikely duo journeys halfway around the world to piece together an Indian prophecy, find a way to free the man trapped by a centuries-old spell, and discover the path to their true destiny.

Q&A with Colleen Houck

Q: Who are your favorite writers?

Houck: J.K Rowling (Harry Potter Series), Chris Paolini (Eragon Series), Stephenie Meyer (Twilight Saga), John Steinbeck, Walter Farley, Jules Verne, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Orson Scott Card, and many more!

I was fascinated with Chris Paolini’s story and when I found out he was such a young author and carried around his manuscript for four years before getting it published on his own, I was even more impressed with his grit and determination. The science fiction of Orson Scott Card and Jules Verne carries me away to places I never imagined. When I was young, I wanted to be Laura Ingalls and ride horses like Alec and have great adventures like they did.

Q: Who inspired you to become a published author?

Houck: The personal stories of Stephenie Meyer and J.K. Rowling really touched me. Both women just decided one day to give writing a try and the course of their lives changed. One day I woke up and decided I was going to give it a shot, too. I always loved creative writing in middle school and high school, sci-fi and fantasy being my favorite, and have been an avid reader all my life, but I never considered it as a career. Seeing Rowling and Meyer--two self-trained writers--have the courage to give writing a try inspired me to channel my creative energy into imagining and writing the Tiger’s Curse series.

Q: In what environment do you get your best writing?

Houck: I write at my desk near a window with a great view of Oregon pine and beautiful houses. I always light a candle when I write as a reminder to include the senses of smell, touch, taste, sight, and sound in my writing. It has to be quiet and, until recently, my dog always slept at my feet. That's my comfort zone when writing. I really love writing in the afternoons because that’s when things get quiet. In the mornings I like to write personal correspondence to people who write to me about my books and do the research on the exotic locations I write about. I walk everyday and listen to music that inspires me to keep writing, but I can't listen to music and write at the same time because I get too distracted.

Q: When you’re not writing and reading your own books, what are you reading?

Houck: I’m reading everything YA right now. My favorite books are fantasy with a touch of romance but I love Sci-Fi, children's chapter books, and mainstream fiction as well. I recently finished the Percy Jackson/Lightning Thief series which I loved and currently I’m reading The Life of Pi which I originally purchased because of the tiger on the cover, but I also have shelves full of books waiting for my attention. The next books on my list include Scott Westerfield’s Uglies trilogy, Alyson Noel’s Immortals series, and The Guardians of Gahoole by Kathryn Lasky.

Q: Anything else you want to share with Amazon shoppers?

Houck: Writing my own book was a chance to channel my inner hero. I’m a lot like my character, Kelsey. We both have a special blanket given to us by our grandmothers, we both love chocolate, and we both sat in the back of class. But where Kelsey took a leap into the unknown as a teenager, I took a lot longer to come out of my shell. In writing this series, I’ve been able to leap along with Kelsey.

I also wanted to say how grateful I am to all of the Amazon readers who have left such kind and supportive customer reviews of my books. I originally self-published my first two books through Amazon and the reader comments created enough buzz to attract a film producer and interest from foreign publishers before I even had an agent, which I’ve learned is kind of unheard of! Amazon was really the key to launching the Tiger’s Curse saga and, because of that, I now have a career as a full-time writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:33 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Oregon teenager Kelsey forms a bond with a circus tiger who's actually one of two brothers, Indian princes Ren and Kishan, who were cursed to live as tigers for eternity, and she travels with him to India where the tiger's curse may be broken once and for all.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,657,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible