Bayou moon by Ilona Andrews

Bayou moon (edition 2010)

by Ilona Andrews

Series: The Edge (2)

Member:AFaith
Title:Bayou moon
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:New York : Berkley Publishing Group, 2010.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:to-read, GRimport

Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews

English (60)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
I am loving this world. The Kate Daniels books are getting bumped up my queue. I wish this one had had a bit more sexin' in it but I loved it nonetheless. I get that Kate Daniels is UF and this is PNR but whereas the first one in the series definitely struck me as PNR-ish, this one might have been UF with a bit of romance, if not for the third person narration. ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Bayou Moon is the second book of The Edge by Ilona Andrews. This installment takes a darker turn the first and is highly entertaining. We also get to see a new location in the Edge.

Carise Mar and her family live in the Mire, a large swamp in the Edge between the Kingdom of Louisiana in the Weird and the state of Louisiana in the Broken. They are money poor but land rich. An old feud with the Sheerile family reignites when Carise's parents go missing and the Sheerile brothers are found in her parent's house claiming Cerise's father sold it to them. William, a changeling soldier, has retired to a trailer in the Broken in an effort to escape the politics of the Weird. When several changeling children are found slaughtered in Adrianglia, William is recruited to track down the killer. When William and Cerise's paths cross, sparks fly and they will have to learn to work together if they want to make it through their missions alive.

I was so happy to see William again. He was a neat side character in the first book so it's great he gets his own story. I liked being inside his head and the struggle that goes on to keep the wild side of him under control. Carise is also great as the strong female lead. She's willing to go to great lengths to protect her family. I liked the unique fighting style that Andrews gave her for the use of her flash, very creative and quite powerful in the right situation. Their "Lord Bill" and "Hobo Queen" banter was so much fun to read. I love a book with good character banter! The two of them end up working very well together and I even enjoyed their romance story line for the most part. The rest of the Mar family makes a great supporting cast and there are a lot of them. Cerise's brother (cousin?) Kaldar's magical luck was pretty darn cool and boy would that come in handy in real life! As for the bad guys, they reminded me a bit of comic book villains, each with a particular strength and weakness.

The world building is fantastic! The Mire is one crazy place, a swamp on magical steroids. The descriptions bring everything to life. I felt like I was wading through the muck right along with our heroes, feeling the stifling humidity and avoiding the monsters. I don't think it's a place I'd ever care to visit!

The story has elements that toe the line with horror, especially regarding the bad guys and how they are "enhanced." There are a couple especially violent scenes that surprised me as well. Ilona Andrews doesn't pull any punches in this book.

My only disappointment was with the very end as the story is wrapping up. The last couple chapters and epilogue felt very rushed and were out of sync with the rest of the book. I wish there was another 50 pages or so to finish off that section properly. Also after everything they've gone through and where their characters ended up, that last little bit where Cerise thought William didn't like her any more just didn't fit at all. Otherwise this was quite an enjoyable read. ( )
  Narilka | Jun 16, 2018 |
Bayou Moon
4 Stars

The search is on for an artifact that may prove to be decisive in any war between the two rival factions of the Weird, Adrianglia and Louisiana. William Sandine is recruited by the Mirror (the Adrianglian secret service) to travel to the Mire (the part of the Edge located in the swamps of Louisiana) in order to locate the artifact and kill the leader of the Hand (the Mirror’s Louisianan counterpart). On the way, William joins forces with an Edger, Cerise Mars, whose family has also crossed paths with the deadly agents of the Hand, and the two must work together for the good of all three parallel worlds.

As usual, Andrews’ world building is excellent, the plot is action packed and the characters are engaging. Nevertheless, the romance is quite weak mainly due to the fact that Cerise and William have little to no chemistry.

Cerise wacky family is the highlight of the book. The Mars all live together in a dilapidated manor affectionately known as the Rathole. Each and every member has his or her own unique quirks whether it is Richard the staid and serious or Kaldar the charming thief, Aunt Petunia the mad scientist or Ignata the dedicated healer. Regardless, the love, loyalty and sacrifice that defines the family is tangible and it is impossible not to appreciate both their triumphs and their losses.

The plot is more convoluted than in the first book and it is sometimes difficult to keep track of the different threads, particularly in the beginning when the individual sub-plot are being established. Thankfully, it all comes together by the end and the climax and resolution make for exciting, if gory, reading.

In sum, Bayou Moon is an entertaining addition to the series and the authors are sticking with the Mar family for the next two books so I look forward to visiting with them again. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
4 Moon Stars

Suspense, Intrigue, Adventure, Betrayal, Romance!

I'm a big fan of Ilona Andrews. I love the "Kate Daniels" series, so I set out to check out her other works and I’ve not been disappointed. I loved the relationship between Cerise and William. Cerise, she's strong and determined, and admirable. She holds her family together when disaster happens. I loved William's vulnerability and dedication. He has his difficult and sad childhood. He's a changeling, he's a monster,but when William loves, he loves true and it's forever.

"If you love him, fight for him. Nothing worth keeping is free in this world. If you don't love him, cut him loose. Just don't take too long to decide. Our future might be short.”

As for the story it starts out slow and the plot was vastly complicated then “On the Edge”, but still a great read. Basically, if you liked On the Edge then you will like Bayou Moon.

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
Excellent! Another excellent story by Ilona Andrews, that is. I particularly love the unique worlds she builds and the wonderful characters she fills them with. You won't find anything like the Edge or the Mire anywhere else, and although I missed the group from the first book, I loved William's story. And The author took pity on me before the end with some cameos by characters from the first book, giving me some sneak peeks into what they have been up too. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |

Andrews, Ilonaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gene and Jane Blankenship: You'll never read it, but we wouldn't have made it without you
William sipped some beer from the bottle of Modelo Especial and gave the Green Arrow his hard stare.

When her parents vanish, Cerise Mar becomes trapped in a war between two nations of the Weird and finds an unexpected ally in a changeling soldier who has been forced back into service to track down a rival nation's spymaster.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,548,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible