Tyrell by Coe Booth

Tyrell

by Coe Booth

Series: Tyrell (1)

I thought the writing style was unique and that it was an honest situation with honest characters. But the portrayal of females in the book really got to me and by the end I could barely handle it. I think I might have rated it higher, but I liked it in the beginning and had such issues at the end that it made it seem like I liked it even less. ( )
  leftik | Apr 3, 2013 |
Wow, what a fantastic read! I picked this up at work to give it a go and I was immediately sucked in. You really get the sense of desperation and struggle that Tyrell faces in his narration and how much he’s willing to do to stay out of the “system.” I was hooked from the first few pages and did not want to put it down. I loved the tension and how Tyrell finds another way to support his family financially without resorting to drugs or prostitution. I was expecting the ending to be more tragic, but it fit and gave me a sense of hope for all of the characters. Excellent modern YA! ( )
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |
Luis Torres Jr
ELA
Block D
March 8, 2013

Tyrell

When i started to read Tyrell by Coe Booth it was an 8th grade i was looking for a book so i found Tyrell and started to read it and it was so interesting to me and might be to you to. The main characters about this book Tyrell, his mother, younger brother, his girlfriend, and one friend that is a girl. The plot of this story is Tyrell is homeless and his mother is no help to him and they keep fighting and he is trying to make a party to make enough money to get him and his brother out of the shelter he i in and he is also fighting with his girlfriend. Well the pros of this book is realy realstic it makes you think a lot about how your relationships are going whether it is with family or other people. cons of this book beacuse it is the bomb.
I would recommened this book to anybody who loves to read drama and fighting. In conculsion you should read Tyrell beacuse it is one of the best drama books you can ever rad in your life. I like this book because it makes you think about your life that is why i like this book
  LUIS16 | Mar 11, 2013 |
This is one of the best books I've read personally, because i can relate to Tyrell in some ways with the problems and situations that he has to deal with. Tyrell is forced to play the father role for his little brother and provide for his family.good book. ( )
  ajmarshall | Oct 11, 2012 |
Living in New York with one parent in jail, the other parent who can't take care of you, and a little brother that looks to you as a role model would be tough on anyone. This is a circumstance that no one wants to imagine for themselves, but Booth tells the story as real as if it were happening to you. Tyrell is trying his best to keep his family together in impossible circumstances.
I don't know how I feel about this, but I will not deny that it is very well written. On one hand the character Tyrell has the best intention, but on the other hand he allows himself to act based off of stereotypes ie woman need men to take care of them and should be subordinate to their husband, despite the fact that his mother can't take care of them because of that stereotype. I would recommend this to high school students, especially in rural or upper class areas, to expose them in a realistic fashion to the reality of inner city life. ( )
  sexy_librarian | May 4, 2011 |

An astonishing new voice in teen literature, writing what is sure to be one of the most talked-about debuts of the year.

Tyrell is a young African-American teen who can't get a break. He's living (for now) with his spaced-out mother and little brother in a homeless shelter. His father's in jail. His girlfriend supports him, but he doesn't feel good enough for her -- and seems to be always on the verge of doing the wrong thing around her. There's another girl at the homeless shelter who is also after him, although the desires there are complicated. Tyrell feels he needs to score some money to make things better. Will he end up following in his father's footsteps?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:07 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Tyrell, who is living in a Bronx homeless shelter with his spaced-out mother and his younger brother, tries to avoid temptation so he does not end up in jail like his father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,983,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible