Pearl of China by Anchee Min

Pearl of China

by Anchee Min

English (88)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (90)
Disappointing. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
When I started reading this book, I thought i was reading fiction. I was instead, introduced to Pearl Buck. What an incredible woman and one who carried a nation in her heart. I was fascinated by how the Chinese think and how "Papa" was showing Absalom that Absalom needed to make the pictures of his Jesus Christ look more Chinese and that the Chinese people would never believe in Jesus Christ without having some Chinese parts of other gods. After reading the book, I have since gone and read more information about Pearl and her organization. Sponsoring a child is the next step. Thank you Anchee Min for a book that describes the beauty of your people and land....... ( )
  Leighe1 | Jan 11, 2018 |
I won this book from Fristreads.

I was torn between giving this book 3 stars or 4. I wanted to give it 3 stars because I felt like it didn't quite accomplish it's mission. It was supposed to be a book about Pearl Buck's life in China. I felt like it was a book about Willow Yee, and how knowing Pearl changed her life. Pearl was missing for large parts of the story when we were following Willow through her life, and came into it here and there.

I wanted to give it 4 stars because when I didn't think about what it was supposed to be about, and just read it as a story, it was an enjoyable read. The Chinese history was something I wasn't very familiar with, and I felt like I got a good perspective of the changes happening in China during that time through Willow's eyes.

In the end I decided on 4 stars, because I did enjoy the book while reading it. The direction implied by the title may not have been accurate, but it didn't seem to matter when I forgot about it.
  sochri | Nov 21, 2017 |
This story is not about Pearl Buck. It is the story of two girls from different cultures who became friends -the best of friends. We should all have the opportunity to share our lives with someone special. Willow (and China) was as special and important to Pearl as Pearl was to Willow.

"Joy, gratitude, and a sense of peace are what this moment means to me. I thank God for the fortune of having known you." Written by Willow as she honors Pearl at Pearl's grave in America. Who would be able to say those words about you?

The condensed history of China in the 20th century helped put some names and historical events into a perspective that, when it was happening, I didn't really understand their importance. ( )
  sraelling | Oct 10, 2017 |
Historical novel on the life of author, Pearl Buck. Very interesting. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Aug 28, 2017 |
I belong to China for I have lived there from childhood to adulthood … Happy for me that, for instead of the narrow and conventional life of the white man in Asia, I lived with the Chinese people and spoke their tongue before I spoke my own, and their children were my first friends. –Pearl S. Buck (My Several Worlds)
Behind the calm steadfast eyes of a Chinese woman, I feel a powerful warmth. We might have been friends, she and I, unless she had decided first that I was her enemy. She would have decided, not I. I was never deceived by Chinese woman, not even by the flower-like lovely girls. They are the strongest women in the world. Seeming always to yield, they never yield. Their men are weak beside them. Whence comes this female strength? It is the strength that centuries have given them, the strength of the unwanted. –Pearl S. Buck (Letter from Peking)
For Pearl S. Buck
Before I was Willow, I was Weed.
Beneath her skin, she was Chinese.
They spoke as if I were not in the room, as if I didn’t exist. I could feel the force pulling them closer. It was strong. They were my real-life Romeo and Juliet, the Butterfly Lovers. I sat behind Hsu Chih-mo in the corner of the room by the shadow near the curtains. I held my breath and dared not stir. Moment by moment I saw love take root in their hearts. They blossomed like flowers. It was fate. I was amazed to be both witness to and victim of a great love. I was touched by their birth of feeling but sad beyond description because my heart withered.

{Dustcover flap} In the small southern China town of Chin-kiang, in the last days of the nineteenth century, two youn girls bump heads and become thick as thieves. Willow is the only child of a destitute family. Pearl is the headstrong daughter of zealous Christian missionaries. She will grow up to become Pearl S. Buck, the Nobel Prize-winning writer and activist, but for now she is just a girl emabarrassed by her blonde hair and enchanged by her new Chinese friend.

Moving out into the world together, the two enter the intellectual fray, confide their beliefs and dreams, and experience love and motherhood. But these are times of great tulmult. When a bloody civil war erupts, Pearl is forced to flee the country ahead of angry mobs. Willow remains loyal to her exiled friend, but under Mao's repressive new regime, her "imperialist" ties jeopardizes both her husband's career and her own safety. Worlds apart, the women's lives remain entwined.

Ambitious and deeply moving, Anchee Min's stunning novel Pearl of China celebrates an incredible friendship and brings new color to the life of Pearl S. Buck, a woman whose unwavering love for the country of her youth eventually led her to be hailed as a national heroine in China.

In the small southern town of Chin-kiang, in the last days of the nineteenth century, young Willow and young Pearl S. Buck, the headstrong daughter of zealous Christian missionaries, bump heads and embark on a friendship that will sustain both of them through one of the most tumultuous periods in Chinese history.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Anchee Min's book Pearl of China was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,999,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible