by Graham Masterton

Info:Tor Books (1985), Edition: First Edition, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Abandoned, Fiction, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:2012, abandoned

English (5)  French (1)  All languages (6)
I think this was recommended to me on the basis of my having enjoyed The Picture of Dorian Gray. Well, both stories have an evil painting, true. And maybe the titular Picture of Evil works the same way -- I don't know, because I couldn't get past page 60. This reads as though Masterton reached into a grab-bag of really tired clichés and just pulled them out by the fistful. Two or three would have been fine, but honestly, every single character and every single interaction was 100% predictable. Between the boredom and the gore, I just gave up. ( )
  melonbrawl | Feb 25, 2015 |
NIL
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
As always Graham Masterton delivers for me. I always find his books fast-paced, creepy, sometimes really scary but have never read a bad one yet.

Back Cover Blurb:
From the chateau country of France to the upper-class enclaves of Connecticut come Cordelia and her brother Maurice. Rich, elegant and sophisticated, their sensual beauty is irresistable.
The hunger is hideous. The price is blood-drenched horror. The only hope: destroy the painted canvas from which the Grays gain their unnatural strength. That canvas holds another world of horror for the innocents who stand between the Grays and the Picture of Evil. ( )
  mazda502001 | Feb 13, 2010 |
One of the more fascinating, innovative plots ever - I couldn't put the book down and even now, 20 years later, it still stand in my Top 5 Favorite horror reads. Masterton is a Master of Horror! ( )
  thebookbabe | Jul 26, 2008 |
Masterton here takes the Dorian Gray story, and multiplies it. There exists a whole family of Grays, all doing the portrait trick to accomplish a type of immortality.

They only have a sort of life, and have to massacre people for the pieces of them they need to stay 'fresh' looking.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2007/02/family-portrait-graham-masterton.html ( )
  bluetyson | Feb 23, 2007 |
Family Portrait (UK title), Picture of Evil (US title)

When a mysterious, crumbling painting is implicated in a number of gruesome deaths it seems that the investigating team has resorted to madness. But this rotten painting hides a terrifying family secret.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,232,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible