Bone: Tall Tales by Tom Sniegoski

Bone: Tall Tales

by Tom Sniegoski, Jeff Smith

In this postmodern story book the main character Smiley tells stories around a campfire about what happens in their home town Boneville long ago. This book is a series of tall tails. For example, in one story Smiley tells the Bone cousins about baby Johnson and when he was born he took on Old Man Winter and a giant bear. Johnson beat them all and made it back home to his mom. The bone series looks like it has lots of titles to choose from there is obviously something for everyone giving it a wide rage of cultural appeal. A great curriculum connection to historical tall tails such as Paul Bunyan.
  Adam_sundstrom | Feb 4, 2016 |
Fun and adds a little to the main Bone story. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Sep 2, 2015 |
Though not quite as charming as the epic "Bone", this collection of stories still showcases marvelous art and the sly sense of humor that characterizes its predecessor. The tales revolve primarily around Big Johnson Bone, a Pecos Bill take-off, as he adventures through frontier Boneville and into the Valley. For fans of Bone, there are several characters you may recognize, as well as some cheeky side-stories from the epic itself (including, of course, why the Rat Creatures have no tails).

kittyjay | Jul 11, 2013 |
This is the eleventh book in the series written by Jeff Smith and Tom Sniegoski, and is composed of several tales in one book, instead of just one story line.

The book begins with Smiley Bone and his troop of boy scouts camping in the woods. Smiley unpacks his supplies, sets up a tent, builds a fire, and begins telling tales of the origins of Boneville. The scouts are fascinated by stories of gigantic rat creatures, ferocious dragons, Bone-eating eagles, and more.
The first tale is about Fone Bone and Phoney Bone who go on a treasure hunt. They experience incredible adventures climbing cliffs and fighting off giant eagles that want to eat them for lunch. Another story is about a little baby who gets separated from his mother. The wind carries him to the icy mountains. The baby's grandmother goes searching for him, but before she can find him, the baby meets Old Man Winter, who teases and taunts him.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this graphic novel, and found myself wondering if kids ever get lost while following the story, like I did a few times. The cartoons/ illustrations are absolutely charming, and I realized that I was often going back to the characters to try to "read" their facial expressions to help me along with the plot. To be honest, I think that I have overlooked this genre, but now see the value in incorporating more of these kinds of novels into my reading program with my middle school students. The characters are dynamic, and in this particular book, because of the four different story lines in it, would be great for teaching and reviewing the parts of plot. ( )
  Payama | Mar 5, 2013 |

Tom Sniegoskiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Jeffmain authorall editionsconfirmed
I dedicate this book to the memory of Gran'ma Smith who used to tell me some whoppers. - J.S.
For Jeff and Vijaya... Thanks so much for sharing your toys with me. - T.S.
What do you think, Bartleby?
Bone: Tall Tales is an expanded and colorized version of Stupid, Stupid Rat-Tails. There is significant overlap but they should be kept separate due to the added material.

This book is about the adventures of the founder of boneville.

"Long before the Bone cousins were ever lost in the uncharted forest of the Valley, Big Johnson Bone, the discoverer of the Rolling Bone River, founded Boneville. But little is known of the mighty explorer's adventures before he started his famous trading post. So when Smiley sits down with a group of young scouts to retell the legendary stories of Boneville's origins, what they hear are wild antics complete with Rat Creatures, Dragons, and a snarky little monkey!"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,193,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible