Bone: Tall Tales by Tom Sniegoski

Bone: Tall Tales

by Tom Sniegoski, Jeff Smith

Recently added byMerryann, lupinsnape

Though not quite as charming as the epic "Bone", this collection of stories still showcases marvelous art and the sly sense of humor that characterizes its predecessor. The tales revolve primarily around Big Johnson Bone, a Pecos Bill take-off, as he adventures through frontier Boneville and into the Valley. For fans of Bone, there are several characters you may recognize, as well as some cheeky side-stories from the epic itself (including, of course, why the Rat Creatures have no tails).

kittyjay | Jul 11, 2013 |
This is the eleventh book in the series written by Jeff Smith and Tom Sniegoski, and is composed of several tales in one book, instead of just one story line.

The book begins with Smiley Bone and his troop of boy scouts camping in the woods. Smiley unpacks his supplies, sets up a tent, builds a fire, and begins telling tales of the origins of Boneville. The scouts are fascinated by stories of gigantic rat creatures, ferocious dragons, Bone-eating eagles, and more.
The first tale is about Fone Bone and Phoney Bone who go on a treasure hunt. They experience incredible adventures climbing cliffs and fighting off giant eagles that want to eat them for lunch. Another story is about a little baby who gets separated from his mother. The wind carries him to the icy mountains. The baby's grandmother goes searching for him, but before she can find him, the baby meets Old Man Winter, who teases and taunts him.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this graphic novel, and found myself wondering if kids ever get lost while following the story, like I did a few times. The cartoons/ illustrations are absolutely charming, and I realized that I was often going back to the characters to try to "read" their facial expressions to help me along with the plot. To be honest, I think that I have overlooked this genre, but now see the value in incorporating more of these kinds of novels into my reading program with my middle school students. The characters are dynamic, and in this particular book, because of the four different story lines in it, would be great for teaching and reviewing the parts of plot. ( )
  Payama | Mar 5, 2013 |
This book is funny ( )
  kenneth_12 | Nov 2, 2011 |
This is the prequel book to the Bone series. It was a fun addition to the series. Not as wonderful as the original story, but still fun to read and entertaining.

In this book Smiley Bone tells some younger Bones stories about Big Johnson Bone, the adventurous founder of Boneville. Big Johnson Bone is a bit outrageous and has a lot of crazy tales attributed to his name.

The artwork is consistent with previous Bone books; it's fun and matches the tone of the story well.

The book features little stories about various adventures that Big Johnson was on. We even get to find out how the Rat Creatures lost their tails!

While I enjoyed the sheer outlandishness of some of Big Johnson's tales, I didn't find him to be quite as endearing of a character as our wonderful original Bone trio. Still he was funny and his candidness about his adventures was fun to read about.

Overall this is a fun addition to the Bone series. Just something to tide you over until there is more Bone to read. The tales of Boneville founder Big Johnson Bone are amusing and entertaining. Fans of the series should be pleased with this addition, this book also stands alone well on its own and is appropriate for younger readers as well. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 8, 2011 |
Three of the tall tales in this volume are stories about the fabled Bone pioneer Big Johnson Bone, as written by Tom Sniegoski for the setting invented and illustrated by Jeff Smith. They are framed by Smith's "Smiley and the Bone Scouts" with the introductory tale "The Powers That Be." All of them are comedic, without the epic and tragic events that characterize the original Bone series. If that's what you're after, though, they deliver. My daughter found them hilarious.

Serially, this book falls after the original triple trilogy, but familiarity with those books in completely unnecessary, and there are no significant spoilers present.
2 vote paradoxosalpha | Sep 5, 2011 |

Tom Sniegoskiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Jeffmain authorall editionsconfirmed
I dedicate this book to the memory of Gran'ma Smith who used to tell me some whoppers. - J.S.
For Jeff and Vijaya... Thanks so much for sharing your toys with me. - T.S.
What do you think, Bartleby?

This book is about the adventures of the founder of boneville.

"Long before the Bone cousins were ever lost in the uncharted forest of the Valley, Big Johnson Bone, the discoverer of the Rolling Bone River, founded Boneville. But little is known of the mighty explorer's adventures before he started his famous trading post. So when Smiley sits down with a group of young scouts to retell the legendary stories of Boneville's origins, what they hear are wild antics complete with Rat Creatures, Dragons, and a snarky little monkey!"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,692,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible