Keeper by Kathi Appelt

Keeper

by Kathi Appelt

I definitely recognize the writing style of Kathi Appelt. The characters Dogie, Signe, Keeper, Mr. Beauchamp are the only people who live on Oyster Ridge Road on the banks of the Gulf of Mexico in
Texas. With them is Dogie's Dog Too, BD or Best Dog, Captain an injured seagull who is best friends with BD.Oh yes and Meggie Marie who is gone when the story begins. She is Keeper's mother. Let me know what you think of her.
The story gets pretty harrowing when Keeper goes out in the boat to try and reunite with her mother. I couldn'r read fast enough to find out was was going to happen to Keeper, BD and Captain in that little boat made for a pond not an ocean.
In the style of Appelt, she interjected the supernatural aspect that I don't personally think adds to the story, but it does make it a bit different reading.
Last night found a gumbo recipe online and made it because reading made me want some Blue Moon Gumbo which by the was Paula Deen turned out wonderfully Now I want to go the Gulf of Mexico. I made my gumbo so maybe I'll just go to Texas ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Teya Rosenberg says "pulling together opposites and balancing seeming binaries" is what magical realism is all about. That's definitely true in Keeper. ( )
  CALammert | Mar 31, 2016 |
Great descriptive writing! So many metaphors and similes that create a strong picture in your head. It's all about belonging and what really makes a family. ( )
  saillergirl | Jan 18, 2016 |
Appelt, Kathi. Illustrated by August Hall. Keeper. 2010. 399 pp. $16.99. Atheneum. 978-1-41695-060-8. Ages 9-13.
Keeper’s small world consists of the human and animal inhabitants of the three houses clustered together on a patch of Texas coastline. The residents - Keeper’s caregiver Signe, the troubled former soldier Dogie, and the aging and lovesick Mr. Beauchamp are all looking forward to the blue moon, until Keeper manages to get herself in trouble and disrupt their plans. Blaming herself, Keeper decides to sail away at night to a nearby sandbar, where she can ask her mother Meggie Marie - who Keeper believes is a mermaid. Along the way, tragedy strikes and it will take real magic to reunite Keeper with her family. With chapters told from each character’s perspective - human and animal - it takes longer than usual for the story to take off. However, the skillfully interwoven details and the satisfying conclusion make the story will make the story well-worth the slow start. Mature themes of parental abandonment and a homosexual love affair are sensitively and inoffensively handled. From the New York Times Bestselling author of The Underneath. Recommended. Ages 9-13. ( )
  alovett | Nov 20, 2014 |
I was very much looking forward to reading this book, and it was as wonderful as I had hoped it would be, though not in the way I expected.

I knew it was going to be a story with small events and quiet magic, but at first it looked as if maybe the magic was going to be that grown-up thing that I always hated as a kid: “Oh, the real magic is the beauty of ordinary life, my dear.” Grrr. Yes, okay, ordinary life has magic to it, but sometimes I want more magical magic. And I wanted it for this story, and I feared I wouldn’t get it.

Here’s the thing, though. First, as the author gradually worked in the stories of the people and animals surrounding Keeper (the ten-year-old protagonist), I found myself loving them so powerfully that I wasn’t even going to mind about the lack of magic.

And then, there was real magic, after all—magic, connected with love. Wonderful.

But back to those people and animals. What made me love this story with a powerful love was how it showed people and animals coming together to make a family. With the exception of Keeper, none of the people living on Oyster Ridge Road began there. Signe, who has been a mother to Keeper ever since Keeper’s own mother, a mermaid (so Keeper supposes), swam away, hails from Iowa. Dogie, who was left shaken and stuttering after a tour of duty, but who can sing without a catch, accompanying himself on the ukelele, comes from New Jersey. And old, old Mr. Beauchamp comes from France. But together they and their animals (the dogs BD and Too, the seagull Captain, and the one-eyed cat Sinbad) make a family.

So, when Keeper causes a hullabaloo one day, and treasures are broken and hopes dashed, and she feels she had better slip away at night and row to the sandbar to see if she can find her mermaid mother and get some advice on how to fix things—when all that happens—there are a legion of loving people and creatures who want to see her safely home.

I won’t spoil what happens for you. Let the story unfold and see what you think.
1 vote FrancescaForrest | May 12, 2014 |
"I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each

I do not think they will sing for me."

--T.S. Eliot

"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
For Rose and TA, Merfolk
Keeper leaned over the edge of the boat.

On the night of the blue moon when mermaids are said to gather on a sandbar in the Gulf of Mexico, ten-year-old Keeper sets out in a small boat, with her dog BD and a seagull named Captain, determined to find her mother, a mermaid, as Keeper has always believed, who left long ago to return to the sea.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,259,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible