Here Comes the Garbage Barge! by Jonah…

Here Comes the Garbage Barge!

by Jonah Winter

This book tells the story of a man who is the captain of a garbage bare and his journey around the world. The layout of the book was really great as was all the design work that was put into it. The story itself was kind of lacking, and seemed a little strange to me. The strength of this book was most definitely the artwork. All the pictures were pictures of really creatively done claymation.. I thought this book was not all that great, I wasn't really captivated by the story. If there was anything to bring from this book into the classroom it would be related to the artwork, it was really creative and unique.
  qrennaker | Aug 12, 2014 |
I don't know why, but I love this book. I happened to end up reading it through work, and I think it's an amazing work of children's lit. The artwork is stunning, the story is fun, and the explanation inside the dust jacket on how the artwork was created is just the cherry on the sundae. Of course, I cannot yet comment on how much children like it, as we haven't read it to them yet, but I definitely think it makes for an entertaining and somewhat true read with a great lesson behind it. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Jun 27, 2014 |
A story that is apparently mostly true starts where it begins in Long Island, New York with 3,168 tons of garbage that was supposed to get towed to South Carolina and buried by some farmers. The deal fell through and the barge had to try somewhere else to unload, so the Cap'm tried New Orleans and a handful of different states before going back to New York where finally it was insinerated in Brooklyn.
  gfurth | Jun 12, 2014 |
This book does a good stinkin' job of showing how different styles or art can be used and combined into one great illustration. There's an author's note in the beginning that recounts the actual "garbage barge" and points out the author's changes and why he made changes. I love the style of the book and how the sailor of the barge is referred as "the crusty sailor." This book would be a fun choice to use with clay artwork as well as teaching the importance of recycling and following the rules/laws.
  astares | May 13, 2014 |
The story of Long Island's trash is retold in a humorous manner and would read captivatingly as a read-aloud. The illustrations are shockingly captivating - the scenes made from trash and photographed. This story would lead to a wonderful discussion about recycling and waste management. ( )
  mariekagreene | Jan 26, 2014 |

The art was fantastic, and the book reminded me about Balloons Over Broad Way, the Story of Tony Sarge. I also was in shock about the Garbage Barge and am going to look it up to read about the actual story which is somewhat amazing. We could use this book in how current events shape our times, what we write about. How current events shape ours stories like movies, books, articles, and the like. A lot of times, kids don't pay much attention to it.

This New York Times Best Illustrated Book is a mostly true and completely stinky story that is sure to make you say, “Pee-yew!” Teaching environmental awareness has become a national priority, and this hilarious book (subtly) drives home the message that we can’t produce unlimited trash without consequences.

Before everyone recycled . . .

There was a town that had 3,168 tons of garbage and nowhere to put it.

What did they do?

Enter the Garbage Barge!

Amazing art built out of junk, toys, and found objects by Red Nose Studio makes this the perfect book for Earth Day or any day, and photos on the back side of the jacket show how the art was created.

Here Comes the Garbage Barge was a New York Times Best Illustrated book of 2010, a Huffington Post Best Picture Book of the Year, and a School Library Journal Best Book of the Year. The Washington Post said, “Cautionary? Yes. Hilarious? You betcha!” and the New York Times Book Review raved, “[A] glorious visual treat.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:38 -0400)

In the spring of 1987, the town of Islip, New York, with no place for its 3,168 tons of garbage, loads it on a barge that sets out on a 162-day journey along the East Coast, around the Gulf of Mexico, down to Belize, and back again, in search of a place willing to accept and dispose of its very smelly cargo.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,363,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible