Mirror Mirror: A Book of Reverso Poems by…

Mirror Mirror: A Book of Reverso Poems (2010)

by Marilyn Singer

Other authors: Josée Masse (Illustrator)

Series: Reverse Poetry

This book is a hallmark for all things different. What an extraordinary concept - yet, so simple, it makes me wish I had thought of it first. Using a reversible verse technique lets the readers get another point of view from some great fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty and Little Red Riding Hood. The illustrations are visually stunning, which mirror the robust textual prose. ( )
  NDeBlieux | Apr 26, 2019 |
The book, “Mirror Mirror” by Marilyn Singer is an excellent read for a variety of reasons. This book is written by Singers, personal creation, a reverso poem. A reverse poem is two poems written with the same sentences just flipped for the second verse. The bottom of the first poem becomes the beginning sentence of the second poem. This book is a great read because there are a variety of well-known fairytale stories written from different perspectives. The story about Cinderella first tells about her horrible like stuck in a corner while everyone has fun. Then, in the reverse, it tells about the step sisters view about how Cinderella is more beautiful than they and they are stuck in the corner. Singer pairs with a brilliant artist who creates detailed illustrations. This story is a great read for teachers who want to incorporate poems into their lesson plan. This also has a wonderful sense of character development that can teach young children about perspectives. Lastly, this book has a great lesson to teach children that everything may not always be what it seems! ( )
  Swin1 | Mar 27, 2019 |
This book of illustrated reverse poems on traditional fairy tales was for the most part very enjoyable. Each poem is a quick read that really gets you thinking about the multiple perspectives in the story. One thing I was not quite a fan of was the tonal shift. The first half of the book the poems tell the traditional story and then the reverse gives you a whole new perspective that was typically quite funny to think about. I particularly enjoyed the more modern feel the language have in “The Hood”, a poem about Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf. The problem was that the second half lost that charm, telling two sides that people are generally familiar. One knows the bears’ side and the girl’s side in the story of Goldilocks. This theme repeated itself with the poems going from being whimsical and a fresh take to predictable. All in all I love the concept of reverse poems for children, but I wish the tone had stayed consistent. ( )
  lharri41 | Mar 4, 2019 |
A creative book that features reverso poems--you can read it one way, then flip and read the other way. ( )
  bwheatley | Jan 22, 2019 |
I thought this was such a neat book! I loved seeing the power of punctuation and how reading something backwards can completely change the meaning. I think this something that my future students would really enjoy. ( )
  rabertucci | Nov 30, 2018 |

Marilyn Singerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Masse, JoséeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A collection of short poems which, when reversed, provide new perspectives on the fairy tale characters they feature.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,629,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible