The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

by Douglas Adams

Series: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1-5, story)

In this collection of novels, Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction, and embarks on a series of amazing adventures with his new companion.
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (bluehooloovo, Morteana)
    bluehooloovo: Absurdity in a pure-fantasy world, rather than a soft-sci-fi world.
    And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer (Anonymous user)
    Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Humor in space! They're practically soul-mates, though Starfighters is a Star Wars book, with all that entails. But Aaron Allston really brings the funny, though it's a different kind of funny than most of Adams's.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: Although the plots and writing styles are very distinct, it seemed to me like Douglas Adams and Joseph Heller had a similar sense of humour. I think that those who enjoy the humour in Hitchhiker's Guide will also enjoy the humour of Catch-22.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Neil Gaiman wrote the introduction to this omnibus, and I think that most Adams fans will find a kindred spirit in Gaiman and enjoy his books.

English (144)  Dutch (1)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (149)
Who can't love a book this random and ingenious? I suppose it may be a bit much to recommend the whole series, but there are really funny parts in all of the books. The cricket game is a bit tedious, and if you put Hitchhiker's guide down for too long, you'll probably forget what was happening, but overall, it's quality. ( )
  librarymeanslove | Oct 1, 2020 |
Hitchhiker to the galaxy 7/5/16-7/7/16 5*stars*
review: Never mind your house getting tear down, the earth is going to blow up. A fun and short read. As I read this, I remember scenes from the movie I watch a long time ago. Must of been four or five.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe 4/18/17-5/7/17 4*stars*
review: Not much of a plot. Douglas Adams relies on luck and humor along in his writing, which has little changes of making worth the read. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
Hitchhiker to the galaxy 7/5/16-7/7/16 5*stars*

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe 4/18/17-5/7/17 4*stars*
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
Amazing wit, classic, hilarious. the movie is a primer, little more. ( )
  AmazingBaka | Sep 3, 2020 |
A really enjoyable read. I always thought this book was the Hitchhikers Guide, but in fact that book features in the story. I loved the concept of The Restaurant at the End of The Universe.... ( )
  danielibrary | Aug 26, 2020 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The history of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is now so complicated that every time I tell it I contradict myself, and whenever I do get it right I'm misquoted.
Don't panic.
"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"

"You ask a glass of water."
"Well," said Ford, "if we're lucky it's just the Vogons come to throw us into space."

"And if we're unlucky?"

"If we're unlucky," said Ford grimly, "the captain might be serious in his threat that he's going to read us some of his poetry first."
Resistance is useless! (Vogon soldier shouting)
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
Includes Collected Books 1-5, Plus a bonus story Young Zaphod Plays it Safe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,787,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible