The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the…

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (original 1986; edition 2002)

by Douglas Adams, Neil Gaiman (Introduction)

Title:The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Authors:Douglas Adams
Other authors:Neil Gaiman (Introduction)
Info:Del Rey (2002), Paperback, 832 pages

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams (1986)

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Absurdity in a pure-fantasy world, rather than a soft-sci-fi world.
    And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer (Anonymous user)
    Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Humor in space! They're practically soul-mates, though Starfighters is a Star Wars book, with all that entails. But Aaron Allston really brings the funny, though it's a different kind of funny than most of Adams's.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: Although the plots and writing styles are very distinct, it seemed to me like Douglas Adams and Joseph Heller had a similar sense of humour. I think that those who enjoy the humour in Hitchhiker's Guide will also enjoy the humour of Catch-22.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Neil Gaiman wrote the introduction to this omnibus, and I think that most Adams fans will find a kindred spirit in Gaiman and enjoy his books.

English (124)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (127)
One of the best books ever written! ( )
  onkarhoysala | Jun 29, 2015 |
Could not finish the last book. I must be one of the only people in the universe to not love this series. ( )
  Talbin | May 19, 2015 |
My friends gave me high expectations of this book but it wasn't for me. I enjoyed the beginning (the only part I managed to get through) where it was set in England and the characters were still believable. I enjoy fantasy but this was too fantastic for me. ( )
  Sarah_King | Mar 15, 2015 |
Its a very nice series, but a pain to get back into if you put it away for too long ( )
  nlm2nd | Mar 4, 2015 |
An excellent absurdist science fiction novel. A little heavy on the "oh the whole meaning of existence is meaningless" stuff, but Adams seems to know what he's doing.
  ChrisAemmer | Dec 26, 2014 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The history of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is now so complicated that every time I tell it I contradict myself, and whenever I do get it right I'm misquoted.
Don't panic.
"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"

"You ask a glass of water."
"Well," said Ford, "if we're lucky it's just the Vogons come to throw us into space."

"And if we're unlucky?"

"If we're unlucky," said Ford grimly, "the captain might be serious in his threat that he's going to read us some of his poetry first."
Resistance is useless! (Vogon soldier shouting)
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
Collected Books 1-5, Plus an Additional Short Story

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345453743, Paperback)

It's safe to say that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of the funniest science fiction novels ever written. Adams spoofs many core science fiction tropes: space travel, aliens, interstellar war--stripping away all sense of wonder and repainting them as commonplace, even silly.

This omnibus edition begins with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction. Then in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Arthur and his new friends travel to the end of time and discover the true reason for Earth's existence. In Life, the Universe, and Everything, the gang goes on a mission to save the entire universe. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish recounts how Arthur finds true love and "God's Final Message to His Creation." Finally, Mostly Harmless is the story of Arthur's continuing search for home, in which he instead encounters his estranged daughter, who is on her own quest. There's also a bonus short story, "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe," more of a vignette than a full story, which wraps up this completist's package of the Don't Panic chronicles. As the series progresses, its wackier elements diminish, but the satire of human life and foibles is ever present. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

In this collection of novels, Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction, and embarks on a series of amazing adventures with his new companion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,852,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible