The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the…

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (original 1986; edition 2002)

by Douglas Adams, Neil Gaiman (Introduction)

Title:The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Authors:Douglas Adams
Other authors:Neil Gaiman (Introduction)
Info:Del Rey (2002), Paperback, 832 pages

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams (1986)

Recently added byposykelly, binemi, nsenger, private library, LitaVore, kllantz, noravon, dcunning11235
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (bluehooloovo, Morteana)
    bluehooloovo: Absurdity in a pure-fantasy world, rather than a soft-sci-fi world.
    And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer (Anonymous user)
    Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Humor in space! They're practically soul-mates, though Starfighters is a Star Wars book, with all that entails. But Aaron Allston really brings the funny, though it's a different kind of funny than most of Adams's.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: Although the plots and writing styles are very distinct, it seemed to me like Douglas Adams and Joseph Heller had a similar sense of humour. I think that those who enjoy the humour in Hitchhiker's Guide will also enjoy the humour of Catch-22.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Neil Gaiman wrote the introduction to this omnibus, and I think that most Adams fans will find a kindred spirit in Gaiman and enjoy his books.

English (132)  Dutch (1)  Slovak (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (136)
I have read this one in print, watched the movie and listened to the audiobook. Each of these experiences was wonderful. Great laughs! Wonderful creativity! I'm ready to do it again! ( )
  njcur | Aug 24, 2016 |
Too sophisticated for me - I tried to read it, but couldn't do it.
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 4/27/12 ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
There are four main characters in the book who all find themselves bonded together through coincidence. Arthur Dent is an ordinary earthling who is befriended by an experienced galactic hitchhiker named Ford Prefect.

Everything was going fine until one Thursday, which is when the world ended. Fortunately for Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect had taken a liking to him and, instants prior to the Vogon destruction of the planet, Ford grabbed Arthur and they hitched a ride on the Vogon spaceship.

Meanwhile, Zaphod Beeblebrox, the president of the galaxy who doesn't actually have any power in ruling the universe, was in the process of stealing a special spaceship which is powered by extremely improbable events. He and his girlfriend, Trillian, whom Arthur attempted to pick up at a party but she was instead swept away by Zaphod (who went by "Doug"), picked up Arthur and Ford in an extremely unlikely circumstance as they were left for dead in outer space.

The foursome traveled to a legendary planet that none believed to actually exist and landed to discover that the planet actually encapsulated a Planet-making factory. The factory had been closed since most of the universe lacked the funds to buy custom made planets.

However, since the custom-made planet Earth had been destroyed, the factory was commissioned to being building another Earth. It turns out that Earth is actually a super computer designed by a super computer to churn out the question to the answer of the universe, 42. In fact, it was in another dimension that mice, which are actually extremely intelligent beings, had been pondering these thoughts who created this computer. They were only 5 minutes away from getting their answer when the Vogons destroyed the planet. ( )
  jtp146 | Feb 13, 2016 |
Love it!!!!! ( )
  JDHoliday | Jan 24, 2016 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The history of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is now so complicated that every time I tell it I contradict myself, and whenever I do get it right I'm misquoted.
Don't panic.
"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"

"You ask a glass of water."
"Well," said Ford, "if we're lucky it's just the Vogons come to throw us into space."

"And if we're unlucky?"

"If we're unlucky," said Ford grimly, "the captain might be serious in his threat that he's going to read us some of his poetry first."
Resistance is useless! (Vogon soldier shouting)
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
Collected Books 1-5, Plus an Additional Short Story

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345453743, Paperback)

It's safe to say that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of the funniest science fiction novels ever written. Adams spoofs many core science fiction tropes: space travel, aliens, interstellar war--stripping away all sense of wonder and repainting them as commonplace, even silly.

This omnibus edition begins with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction. Then in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Arthur and his new friends travel to the end of time and discover the true reason for Earth's existence. In Life, the Universe, and Everything, the gang goes on a mission to save the entire universe. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish recounts how Arthur finds true love and "God's Final Message to His Creation." Finally, Mostly Harmless is the story of Arthur's continuing search for home, in which he instead encounters his estranged daughter, who is on her own quest. There's also a bonus short story, "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe," more of a vignette than a full story, which wraps up this completist's package of the Don't Panic chronicles. As the series progresses, its wackier elements diminish, but the satire of human life and foibles is ever present. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

In this collection of novels, Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction, and embarks on a series of amazing adventures with his new companion.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,747,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible