The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the…

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (edition 2002)

by Douglas Adams, Neil Gaiman (Introduction)

Member:kichi67
Title:The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Authors:Douglas Adams
Other authors:Neil Gaiman (Introduction)
Info:Del Rey (2002), Paperback, 832 pages
Tags:UNIVERSE

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Absurdity in a pure-fantasy world, rather than a soft-sci-fi world.
    And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer (Anonymous user)
    Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Humor in space! They're practically soul-mates, though Starfighters is a Star Wars book, with all that entails. But Aaron Allston really brings the funny, though it's a different kind of funny than most of Adams's.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: Although the plots and writing styles are very distinct, it seemed to me like Douglas Adams and Joseph Heller had a similar sense of humour. I think that those who enjoy the humour in Hitchhiker's Guide will also enjoy the humour of Catch-22.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Neil Gaiman wrote the introduction to this omnibus, and I think that most Adams fans will find a kindred spirit in Gaiman and enjoy his books.

English (118)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (121)
Partially read. After two and a half of the five books, I just found the ongoing story to odd for my tastes. ( )
  dpevers | Jul 11, 2014 |
Holy photon, what kind of book is that? Some Random thoughts about this book: Finally, after an infinite number of monkeys worked out the script—the Ultimate Guide for die-hard hoopy froods. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a very unevenly edited book and contains many passages that simply seemed to its editors like a good idea at the time. I like the foreword with the instructions: "How to Leave the Planet". It's the first helpful or intelligible thing that I read all day. The book ended with Arthur Dent still not getting the hang of Thursday. Not to mention, when I got to reading the part about mattress swamp, I had problems just thinking down to this level. Although, this book doesn't give us the question, at least we get an answer. The question is now in S.E.P-field. After putting in some Deep Thought, I don't think I "missed" anything in this book, but we all know that it isn't the fall that kills you, but the sudden stop at the end. But then again, I've seen stranger things free in my breakfast "serial". This book is about excitement, adventure and really wild things. I enjoyed the trilogy in five parts immensely and was sad when it ended—I could not conceive that I could feel more wretched and awful than this. But there is no point in driving yourself mad about this, you might just as well give in and save your sanity for later, or spend the year dead for tax reasons is also an alternative. Fear not, The Guide is definitive. It's Reality that is frequently inaccurate. I've read this book again and again—and have still have it on my rereading list. This review was brought to you by the Infinite Improbability Drive. ( )
  Babelfish_42 | Jul 7, 2014 |
I love this series of books for its caustic wit and silliness. Not only that, but there's plenty of very British things such as tea drinking and the skill of making the perfect sandwich plus some great ideas (such as how it's possible to fly). ( )
  RebeccaClareSmith | Jan 24, 2014 |
Its a very nice series, but a pain to get back into if you put it away for too long ( )
  nlm2nd | Dec 11, 2013 |
In this collection of novels, Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction, and embarks on a series of amazing adventures with his new companion. ( )
  AhalyaLiteraryAngels | Nov 27, 2013 |
The history of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is now so complicated that every time I tell it I contradict myself, and whenever I do get it right I'm misquoted.
Don't panic.
"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"

"You ask a glass of water."
"Well," said Ford, "if we're lucky it's just the Vogons come to throw us into space."

"And if we're unlucky?"

"If we're unlucky," said Ford grimly, "the captain might be serious in his threat that he's going to read us some of his poetry first."
Resistance is useless! (Vogon soldier shouting)
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
Collected Books 1-5, Plus an Additional Short Story

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345453743, Paperback)

It's safe to say that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of the funniest science fiction novels ever written. Adams spoofs many core science fiction tropes: space travel, aliens, interstellar war--stripping away all sense of wonder and repainting them as commonplace, even silly.

This omnibus edition begins with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction. Then in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Arthur and his new friends travel to the end of time and discover the true reason for Earth's existence. In Life, the Universe, and Everything, the gang goes on a mission to save the entire universe. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish recounts how Arthur finds true love and "God's Final Message to His Creation." Finally, Mostly Harmless is the story of Arthur's continuing search for home, in which he instead encounters his estranged daughter, who is on her own quest. There's also a bonus short story, "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe," more of a vignette than a full story, which wraps up this completist's package of the Don't Panic chronicles. As the series progresses, its wackier elements diminish, but the satire of human life and foibles is ever present. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:38 -0400)

5 1994

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,253,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible