The map of true places by Brunonia Barry

The map of true places (edition 2010)

by Brunonia Barry

Member:EmScape
Title:The map of true places
Authors:Brunonia Barry
Info:New York : William Morrow, c2010.
Collections:All the Ebooks, Calibre Import
Tags:Calibre import

The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry

Zee Finch loses her mother at a young age and ends up spending part of her childhood stealing boats— which has earned her the nickname Trouble. She's now a psychotherapist and is about to marry Michael. But the suicide of her patient Lilly throws Zee into emotional chaos and takes her to Salem after Lilly's funeral where her father, Finch, long ago diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, has been hiding how sick he really is. His longtime companion, Melville, has moved out, and it now falls to Zee to help her father.
Zee becomes overwhelmed by her new role as caregiver, and becomes uncertain about her future. She meets Hawks and they set out on a relationship that brings back memories of a story her mother wrote. There are several twists and turns in this story. You feel for Zee struggling to do the right thing for Finch and also for Melville who loves Finch dearly yet has been thrown out of the house by Finch. I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Enjoyed this more than her previous book Lace Reader. Takes places in Salem, MA, so she is a local author for me. Story includes caring for ailing parent, career decisions, marraige choices. Touches on a little bit of everything. Moves along well with likable characters. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
A sometimes difficult book because of the stress the main character feels. I started having dreams about taking care of an elderly parent!

The author mastefully interweaves different characters, times and their stories; I like how she reveals things gradually, like a good mystery. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Consider a family with secrets, throw in good intentions, fateful circumstances, mental & physical illness, and you have the nucleus of this story. That Zee, our heroine, has any mental health (after all she's witnessed & endured by the end of the book) is a miracle. I love the setting of Salem and the symbolism of maps & sextants; how difficult it is to navigate life & "find our way home." I've lived long enough to recognize that life is crazy & rarely turns out the way we expect it to, so the twists & turns of this story don't bother me. I have to admit that I guessed Melville's big secret about 1/2 way through the book. A nice rainy weekend read. ( )
  jamaicanmecrazy | Nov 1, 2015 |
For my parents, June and Jack. I miss you every day. And, as always, for Gary.
In the years when her middle name was Trouble, Zee had a habit of stealing boats.

Zee Finch has come a long way, from a motherless childhood spent stealing boats-a talent that earned her the nickname Trouble. She's now a respected psychotherapist working with world-famous Dr. Liz Mattel. She's also about to marry one of Boston's most eligible bachelors. But the suicide of Zee's patient Lilly Braedon throws Zee into emotional chaos and takes her back to places she thought she's left behind. What starts as a brief visit home to Salem after Lilly's funeral becomes the beginning of a larger journey for Zee. Her father, Finch, long ago diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, has been hiding how sick he really is. His longtime companion, Melville, has moved out, and it now falls to Zee to help her father through this difficult time. Their relationship, marked by half-truths and the untimely death of her mother, is strained and awkward. Overwhelmed by her new role, and uncertain about her future, Zee destroys the existing map of her life and begins a new journey, one that will take her not only into her future but into her past as well. Like the sailors of old Salem who navigated by looking at the stars, Zee has to learn to find her way through uncharted waters to the place she will ultimately call home. (from book)

Zee Finch, a psychotherapist, has come home to Salem to take care of her ailing father and to try to figure out her own life after the suicide of one of her patients, which was made even more difficult by Zee's past--her mother committed suicide herself, in front of her.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,101,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible