The map of true places by Brunonia Barry

The map of true places (edition 2010)

by Brunonia Barry

6197815,730 (3.73)61
Member:EmScape
Title:The map of true places
Authors:Brunonia Barry
Info:New York : William Morrow, c2010.
Collections:All the Ebooks, Calibre Import
Tags:Calibre import

The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry

This is the first time that I have read a book by Brunonia Barry. The Map of True Places started off with a great setting, the fascinating historic city of Salem. Also the author had the story of a father with Parkinson's disease that was turning into dementia. Both of those diseases were well researched and represented very carefully. Zee Finch, the daughter in this story, has a background of having a mother who had bipolar disorder and had committed suicide when Zee was young. The mother was wrapped up in a fantasy world that she tried to write in a book. Her mother was very out of touch with reality.

Zee had stopped stealing boats and was working under a respected psychotherapist. OK that was a big jump! Zee took to stealing boats and leaving them in places not where they were originally. Is this a call for help, a call for an active parent to console and comfort her because she did not really have a mother, even when she was living?

She was also engaged to be married. But one of the Zee's patients commits suicide and she also finds out that her father's mental health has deteriorated very much. Zee's world became too much for her. She lost her bearings. She returned to Salem to see her father but also begins to remember what her mother was like and she uncovers many family secrets. Some I liked reading about her father's lover, also how difficult it is to be a caretaker for someone with severe problems. But the element of fantasy and various other strings of the story started to confuse me at the end. So I loved most of the book but not all of it. I think the author attempted a little bit too much in one book but the main parts of the story still keep your interest. ( )
  Carolee888 | Mar 9, 2017 |
I'm a sucker for novels featuring locales I am familiar with so this book already had an edge. Also, I have enjoyed other books by Brunonia Barry. I enjoyed the story line and the way it was presented. Some of it did get a little tedious; however, the characters are likable and have some depth to them. Enjoyed the unexpected twists at the end. ( )
  bogopea | Feb 22, 2017 |
Zee Finch loses her mother at a young age and ends up spending part of her childhood stealing boats— which has earned her the nickname Trouble. She's now a psychotherapist and is about to marry Michael. But the suicide of her patient Lilly throws Zee into emotional chaos and takes her to Salem after Lilly's funeral where her father, Finch, long ago diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, has been hiding how sick he really is. His longtime companion, Melville, has moved out, and it now falls to Zee to help her father.
Zee becomes overwhelmed by her new role as caregiver, and becomes uncertain about her future. She meets Hawks and they set out on a relationship that brings back memories of a story her mother wrote. There are several twists and turns in this story. You feel for Zee struggling to do the right thing for Finch and also for Melville who loves Finch dearly yet has been thrown out of the house by Finch. I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Enjoyed this more than her previous book Lace Reader. Takes places in Salem, MA, so she is a local author for me. Story includes caring for ailing parent, career decisions, marraige choices. Touches on a little bit of everything. Moves along well with likable characters. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
For my parents, June and Jack. I miss you every day. And, as always, for Gary.
In the years when her middle name was Trouble, Zee had a habit of stealing boats.

Zee Finch has come a long way, from a motherless childhood spent stealing boats-a talent that earned her the nickname Trouble. She's now a respected psychotherapist working with world-famous Dr. Liz Mattel. She's also about to marry one of Boston's most eligible bachelors. But the suicide of Zee's patient Lilly Braedon throws Zee into emotional chaos and takes her back to places she thought she's left behind. What starts as a brief visit home to Salem after Lilly's funeral becomes the beginning of a larger journey for Zee. Her father, Finch, long ago diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, has been hiding how sick he really is. His longtime companion, Melville, has moved out, and it now falls to Zee to help her father through this difficult time. Their relationship, marked by half-truths and the untimely death of her mother, is strained and awkward. Overwhelmed by her new role, and uncertain about her future, Zee destroys the existing map of her life and begins a new journey, one that will take her not only into her future but into her past as well. Like the sailors of old Salem who navigated by looking at the stars, Zee has to learn to find her way through uncharted waters to the place she will ultimately call home. (from book)

Zee Finch, a psychotherapist, has come home to Salem to take care of her ailing father and to try to figure out her own life after the suicide of one of her patients, which was made even more difficult by Zee's past--her mother committed suicide herself, in front of her.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,892,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible