The map of true places by Brunonia Barry

The map of true places (edition 2010)

by Brunonia Barry

Member:EmScape
Title:The map of true places
Authors:Brunonia Barry
Info:New York : William Morrow, c2010.
Collections:All the Ebooks, Calibre Import
Tags:Calibre import

The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry

I so much wanted to love this book, since her first novel, The Lace Reader, was one of my favorite novels. It's set in Salem, MA, so I saved it for our family vacation to Cape Cod. The book had an interesting plot, but I found the characters a bit flat. Good plot, though and still a fun 'beach read'. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
read lace reader first
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
When one of Zee Finch's patients commits suicide she begins to question her entire life. So what does she do? Goes to the funeral of the patient and then goes to see her father. Her father is ailing with Parkinsons and is in much worse shape than she realized. When she asks where his partner is she is told gone. So Zee stays in Salem to help her dad and begins to unravel what is wrong in her life. The idea of the book appealed to me. I liked the description on the book jacket. All the talk of her mother's suicide and how she blurred the line with her patient were interesting. Then there were the parts that just got on my nerves. Zee being indecisive annoyed me. Her not knowing what she wanted and then rebelling by never deciding annoyed me. I liked seeing some of the characters from The Lace Reader. I thought some of the chapters with the other characters didn't really matter and wondered why they were even in the book. Overall, I liked the book. I was going to give it 4 stars, but the longer I sit and think about it the less I find that I really enjoyed. I will read another book by the author, but I hope that her next female lead will be someone I actually like. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Mar 29, 2013 |
I had difficulty coming up with a rating for this book. I thought the writing style was quite good, and really enjoyed the descriptions of Salem. I liked the historical/literary references to Hawthorne, Melville, the House of 7 Gables, etc. I thought many of the transitions were awkward, and I don't think she could decide what to think about reincarnation, coincidence, fate, etc. I would recommend it, with reservations, and I plan to read "The Lace Reader", her earlier book. ( )
  PermaSwooned | Sep 2, 2012 |
On the whole I enjoyed this story. I never felt fully immersed in it, the way I sometimes do with a book, but it was sufficiently interesting to keep my attention. I liked the coastal Massachusetts setting (I'd never actually realised that Salem was on the coast, for some reason...) and the interweaving of nautical navigational facts. Wasn't so keen on the insistence that human beings can't get through life without hours of therapy, though. Zee seemed to treat her own therapy sessions as though they were a regular, essential thing: like a car service or a dental check-up. And yet one of the messages of the book was that therapy doesn't always work and, indeed, the main character manages to work out her problems without the help of therapy in the end. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 7, 2012 |
For my parents, June and Jack. I miss you every day. And, as always, for Gary.
In the years when her middle name was Trouble, Zee had a habit of stealing boats.

Zee Finch has come a long way, from a motherless childhood spent stealing boats-a talent that earned her the nickname Trouble. She's now a respected psychotherapist working with world-famous Dr. Liz Mattel. She's also about to marry one of Boston's most eligible bachelors. But the suicide of Zee's patient Lilly Braedon throws Zee into emotional chaos and takes her back to places she thought she's left behind. What starts as a brief visit home to Salem after Lilly's funeral becomes the beginning of a larger journey for Zee. Her father, Finch, long ago diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, has been hiding how sick he really is. His longtime companion, Melville, has moved out, and it now falls to Zee to help her father through this difficult time. Their relationship, marked by half-truths and the untimely death of her mother, is strained and awkward. Overwhelmed by her new role, and uncertain about her future, Zee destroys the existing map of her life and begins a new journey, one that will take her not only into her future but into her past as well. Like the sailors of old Salem who navigated by looking at the stars, Zee has to learn to find her way through uncharted waters to the place she will ultimately call home. (from book)

Zee Finch, a psychotherapist, has come home to Salem to take care of her ailing father and to try to figure out her own life after the suicide of one of her patients, which was made even more difficult by Zee's past--her mother committed suicide herself, in front of her.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,249,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible