The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry

The Map of True Places (edition 2010)

by Brunonia Barry

Member:illinoisreader
Title:The Map of True Places
Authors:Brunonia Barry
Info:Harper (2010), Paperback
Tags:Well written; a woman psychiatrist returns to Salem to take care of her failing father and finds out much about herself and her mother who committed suicide.

The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry

Zee Finch goes from stealing boats as an adolescent to being a respected psychotherapist as an adult. After the death of a patient she decides to return home to Salem. Although she makes this move to try and deal with things in her life, it only seems to make matters worse as her fiancée calls off the engagement just as she is discovering that her father, ailing with Parkinson’s disease is more ill than she anticipated.

This book had many similarities to THE LACE READER, Barry’s previous book, but I found I enjoyed this one more. It was focused on relationships, caring and healing and that loved ones are often a more important part of our lives than we admit.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Zee had a complicated childhood. Her manic/depressive mother committed suicide in front of her. Her father spent most of his time drinking before her mother's death. Afterwards he moved his boyfriend into the house. Though resentful of this betrayal of her mother, Zee was much closer with Melville than her father. In the end, she came to accept the relationship.

After pursuing a career as a psychiatrist, she becomes too involved with one of her patients. Lilly reminds Zee of her mother. After Lilly suddenly commits suicide, Zee returns home to care for her ailing father and reassess her life goals. As she deals with her father's oncoming dementia and her own crumbling engagement, Zee is forced to face up to some realities about her own life. ( )
  Juva | Jun 1, 2015 |
From my blog

I wanted something different to read, that wasn't y usual mystery genre, and I was able to pick a great one. This has been on my to read list for over 3 years. I highly recommend this one for book clubs, so much to discuss.

Zee is a psychiatrist that lost her mom to suicide and now has crossed the lines with a client that reminds her of her moms death. Unfortunately the suicide has impacted her and she takes time off to spend with her father. Her father had Parkinson's but she didn't realize how far the disease had progressed and now she wants to be his caregiver also. Is Zee helping or is she running away from life?

"It's not down on any map; true places never are."
-- Herman Melville

This was a great quote from the book. Finding the place that you need to be and should be at the perfect moment. Realising you are living life for others instead of yourself. I enjoyed this thought that was in the background of the story. It also made you think if daughters try to relive our mothers lives.

Each section in the book started with a quote or motivation around the stars, celestial navigation, which became a beautiful part of the story, you enjoyed the journey of understanding the stars.

There was lots going on in The Map of True Places but a beautiful transition from one part of Zee's life to another, it captures you and makes you just want to continue reading.

When Zee gets to her dad, she realizes he has broken up with his life partner but she remains close as they have been an important part of her life growing up. Both her and her dad have ended relationships, another life change.

The bonus for me is there was a mystery element for Zee, I was shocked by it but loved how it really showed you, you never know who you will love. What a beautiful story of life, the sadness and beautiful parts of life and how all things connect, making you realize the world is smaller then we think. ( )
  marcejewels | May 2, 2015 |
I cannot form an opinion on the story at all, it hit way too close to home with Fitch's Parkinson's struggle. Everything else faded to background for me.
1 vote loosha | Feb 4, 2015 |
This book was truly phenomenal and a real page-turner. The twists and turns that occurred left me muttering only one word as I closed the book after the last page: "wow." I would definitely say I recommend this book to others and I cannot wait to read The Lace Reader, also by Brunonia Barry. I hope that it is even half as good as the Map of True Places. ( )
  tielwingsmama | Sep 29, 2014 |
For my parents, June and Jack. I miss you every day. And, as always, for Gary.
In the years when her middle name was Trouble, Zee had a habit of stealing boats.

Zee Finch has come a long way, from a motherless childhood spent stealing boats-a talent that earned her the nickname Trouble. She's now a respected psychotherapist working with world-famous Dr. Liz Mattel. She's also about to marry one of Boston's most eligible bachelors. But the suicide of Zee's patient Lilly Braedon throws Zee into emotional chaos and takes her back to places she thought she's left behind. What starts as a brief visit home to Salem after Lilly's funeral becomes the beginning of a larger journey for Zee. Her father, Finch, long ago diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, has been hiding how sick he really is. His longtime companion, Melville, has moved out, and it now falls to Zee to help her father through this difficult time. Their relationship, marked by half-truths and the untimely death of her mother, is strained and awkward. Overwhelmed by her new role, and uncertain about her future, Zee destroys the existing map of her life and begins a new journey, one that will take her not only into her future but into her past as well. Like the sailors of old Salem who navigated by looking at the stars, Zee has to learn to find her way through uncharted waters to the place she will ultimately call home. (from book)

Zee Finch, a psychotherapist, has come home to Salem to take care of her ailing father and to try to figure out her own life after the suicide of one of her patients, which was made even more difficult by Zee's past--her mother committed suicide herself, in front of her.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,480,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible