A Bargain for Frances by Russell Hoban

A Bargain for Frances (1970)

by Russell Hoban

Other authors: Lillian Hoban (Illustrator)

Series: Frances (6), I Can Read Books (Level 2)

I like this book for multiple reasons. First, I think the message of this story is wonderful. Frances, a badger, and her friend Thelma they trick each other about a tea set. They see that they have tricked one another and have come to the agreement that it is better to be friends than to have to be careful around one another. I like this message because it is very relatable to readers. Although the main characters are personified animals, I think their actions and conflict is one that any reader of any age can relate to because we all deal with conflicts throughout our lives.
Next I like the language use in the story. Most of the story is dialogue, which really brings the story to life. For example, when Thelma and Frances are confronting each other about tricking one another, I think it more effective to use actual dialogue, rather than stating that they confronted one another by talking. It puts reader in the perspective of the characters. Additionally, the author used rhyming poems/songs when Frances was talking to herself. I think using a rhyming tune is a very cute and interesting way to portray what Frances is thinking about her situation.
Overall I think this book has a wonderful message that is conveyed in a creative, fantasized way through animals. ( )
  sarahwarner329 | Nov 10, 2014 |
This book is great for children. It has a great moral lesson. Frances and Thelma are friends and when they both trick each other, they realize that being friends and fair and honest is best. It also has some math in it that could be worked into a lesson. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Sep 21, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 20, 2014 |
This story is a wonderful story about friendship. Even when you step on each others toes, and trick one another, true friends are always friends. It is a cute book with a great moral story. It keeps you entertained throughout the book and you hope everything works out for all the characters. ( )
  CMJohnson | Feb 26, 2014 |
Genre: Fantasy/Realistic Fiction
Review: The author stays true to the genre of fantasy by creating a story that could not happen. This stroy follows Frances, a badger, as she struggles to be friends with another badger, Thelma. Frances must figure out who to make things work between them. This story also holds a little bit of realistic fiction because of the scenario that the badgers are dealing with. Every child, teen, adult at some point in their life has to deal with conflict and friendship.
Media: Watercolor ( )
  adaniel11 | Mar 14, 2012 |

Russell Hobanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoban, LillianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Phoebe, Brom, Esmé, and Julia
It was a fine summer day, and after breakfast Frances said, "I am going to play with Thelma."
Do you want to be careful, or do you want to be friends?

Taking advantage/
of friends is not very nice/
Trust is important (waitingtoderail)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006444001X, Paperback)

Frances and Thelma are friends -- most of the time

Thelma always seems to get Frances into trouble. When she tricks Frances into buying her tea set, it's the last straw. Can Frances show her that it's better to lose a bargain than lose a friend?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:33 -0400)

Thelma usually outsmarts Frances until Frances decides to teach her a lesson about friendship.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,497,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible