A Bargain for Frances (I Can Read Level 2)…

A Bargain for Frances (I Can Read Level 2) (original 1970; edition 2003)

by Russell Hoban (Author), Lillian Hoban (Illustrator)

Member:storytimestandouts
Title:A Bargain for Frances (I Can Read Level 2)
Authors:Russell Hoban (Author)
Other authors:Lillian Hoban (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2003), Edition: Revised, 64 pages
Tags:children's book, friendship, personification, Frances

A Bargain for Frances by Russell Hoban (1970)

Frances has been saving for a beautiful China tea set. Her "friend" Thelma tricks her into buying her old plastic tea set with all of her savings by saying that it is sturdier and better. Then Thelma goes and buys the China tea set herself. Thelma has a history of taking advantage of Frances and so Frances concocts a plan to get Thelma to trade her tea sets by saying that she left something in the old tea set.

Really cute story that really stands the test of time, it was originally published in 1970. My mom named me Frances after my grandmother and Frances the badger because she always thought it would be cool to have a story character that had your same name. Some people might see this as mean spirited or petty but I think it is a good lesson for children to learn that sometimes your friends take advantage of you.
  fchloe1 | Mar 16, 2017 |
A Bargain for Frances is a classic beginning reader book. There are some pages with longer text, but the pictures complement the story well. This book teaches a good lesson about lying to your friends. Although Thelma proves herself to be a trickster, Frances devises a clever plan to get her tea set back. Frances isn't just getting revenge on her friend; she is trying to teach Thelma a lesson. In the end, it is Frances that helps Thelma see that being friends is better than being careful or sneaky.
  carleyaflores | Sep 29, 2016 |
This is about Frances.She is going to her friend Thelma's house.They are having a tea party.Frances is bringing her dolls.When she gets to Thelma's house.She notices that Thelma has a plastic tea set.Frances doesn't like that kind of tea set.She likes the ones with pictures all in blue that are china.Read the book to find out the rest.I really liked this book.This book is one of my favorite picture books. ( )
  SaraA1 | Nov 10, 2015 |
I like this book for multiple reasons. First, I think the message of this story is wonderful. Frances, a badger, and her friend Thelma they trick each other about a tea set. They see that they have tricked one another and have come to the agreement that it is better to be friends than to have to be careful around one another. I like this message because it is very relatable to readers. Although the main characters are personified animals, I think their actions and conflict is one that any reader of any age can relate to because we all deal with conflicts throughout our lives.
Next I like the language use in the story. Most of the story is dialogue, which really brings the story to life. For example, when Thelma and Frances are confronting each other about tricking one another, I think it more effective to use actual dialogue, rather than stating that they confronted one another by talking. It puts reader in the perspective of the characters. Additionally, the author used rhyming poems/songs when Frances was talking to herself. I think using a rhyming tune is a very cute and interesting way to portray what Frances is thinking about her situation.
Overall I think this book has a wonderful message that is conveyed in a creative, fantasized way through animals. ( )
  sarahwarner329 | Nov 10, 2014 |
This book is great for children. It has a great moral lesson. Frances and Thelma are friends and when they both trick each other, they realize that being friends and fair and honest is best. It also has some math in it that could be worked into a lesson. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Sep 21, 2014 |

Russell Hobanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hoban, LillianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Phoebe, Brom, Esmé, and Julia
It was a fine summer day, and after breakfast Frances said, "I am going to play with Thelma."
Do you want to be careful, or do you want to be friends?

Taking advantage/
of friends is not very nice/
Trust is important (waitingtoderail)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006444001X, Paperback)

Frances and Thelma are friends -- most of the time

Thelma always seems to get Frances into trouble. When she tricks Frances into buying her tea set, it's the last straw. Can Frances show her that it's better to lose a bargain than lose a friend?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:08 -0400)

Thelma usually outsmarts Frances until Frances decides to teach her a lesson about friendship.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,727,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible