A Body to Die For by Kate White

A Body to Die For (2003)

by Kate White

I adore White's nonfiction, as she has a delightful way of writing. No one else can match her snappy, unique style. I found the book's plot a little too simplistic for my tastes, but would recommend it to those looking for some light beach reading. ( )
  astasin | Sep 9, 2014 |
Really liked this book. Want to read another of her books to see if I am sure about liking her books. As the previous editor of Cosmo mag though, she has to be a pretty good writer since this one was good, right? Try her non fic books out as well! ( )
  diananagy | May 20, 2014 |
A Nancy Drew-esque murder mystery for those who have outgrown Nancy Drew. The character even admits she's been playing 'Nancy Drew.' Nothing to amazing or shocking, but not sensationalist or over the top, either. Enjoyable.
And Kate Walsh is a great reader/voice-over person. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Apr 7, 2013 |
I was a little torn between giving this 2 or 3 stars, but ultimately there was just a little too much "chick" in this chick-lit. It was a fairly solid mystery, but there was too much talk about how "hunky" the detective was. (Yes, I believe that was the exact word. I've already turned my copy back into the library though, so I wouldn't swear to it.) I think the last time I used the word "hunky" I was in middle school. If that's what you're looking for, this book is for you. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446613851, Mass Market Paperback)

One of the savviest single urbanites ever to take up sleuthing and still look great, Bailey Weggins made her smashing debut in Kate White's If Looks Could Kill, a dishy and delectable New York Times bestseller and the first "Reading with Ripa" Book Club selection. Now the Gloss magazine true crime writer returns in a story of high style and low murder that goes behind the salons and saunas of a ritzy country spa to uncover... A Body to Die For

After her last adventure, Bailey Weggins is one tired reporter in need of R & R. So when an old family friend invites her for a free weekend at the Cedar Inn in rural Massachusetts, she jumps at the chance to leave Manhattan for some major pampering.

At the elegant mid-nineteenth-century hideaway, with its Asian-inspired spa, Bailey is soon luxuriating to the hypnotic sound of water spilling over stones and the soothing scent of green-tea candles. Yet mayhem is mere steps away, as Bailey discovers when she literally stumbles across a corpse wrapped mummy-style in a treatment room. Suddenly, her time-out is transformed into a full-tilt murder investigation. Bailey hadn't expected to meet anyone other than socialites slathering their cellulite with shea butter, but now she's dealing with a list of suspects dirtier than a mud bath: a spurned lover, a shady husband, and a group of employees who seem to be hiding something. And against her better judgement, she can't seem to keep her own hands off the sexy homicide detective assigned to the case.

Desparate to help her mother's friend, the owner of the spa, Bailey will find herself chasing clues across state lines just as another death sweeps her into the sights of a vicious killer. And this time, the body in the mud wrap could be her own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:20 -0400)

"Suddenly, her time-out is transformed into a full-tilt murder investigation. Bailey hadn't expected to meet anyone other than socialites slathering their cellulite with shea butter, but now she's dealing with a list of suspects dirtier than a mud bath: a spurned lover, a shady husband, and a group of employees who seem to be hiding something. And against her better judgment, she can't seem to keep her own hands off the sexy homicide detective assigned to the case." "Desperate to help her mother's friend, the owner of the spa, Bailey will find herself chasing clues across state lines just as another death sweeps her into the sights of a vicious killer. And this time, the body in the mud wrap could be her own."--BOOK JACKET. "After her last adventure, Bailey Weggins is one tired reporter in need of R & R. So when an old family friend invites her for a few weekend at the Cedar Inn in rural Massachusetts, she jumps at the chance to leave Manhattan for some major pampering." "At the elegant mid-nineteenth-century hideaway, with its Asian-inspired spa, Bailey is soon luxuriating to the hypnotic sound of water spilling over stones and the soothing scent of green-tea candles. Yet mayhem is mere steps away, as Bailey discovers when she literally stumbles across a corpse wrapped mummy-style in a treatment room.".… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,736,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible