A Color of His Own by Leo Lionni

A Color of His Own (1975)

by Leo Lionni

About a chameleon trying to fit in. He didn't want to always change with the colors. In the end he found another chameleon to share his story with and they stuck together changing with each other. ( )
  traceeo | Feb 10, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book because it has such a positive message about friendship that could be applied to a variety of lessons. I also liked this book because I felt the illustrations in it were a key part to telling the story, rather than an extra. When the author is talking about the chameleon living on a leaf he uses two pictures side by side to show the green changing to yellow-orange described in the writing. These illustrations are a great addition to the text, especially for ELL students who need visual supports during a lesson, like during a read-along. The language in the book is also very clear for students to understand. In the future this book can be read independently or with a peer. For example, the line “the chameleon was black in the long winter night”, depicts that the reader is looking at a dark picture supported by the clear writing. Differently, when the chameleon says “We will still change color wherever we go, but you and I will always be alike”, he is referring to the message of the book. The big idea of this story is that your true identity can come from friendship, not just individuality. ( )
  Rvealey | Feb 7, 2016 |
Everyone has a color of their own, chameleons have the ability to change, so what color will the chameleon choose to be his own. very cute for younger kids. ( )
  KassRuiz | Dec 3, 2015 |
30 months - picked this up at the thrift store. It is a bit young for O but she seems to enjoy it anyway. This would be a good book for signing with baby. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This book is about a chameleon who cannot find his place. He sees that everything has its own color, but he is constantly changing. He feels very lonely and isolated because he doesn't know his own identity. He tries to sit on a leaf for a while, but it changes colors and so does he. The chameleon is very lonely until he finds an older and wiser chameleon just like himself. When he finds a friend, his friend helps him to realize that friendship and companionship are more important than looking a certain way, and the two chameleons stick together forever. ( )
  carolinebartlett | Oct 8, 2015 |

Is contained in

To Vera Barbara
Parrots are green

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375836977, Hardcover)

Every animal has a color of its own. "Parrots are green, elephants are gray, pigs are pink." But chameleons change color wherever they go. "On lemons they are yellow. In the heather they are purple." One chameleon is not pleased with his changeable appearance. He thinks, "If I remain on a leaf, I shall be green forever, and so I too will have a color of my own." Of course, what he doesn't take into account is the changes wrought by autumn, and soon the green chameleon is yellow, then red, and then tumbled to the ground for the long black winter night. It isn't until he befriends another older, wiser chameleon that our hero begins to find inner peace, even as his outer surface is transformed again and again.

Leo Lionni, children's book creator extraordinaire, author of such beloved picture books as Frederick, Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse, Swimmy, and Inch by Inch, all Caldecott Honor winners, introduces color concepts in an exquisite and touching story. This small board book edition of the classic tale of self-acceptance and friendship will be a favorite for toddlers and parents alike. (Baby to preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

A little chameleon is distressed that he doesn't have his own color like other animals.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,192,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible