A Color of His Own by Leo Lionni

A Color of His Own (1975)

by Leo Lionni

This book provides the reader with a strong point that we are all different and it is OKAY. :) A great way to help kids see that individuality is for everyone. ( )
  Erin_Holte | Apr 26, 2016 |
Leo Lionni writes about a chameleon who is frustrated about not having his own color like every other animal. The chameleon even tries to stay on a leaf in order to remain the same color, but when the seasons change, so do the colors of the leaf and so does the chameleon. The chameleon is so discouraged until he runs into another chameleon. They decide to stick together so that they will always be the same color. They are both delighted to share that similarity. Lionni’s illustrations are very colorful and fun throughout the book, which I think children would enjoy. I enjoyed the book myself, and would definitely consider including it in my library. ( )
  cedoyle | Apr 25, 2016 |
I really liked reading the book, "A Color of His Own." The first reason I enjoyed reading this story was because of the illustrations. On every page, it showed how the chameleons changed colors to match the object that it was sitting on. This helped show how chameleons don't have just one color, but many because they are constantly changing. Another thing I liked about this story was because of the plot. The chameleon was upset throughout the story, but it ended happily when he found a chameleon he was going to stick with so that they could be the same color. I like this ending because it showed how chameleons aren't alone just because they do not have a color of their own. The main idea of this story was that in life you are never alone. Throughout the whole story, the little chameleon thought he would be alone forever and never have his own color. Until he met another chameleon who decided they would turn the same colors forever. ( )
  oliviaceresi | Apr 20, 2016 |
I love the way that this book is teaching that it is okay for students to be different from each other. At the end of the story, the chameleon finds a friend who is different just like he is. By living to the beat of your own drum, you are able to find yourself while finding friends who fit your niche. This book heavily incorporates colors throughout. Since the book is water color, some of the colors are slight variations of what one might call a primary color making the book hard to use from an academic stand point, but still a great recreational read. ( )
  thd53 | Apr 12, 2016 |
I picked this book because it was part of our book share in class. For this book, I would have kids write what they thought the author was trying to say with this story. ( )
  ksd011 | Mar 16, 2016 |

Is contained in

To Vera Barbara
Parrots are green

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375836977, Hardcover)

Every animal has a color of its own. "Parrots are green, elephants are gray, pigs are pink." But chameleons change color wherever they go. "On lemons they are yellow. In the heather they are purple." One chameleon is not pleased with his changeable appearance. He thinks, "If I remain on a leaf, I shall be green forever, and so I too will have a color of my own." Of course, what he doesn't take into account is the changes wrought by autumn, and soon the green chameleon is yellow, then red, and then tumbled to the ground for the long black winter night. It isn't until he befriends another older, wiser chameleon that our hero begins to find inner peace, even as his outer surface is transformed again and again.

Leo Lionni, children's book creator extraordinaire, author of such beloved picture books as Frederick, Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse, Swimmy, and Inch by Inch, all Caldecott Honor winners, introduces color concepts in an exquisite and touching story. This small board book edition of the classic tale of self-acceptance and friendship will be a favorite for toddlers and parents alike. (Baby to preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

A little chameleon is distressed that he doesn't have his own color like other animals.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,786,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible