dismiss

A Finer End

by Deborah Crombie

Series: Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James (7)

Jack Montfort grew up in the shadow of Glastonbury Tor in a town revered as the mythical burial place of King Arthur, and, according to New Age followers, a source of strong druid power. Montfort has little more than a passing interest in the history of the area - until he comes across an extraordinary chronicle almost a thousand years old . . . When a member of Jack's circle is attacked and left for dead, he appeals to his cousin, Superintendent Duncan Kincaid, for help. For something terrible and bloody shattered Glastonbury Abbey's peace long ago - and now it is about to spark a violence that will reach forward into the present . . .… (more)

English (21)  French (1)  All languages (22)
Jack Montfort, ein Architekt aus Glastonbury, glaubt nicht an Übersinnliches. Umso überraschter ist er, als er eines Tages in einer fremden Handschrift geheimnisvolle Botschaften niederzuschreiben beginnt. Jack vertraut sich seiner Freundin Winnie an. Um die beiden bildet sich allmählich ein Kreis von Interessierten, die versuchen, die Botschaften zu entschlüsseln. Als ein Mordversuch auf Winnie verübt wird, bittet Jack seinen Cousin Superintendent Duncan Kincaid um Hilfe. Kurz nachdem Kincaid und Sergeant Gemma James in Glastonbury eintreffen, wird eine Frau aus der Gruppe um Jack ermordet. Der Schlüssel zur Tat scheint in der Vergangenheit zu liegen. Aber auch dem Rätsel um die geheimnisvollen Botschaften kommt die Gruppe langsam näher … (Verlagstext)
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
Not my favorite of this series. I don't care for the more mystic elements here - at least not in a series that is otherwise grounded in reality. I also found myself well and truly annoyed by the developments in the relationship between Duncan and Gemma. Not so much by what happens, but by how that all goes down, and particularly by the lack of communication between them. I'm growing tired of how each move forward in their relationship seems to happen by accident, or under stress, or due to some other outside force. Can't two people just love each other and choose to be together? ( )
  duchessjlh | Dec 2, 2019 |
Each book in Crombie's series becomes richer, more complex and engaging, and moving.

This one about a tourist town with the attraction of Glastonbury's Abbey, with its medieval history of monks, music, power plays and violence, as well the raw forbidding tangible pull of the Tor is utilized as background for a modern day mystery of pregnancy, love, fear and spirituality.

The book's focus on the search for documentation of the old compelling church chants brought to mind Louis Penny's The Beautiful Mystery about a monastery and its music.

It was a pleasure meeting excellent characters Jack, Winnie, Faith and Nick.

Good read.
  Bookish59 | Nov 21, 2019 |
A Finer End by Deborah Crombie is the seventh mystery featuring Scotland Yard detectives Duncan Kincaid and Gemma Jones. Although I wasn’t totally enamoured of the plot in this book, the author’s wonderful writing and multilayered characters totally drew me along until I literally couldn’t put the book down. Steering away from the traditional police procedural that usually forms the framework for these mysteries, this story was filled with touches of the supernatural.

The author has set the story in the ancient town of Glastonbury, Duncan’s cousin Jack is receiving messages from a 10th century monk in the form of automated writings. A small group gather to help Jack explore what these messages mean, but among this small group there are troubled souls and dark secrets. When violence erupts, Jack contacts Duncan and he and Gemma arrive to find one murder has already occurred.

As well as solving crime together, Duncan and Gemma have a personal relationship that has been slowly evolving over the course of the books. Gemma is now taking steps to separate their personal lives and their working lives, and she has a secret to divulge that could possibly change everything.

I love this series, and this couple and although I am too much of a skeptic to totally accept the paranormal elements in this particular story, I still found myself enjoying the book a lot. I am looking forward to continuing on with the series. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 10, 2019 |
After the comments about Glastonbary, then Wells and the anti-ley line comments and then the pro-ley line no electricity or running water folks, I'd had more than enough to send me into cringing flashback memories of Bath and the various festivals. No thanks. ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |

Crombie, Deborahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Books, RecordedPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crichton, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jäger, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Imagination is a great gift, a Divine power of the mind,
and may be trained and educated to create
and to receive only that which is true.
Frederick Bligh Bond,
from The Gate of Remembrance
For my mother, who has always believed in me.
The shadows crept into Jack Montfort's small office, filling the corners with a comfortable dimness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,817,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible