The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom…

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Tom Angleberger

Member:Ella.Kennen
Title:The Strange Case of Origami Yoda
Authors:Tom Angleberger
Info:Amulet Books (2010), Hardcover, 160 pages
Rating:*****

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger (2010)

Star Wars: Jedi Academy by Jeffrey Brown (BookLizard)
    You Will Call Me Drog (Carolrhoda) by Sue Cowing (kaledrina)
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Diary of a Wimpy Kid has a lot more drawings, but both of these laugh-out-loud books are made even funnier by their cartoon illustrations. Both books also have great characters (from seriously quirky to utterly normal) who have realistic middle-school embarrassments, problems--and victories.… (more)
    No Talking by Andrew Clements (panbiot)
    panbiot: Ragazzi che cercano soluzioni con originalità a problemi quotidiani

June 2014 Great Middle Grade Reads botm.

Just light fun, ultimately. The ideas have been done before, but the package presentation is fresh and that's a Good Thing for the right audience. If you've got readers who aren't moving much beyond Wimpy Kid, this is like taking the training wheels off the little kids' bike. If you are already on a big kids' bike, don't bother with this. My opinion. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
The Strange Case of Origami Yoda was last month’s selection for the Intergenerational Book Club that my sons and I belong to. Both my boys love this book series (Origami Yoda being book one¬ of the series) and I was curious to find out what the appeal was. And now I know. This book is a case file, written by Tommy, of his investigation to find out if Dwight’s Origami Yoda is real. Is Yoda offering wise advice to Tommy and his classmates or is it just Dwight pretending that it’s Yoda? Tommy lets two of his friends read and comment on the case file. One of friends just makes funny drawings in the margins – giving the book the same look as Diary of a Wimpy Kid book, which of course kids love. The other friend does not believe in Origami Yoda at all and offers hilarious devil’s advocate type notes at the bottom of Tommy’s entries. I laughed out loud at some of his comments; they were really funny.

This was a great choice for book club. You can discuss whether or not you think Origami Yoda is real and why Dwight is so strange, among other things. We made Origami Yodas after our discussion which was fun for everyone. There are instructions at the end of the book or you can find easier versions online. We didn’t have snacks this time but Cheetos would have been perfect. One incident that Yoda gives advice on in the book involves Cheetos.

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda is a fun and funny book that any kid will love, especially if they are a Star Wars or Diary of a Wimpy Kid fans. ( )
  mcelhra | Jan 15, 2015 |
Origami Yoda is a paper folded character that can predict the future. But no one beleves it can because its controlled by Dwight. He is one of the weirdest kids in school. But after origami yoda predicts actual events that happen origami yoda becomes extremly conservercial at school. Thats why its called the strange case of origami Yoda because the book is an entire case file of kids storys of orgami yoda helping them. Some think that its really dwight because hes the one controlling what hes saying. While others like Harvey think its baloney. but after origami yoda predicts what will happen at the school dance correcly everyone is loving the wisdom of origami Yoda. Plus now dwight is poular at school.
I like this book because its an easy read. I also like this book because im a big fan of star wars. Another reason is it has funny crtoon pictures on the side that help you get a feel to whats happening. Finally i like this book because its set at school so i can to relate to their problems. To conclude I like this book because its fuuny, it has something to do with star wars, it has funny cartoons, and its set at school. ( )
  JacobDb1 | Jan 12, 2015 |
Dwight, a master of origami but otherwise an outcast of the sixth grade, creates an origami Yoda finger puppet who gives remarkably good advice--but is Yoda for real?

I got this as an audiobook for a car ride. At first, I was turned off by the references to freaks, losers, and weirdos, but gradually, the characters grew on me, especially as the humor came through. This is actually a touching story of accepting others and yourself, and I always like books about basically good kids. My husband and I enjoyed the many pop culture references as well. We will definitely be trying other books in this series with our son.

Listened to on vacation (July 2014) ( )
  sturlington | Jul 29, 2014 |
Quick & fun; I liked this much better than Wimpy Kid. I also liked the little seed of an idea planted in the story: perhaps, sometimes, it's not so much that you are messing with the geeks than it is that they are messing with YOU. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |

Tom Anglebergerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rosenstock, Jason L.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my parents, Wayne and Mary Ann, and my grandmother Arlene, who bought me my first Yoda action figure even though she thought he was ugly.
The big question: Is Origami Yoda real?

In this funny, uncannily wise portrait of the dynamics of a sixth-grade class and of the greatness that sometimes comes in unlikely packages, Dwight, a loser, talks to his classmates via an origami finger puppet of Yoda. If that weren’t strange enough, the puppet is uncannily wise and prescient. Origami Yoda predicts the date of a pop quiz, guesses who stole the classroom Shakespeare bust, and saves a classmate from popularity-crushing embarrassment with some well-timed advice. Dwight’s classmate Tommy wonders how Yoda can be so smart when Dwight himself is so clueless. With contributions from his puzzled classmates, he assembles the case file that forms this novel.

F&P Level: T
F&P Genre: RF

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:55 -0400)

Sixth-grader Tommy and his friends describe their interactions with a paper finger puppet of Yoda, worn by their weird classmate Dwight, as they try to figure out whether or not the puppet can really predict the future. Includes instructions for making Origami Yoda.… (more)

47 wanted2 pay4 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,137,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible