The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom…

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Tom Angleberger

Member:Ella.Kennen
Title:The Strange Case of Origami Yoda
Authors:Tom Angleberger
Info:Amulet Books (2010), Hardcover, 160 pages
Rating:*****

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger (2010)

Star Wars: Jedi Academy by Jeffrey Brown (BookLizard)
    You Will Call Me Drog (Carolrhoda) by Sue Cowing (kaledrina)
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Diary of a Wimpy Kid has a lot more drawings, but both of these laugh-out-loud books are made even funnier by their cartoon illustrations. Both books also have great characters (from seriously quirky to utterly normal) who have realistic middle-school embarrassments, problems--and victories.… (more)
    No Talking by Andrew Clements (cf66)
    cf66: Ragazzi che cercano soluzioni con originalità a problemi quotidiani

June 2014 Great Middle Grade Reads botm.

Just light fun, ultimately. The ideas have been done before, but the package presentation is fresh and that's a Good Thing for the right audience. If you've got readers who aren't moving much beyond Wimpy Kid, this is like taking the training wheels off the little kids' bike. If you are already on a big kids' bike, don't bother with this. My opinion. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
What a fantastic read! This is a funny, insightful tale of middle school awkwardness at its best. And it has Yoda.

The voices of the kids are genuine from Tommy who just wants to figure it all out to his friend who speaks into a recorder so "it doesn't feel like homework." I wouldn't say there is depth to the characters, but when discussing the politics of middle school, that's to be expected. There's a hint of romance, but not sappy, convoluted grown up love. Instead you get shy, middle school "Does she like me?" and "Do you think he likes me back?" love. It sure takes me back to when holding hands was the best thing ever.

The little details in the publishing make for a casual feel and add to the fun. The seemingly crumpled pages that make up the book, the doodles by the friend, and the use of varying fonts for different contributors and comments. This makes for a dynamic text that will not prove boring for readers. There are even instructions to make your own Origami Yoda.

This is a great little that had me giggling and, like Yoda, left me thinking, "The end this is?" ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
I brought this book home from the library to read for this assignment and my 4th grader snatched and read it first. Now that I've read it I can say that the writing style has high appeal by being journal style and has comical illustrations that appear hand drawn. This is what initially attracted my son to the book and also he likes Star Wars. The story takes place in middle school and covers a range of middle school issues such as name calling, first dances and most importantly that being different is not always a bad thing. A boy named Dwight has made an origami Yoda finger puppet and is dispensing wisdom to his classmates. The writer of the story is trying to figure out if there's some magic in it as the wisdom has been paying off or if it's a scam. Lots of Star Wars references that will appeal to any young fans of Star Wars. ( )
  charimc | Mar 2, 2016 |
This book was so cute! I read it as a "middle-grade" book for the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge of 2016. I love how positive it is about being an individual, and the Star Wars references are great! Origami Yoda is so adorable! I can't wait to try to make one for myself :) ( )
  thealtereggo | Feb 26, 2016 |
Such a fun book! I want to either lend it to my sister to read to her daughter or babysit so I can read it to her myself. It's a sweet story, actually really well-written, and kids would love it. I can only assume it would be best for those who know Star Wars, but I'm guessing you could give non-geek kids a quick lesson and they'd probably do fine with it. (We'll find out, because I don't think Alex knows anything about Star Wars.)
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |

Schepmann, JuliaSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schweder, MarcelKomponistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinbruner, GregNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turetsky, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my parents, Wayne and Mary Ann, and my grandmother Arlene, who bought me my first Yoda action figure even though she thought he was ugly.
The big question: Is Origami Yoda real?

In this funny, uncannily wise portrait of the dynamics of a sixth-grade class and of the greatness that sometimes comes in unlikely packages, Dwight, a loser, talks to his classmates via an origami finger puppet of Yoda. If that weren’t strange enough, the puppet is uncannily wise and prescient. Origami Yoda predicts the date of a pop quiz, guesses who stole the classroom Shakespeare bust, and saves a classmate from popularity-crushing embarrassment with some well-timed advice. Dwight’s classmate Tommy wonders how Yoda can be so smart when Dwight himself is so clueless. With contributions from his puzzled classmates, he assembles the case file that forms this novel.

F&P Level: T
F&P Genre: RF

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:55 -0400)

Sixth-grader Tommy and his friends describe their interactions with a paper finger puppet of Yoda, worn by their weird classmate Dwight, as they try to figure out whether or not the puppet can really predict the future. Includes instructions for making Origami Yoda.… (more)

40 wanted2 pay4 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,185,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible