The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom…

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Tom Angleberger

Member:Ella.Kennen
Title:The Strange Case of Origami Yoda
Authors:Tom Angleberger
Info:Amulet Books (2010), Hardcover, 160 pages
Rating:*****

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger (2010)

You Will Call Me Drog (Carolrhoda) by Sue Cowing (kaledrina)
    No Talking by Andrew Clements (panbiot)
    panbiot: Ragazzi che cercano soluzioni con originalità a problemi quotidiani

Dwight, a master of origami but otherwise an outcast of the sixth grade, creates an origami Yoda finger puppet who gives remarkably good advice--but is Yoda for real?

I got this as an audiobook for a car ride. At first, I was turned off by the references to freaks, losers, and weirdos, but gradually, the characters grew on me, especially as the humor came through. This is actually a touching story of accepting others and yourself, and I always like books about basically good kids. My husband and I enjoyed the many pop culture references as well. We will definitely be trying other books in this series with our son.

Listened to on vacation (July 2014) ( )
  sturlington | Jul 29, 2014 |
Quick & fun; I liked this much better than Wimpy Kid. I also liked the little seed of an idea planted in the story: perhaps, sometimes, it's not so much that you are messing with the geeks than it is that they are messing with YOU. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
Well, 3 1/2 stars.

I had such high hopes for this book, but I fear I may have set it up too much. While the concept is great and the stories fun, I don't think the author quite captured the voices of the characters. Everything else delivered—but without nailing the voice, it completely missed the chance at being great instead of just good.

It's still a worthy read, and I imagine kids will really enjoy it. ( )
  shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |
Tommy is in sixth grade and he and his friends are trying to determine the truth behind Dwight and his Origami Yoda. Dwight is the strange kid at school who carries an advice giving, origami Yoda finger puppet in his pocket. So Tommy compiles testimonies from many of his friends to determine if Origami Yoda is real. As the first book in the series, the storyline uses the testimonies and Tommy’s comments to interweave the humor and drama of making friends and talking with girls in early middle school life. The change in narration is clearly explained at the beginning and end of each chapter. The pages are artfully created with small drawings in the margins associated the text on each page and the pages give the appearance of being crumpled or torn. Instructions of how to build your own origami yoda are included in the back matter. This book will capture the attention of middle schoolers with lower reading levels. Younger children interested in Star Wars will also enjoy this book, though the occasional references to flirting or dancing with girls may not interest them. This book is recommended for purchase as a hi-lo book for reluctant readers, though it will likely be a popular item for patrons of many ages and reading abilities. (Ages 8-13) ( )
  alyssakimpisarski | Nov 3, 2013 |
Review from library copy.

GSTBA nominee 6-8, going to booktalk it to my tween BYOB club. Why did it take me so long to read this? ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to my parents, Wayne and Mary Ann, and my grandmother Arlene, who bought me my first Yoda action figure even though she thought he was ugly.
The big question: Is Origami Yoda real?

In this funny, uncannily wise portrait of the dynamics of a sixth-grade class and of the greatness that sometimes comes in unlikely packages, Dwight, a loser, talks to his classmates via an origami finger puppet of Yoda. If that weren’t strange enough, the puppet is uncannily wise and prescient. Origami Yoda predicts the date of a pop quiz, guesses who stole the classroom Shakespeare bust, and saves a classmate from popularity-crushing embarrassment with some well-timed advice. Dwight’s classmate Tommy wonders how Yoda can be so smart when Dwight himself is so clueless. With contributions from his puzzled classmates, he assembles the case file that forms this novel.

F&P Level: T
F&P Genre: RF

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:12 -0400)

Sixth-grader Tommy and his friends describe their interactions with a paper finger puppet of Yoda, worn by their weird classmate Dwight, as they try to figure out whether or not the puppet can really predict the future. Includes instructions for making Origami Yoda.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible