A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck

A Long Way from Chicago (1998)

by Richard Peck

What an amazing book! One of my favorite authors. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
This has been a charming and delightful read.

A series of short stories spanning 1929 to 1942 telling of the yearly summer visits of Joey and Mary Alice to their Grandma's. Being born and raised in Chicago, spending a week in a small whistle stop of a town was a whole different world. Things ran a bit slower and people really did communicate with each other.

Grandma Dowdel's house was the last one on the single street of the town. No phone, an outdoor privy for toilet facilities, no car for transportation; she lived a simple life, but she wasn't simple.

Remembrances of happenings and dealings with the various characters that made up the population show how wily Grandma could be along with the deep caring she had, even if she seemed to be a "tough old boot". A humourous look at a different time and place.

ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
Excellent book, with history, humor, and discuss-able characters and themes. Somehow I just didn't really enjoy it, though. I guess because I kept comparing Mrs. Dowdel with my own widowed, opinionated, strong, privy-using Grandma, and there was some match, and some contrast, and the dissonance made me uncomfortable.

Short enough I did read the sequel, so I'll just copy this comment there. Read other's reviews to decide for yourself whether you want to try this. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A Long Way From Chicago isn't exactly a novel; it is a series of seven short stories that take place in sequential years, as Joey and his sister Mary Alice spend a summer with their tough, eccentric grandmother during the Great Depression. Grandma Dowdel is a woman to be reckoned with, and she is stern, tough, opinionated, and difficult. But all of those characteristics cover her lovable heart-of-gold, that she doesn't seem to want anyone to see. Each story is funny and craftily plotted. ( )
  fingerpost | Jun 5, 2016 |
A collection of summer holidays at their grandmother's place through years , where Joey and his sister Mary Alice gets a bundle of memories. Memories to cherish after years and wonder did it all happen? A very different grandmother who lives alone in the house of their village who is not at all perfect but brave, who is a little bit dishonest, a bit of a liar, a bit of cruel and kind too...

One of the best children's books :) ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
For Judy and David Everson and to remember James Jones
It was always August when we spent a week with our grandma.

Join Joey and his sister Mary Alice as they spend nine unforgettable summers with the worst influence imaginable-their grandmother!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

A boy recounts his annual summer trips to rural Illinois with his sister during the Great Depression to visit their larger-than-life grandmother.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,242,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible