A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck

A Long Way from Chicago (1998)

by Richard Peck

Excellent book, with history, humor, and discuss-able characters and themes. Somehow I just didn't really enjoy it, though. I guess because I kept comparing Mrs. Dowdel with my own widowed, opinionated, strong, privy-using Grandma, and there was some match, and some contrast, and the dissonance made me uncomfortable.

Short enough I did read the sequel, so I'll just copy this comment there. Read other's reviews to decide for yourself whether you want to try this. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A Long Way From Chicago isn't exactly a novel; it is a series of seven short stories that take place in sequential years, as Joey and his sister Mary Alice spend a summer with their tough, eccentric grandmother during the Great Depression. Grandma Dowdel is a woman to be reckoned with, and she is stern, tough, opinionated, and difficult. But all of those characteristics cover her lovable heart-of-gold, that she doesn't seem to want anyone to see. Each story is funny and craftily plotted. ( )
  fingerpost | Jun 5, 2016 |
A collection of summer holidays at their grandmother's place through years , where Joey and his sister Mary Alice gets a bundle of memories. Memories to cherish after years and wonder did it all happen? A very different grandmother who lives alone in the house of their village who is not at all perfect but brave, who is a little bit dishonest, a bit of a liar, a bit of cruel and kind too...

One of the best children's books :) ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
A book about the narrator and his sister's annual visit to see their grandmother in a small town in Illinois during the Depression. The grandmother is a bit scary and hard to figure out at first, but as the years go by they look forward to their visits and how the adventures they inevitably have with her. ( )
  ChristianR | Feb 22, 2016 |
4.5 stars. This was a GREAT book, and I'm not usually a big fan of the short story. The premise is that Joey and Mary Alice, two kids from Chicago, are sent to their Grandma's for one week every summer starting in 1929. There is a story for each visit, going through I believe 1942 (although there is not a story for every single year). Grandma lives in rural Illinois, and doesn't want anybody in her business. She is an amazing, larger-than-life character who goes about doing her own form of justice in interesting ways. She's not a huggy, laughing kind of grandma, but a strong one who teaches them interesting lessons - so interesting, that the kids are afraid to tell their parents about them, lest they decide to stop sending them for the (once-dreaded) visits. Really interesting look the depression in the Midwest, and how people coped.

I can't wait to read the sequel, where Mary Alice is sent to live with Grandma for a whole year (A Year Down Yonder). Off to request it at the library! ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
For Judy and David Everson and to remember James Jones
It was always August when we spent a week with our grandma.

Join Joey and his sister Mary Alice as they spend nine unforgettable summers with the worst influence imaginable-their grandmother!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

A boy recounts his annual summer trips to rural Illinois with his sister during the Great Depression to visit their larger-than-life grandmother.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,134,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible