A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck

A Long Way from Chicago (1998)

by Richard Peck

Recently added byprivate library, tarpfarmer, suzielo, Shamgar, julielb, rachelmentzer, ASIJ, printz

A book about the narrator and his sister's annual visit to see their grandmother in a small town in Illinois during the Depression. The grandmother is a bit scary and hard to figure out at first, but as the years go by they look forward to their visits and how the adventures they inevitably have with her. ( )
  ChristianR | Feb 22, 2016 |
4.5 stars. This was a GREAT book, and I'm not usually a big fan of the short story. The premise is that Joey and Mary Alice, two kids from Chicago, are sent to their Grandma's for one week every summer starting in 1929. There is a story for each visit, going through I believe 1942 (although there is not a story for every single year). Grandma lives in rural Illinois, and doesn't want anybody in her business. She is an amazing, larger-than-life character who goes about doing her own form of justice in interesting ways. She's not a huggy, laughing kind of grandma, but a strong one who teaches them interesting lessons - so interesting, that the kids are afraid to tell their parents about them, lest they decide to stop sending them for the (once-dreaded) visits. Really interesting look the depression in the Midwest, and how people coped.

I can't wait to read the sequel, where Mary Alice is sent to live with Grandma for a whole year (A Year Down Yonder). Off to request it at the library! ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Joey and his sister Mary Alice spend part of their summers with their crusty, tough-as-nails and a little bit conniving Grandma. Each chapter recounts a summer and a major event that involved or required Grandma’s tricky mind. The book has humorist style reminiscent of Mark Twain or the Great Brain series.

Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
One of my favorites! ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Joey & Mary Alice are sent for the summer to visit their Grandma Dowdel who lives in a small whistle-stop town between the Wabash Railroad's Chicago & St. Louis run.

The book is broken down into a series of "stories" taking place from 1929-1935 and 1942.

The prologue begins: "It was always August when we spent a week with our grandma......In our first visits we were still just kids, so we could hardly see her town because of Grandma. She was so big, and the town was so small........"

The stories come alive with the evocative writing of Peck....It's no wonder that this book is a Newbery Award Honor Book. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
For Judy and David Everson and to remember James Jones
It was always August when we spent a week with our grandma.

Join Joey and his sister Mary Alice as they spend nine unforgettable summers with the worst influence imaginable-their grandmother!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

A boy recounts his annual summer trips to rural Illinois with his sister during the Great Depression to visit their larger-than-life grandmother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible