A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck

A Long Way from Chicago (1998)

by Richard Peck

2,361None2,648 (4.21)60

This book is a hoot! Joe and Mary Alice go to Chicago to visit their crazy grandmother. Anything goes with this crazy lady! They find their first dead corpse, grandma terrorizes the town, they find the sheriff in his underwear- each chapter is another adventure. Grandma is a one woman crime wave in this chapter book. If I were Joe and Mary Alices parents I would probably think twice about sending my kids to grandma for the summer. I could also see where grandma was trying to do good by her grandkids. Switching the name tags was definitely the wrong thing to do but all she was trying to do was get her grandson a ride on the airplane. I liked this book. Humor seems to be a trend in many of the childrens books I have read and I feel like that is a key component in this book. ( )
  jessotto | Apr 2, 2014 |
always loved peck's books! ( )
  Nerdfighters | Feb 8, 2014 |
A boy recounts his annual summer trips to rural Illinois with his sister during the Great Depression to visit their larger-than-life grandmother. ( )
  paula-childrenslib | Jan 14, 2014 |
Review from library copy

Richard Peck grew up in Decatur, IL, and this book is set right near there. I know a bit about the actual locations he mentions. ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |
What a fun read! I couldn't quite say, "It was amazing!" but for a preteen/young adult quick read, this one really deserves 5 stars. Clean, funny, clever, it makes you think just a bit about what the younger generation can learn from the older.

Told from the perspective of a young boy, it chronicles the summer visits of Joey and his sister, Mary Alice, as they visit their eccentric, cranky, and very large grandma in her small town. You get to watch the children grow up with each chapter, and you learn just a snippet more about their grandma. By the end, you fall in love with her--her faults as well as her good qualities. I'm going to have to look up more Richard Peck books!

G-PG-rated--how refreshing! ( )
  jessibelle34 | Jul 12, 2013 |
For Judy and David Everson and to remember James Jones
It was always August when we spent a week with our grandma.

Join Joey and his sister Mary Alice as they spend nine unforgettable summers with the worst influence imaginable-their grandmother!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:43 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,483,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible