A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck

A Long Way from Chicago (1998)

by Richard Peck

In my opinion, this book was very interesting. I really enjoyed reading this book because every chapter of the book was a new visit from Joe and Mary Alice. As a reader I was able to see the children grow from being young to being in high school.

In this book, I liked the plot. Each chapter is a brand new story with a brand new plot. I liked that the plots were paced well even though the chapters were only twenty pages. Each chapter had a beginning, climax, and a resolution, but then the overall book had a beginning, climax, and resolution. It was interesting to see how the author was able to do that.

I also liked the point of view of the book. It was in Joe's point of view. This book starts in 1929 and ends in 1942. As a reader I was able to see Joe grow and see his perspective of things that he encountered in the town. In the beginning he was shocked by what type of person his grandmother was, but by the time he became a young adult, he appreciated who his grandmother was.

I think that the purpose of this book was to bring awareness of the different events in history and also allow readers to be entertained with a fictional story. Events like the Great Depression and Prohibition are mentioned so the readers kind of learn about the events in a fun way. ( )
  epark6 | Oct 23, 2014 |
A Long Way from Chicago is a great story about a girl named Mary and her brother Joey, who spend most of their summers when they were younger with their unpredictable grandmother. Every summer something unexpected and out of the ordinary happens. I loved this book!! The grandmother in the story was quite a character. She has a unusual personality and is not one of the greatest role models for Joey and Alice. I thought that it was funny how no matter how outrageous their grandmother acted that they still wanted to come back. Although the grandmother had a different way of doing things, after a couple of chapters I felt like I knew her and I expected certain things from her. This book did a good job at making a person feel engaged in the book. I liked how the story was broken up into each summer. This was a great touch to help with comprehension of the stories for children. Through out the story some of the vocabulary seems a bit much at time and children might need a glossary to help them understand certain ideas. This is a good book to help with understanding how things were during this great depression period. Overall, I loved this book and would recommend this book. This book is one that would be great for reading out loud and would create some laughs for children. ( )
  abenne6 | Oct 22, 2014 |
Funny as always Grandma teaches the kids how to survive by fishing, making homemade soap, and other activities. She enlist them in her charity work, pie baking contest, and sneaking lovers out of town. ( )
  AmberEgan | Jun 10, 2014 |
What a great book. Gives the feel of an early 20th century Mark Twain. Funny small-town characters and a Grandma who keeps her grand kids (and the reader) guessing what she'll do/say next. The sign of a good book is wishing there was more, I'll be reading more Richard Peck. ( )
  JStandlee | May 20, 2014 |
This book is a hoot! Joe and Mary Alice go to Chicago to visit their crazy grandmother. Anything goes with this crazy lady! They find their first dead corpse, grandma terrorizes the town, they find the sheriff in his underwear- each chapter is another adventure. Grandma is a one woman crime wave in this chapter book. If I were Joe and Mary Alices parents I would probably think twice about sending my kids to grandma for the summer. I could also see where grandma was trying to do good by her grandkids. Switching the name tags was definitely the wrong thing to do but all she was trying to do was get her grandson a ride on the airplane. I liked this book. Humor seems to be a trend in many of the childrens books I have read and I feel like that is a key component in this book. ( )
  jessotto | Apr 2, 2014 |
For Judy and David Everson and to remember James Jones
It was always August when we spent a week with our grandma.

Join Joey and his sister Mary Alice as they spend nine unforgettable summers with the worst influence imaginable-their grandmother!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:43 -0400)

A boy recounts his annual summer trips to rural Illinois with his sister during the Great Depression to visit their larger-than-life grandmother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,996,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible