A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck

A Long Way from Chicago (1998)

by Richard Peck

Funny as always Grandma teaches the kids how to survive by fishing, making homemade soap, and other activities. She enlist them in her charity work, pie baking contest, and sneaking lovers out of town. ( )
  AmberEgan | Jun 10, 2014 |
What a great book. Gives the feel of an early 20th century Mark Twain. Funny small-town characters and a Grandma who keeps her grand kids (and the reader) guessing what she'll do/say next. The sign of a good book is wishing there was more, I'll be reading more Richard Peck. ( )
  JStandlee | May 20, 2014 |
This book is a hoot! Joe and Mary Alice go to Chicago to visit their crazy grandmother. Anything goes with this crazy lady! They find their first dead corpse, grandma terrorizes the town, they find the sheriff in his underwear- each chapter is another adventure. Grandma is a one woman crime wave in this chapter book. If I were Joe and Mary Alices parents I would probably think twice about sending my kids to grandma for the summer. I could also see where grandma was trying to do good by her grandkids. Switching the name tags was definitely the wrong thing to do but all she was trying to do was get her grandson a ride on the airplane. I liked this book. Humor seems to be a trend in many of the childrens books I have read and I feel like that is a key component in this book. ( )
  jessotto | Apr 2, 2014 |
always loved peck's books! ( )
  Nerdfighters | Feb 8, 2014 |
A boy recounts his annual summer trips to rural Illinois with his sister during the Great Depression to visit their larger-than-life grandmother. ( )
  paula-childrenslib | Jan 14, 2014 |
For Judy and David Everson and to remember James Jones
It was always August when we spent a week with our grandma.

Join Joey and his sister Mary Alice as they spend nine unforgettable summers with the worst influence imaginable-their grandmother!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:43 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible