Scars by Cheryl Rainfield

Info:Westside Books (2010), Edition: First, Hardcover, 250 pages
Collections:Ruth Ohi books
Rating:*****

Scars by Cheryl Rainfield

Identical by Ellen Hopkins (ZippetyDoo)
    One Moment by Kristina McBride (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both books are about young girls struggling to remember horrific events. Both are full of raw and real emotions.
    Shayla's Double Brown Baby Blues by Lori Aurelia Williams (meggyweg)
    Willow by Julia Hoban (ZippetyDoo)
    Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess (ZippetyDoo)

I have always been drawn to heavy drama, what I often refer to as "trauma drama" and this book fits that category. It was recommended to me a duple of years ago and I bought a copy, stuck it on a shelf, and never read it, The story itself is well constructed, especially for such a short book, but I feel the ending was solid. Often, particularly in books written for children and/or young adults, stories with heavy subject matter are neatly tied up and given happy endings. This tends to ruin any realism the story had. However, Scars leaves us with the reality of the need to work through things over time. Sorry, no spoilers!

I might be inclined to use this as a lit circle choice, realizing that I may need a permission slip for older middle school age kids (and maybe even freshmen depending on the school). It could be used as a tool for lessons dealing with mental health and or abuse. In using this book, though, I think one would need to be on the watch for trigger issues.
  mtknick | Jan 27, 2016 |
Fifteen-year-old Kendra’s memories and cutting episodes have been getting worse. Sexually abused from the age of 2 until she was 12 years old , and unable to cope with the trauma, she’s resorted to cutting herself. Read the rest on my blog (are you following me yet? If you were, you wouldn't have to read a few sentences, but would get the entire review in your mailbox. Just enter your email address on my blog.) Here's the link to the rest of the review: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/11/15/scars-cheryl-rainfield/
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
The books made my want to cry.... but it was EPICLY and INSANELY awesome!!!! ( )
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
Someone is following me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193481332X, Hardcover)

Kendra, fifteen, hasn't felt safe since she began to recall devastating memories of childhood sexual abuse, especially because she still can't remember the most important detail-- her abuser's identity. Frightened, Kendra believes someone is always watching and following her, leaving menacing messages only she understands. If she lets her guard down even for a minute, it could cost Kendra her life. To relieve the pressure, Kendra cuts; aside from her brilliantly expressive artwork, it's her only way of coping. Since her own mother is too self-absorbed to hear her cries for help, Kendra finds support in others instead: from her therapist and her art teacher, from Sandy, the close family friend who encourages her artwork, and from Meghan, the classmate who's becoming a friend and maybe more. But the truth about Kendra's abuse is just waiting to explode, with startling unforeseen consequences. Scars is the unforgettable story of one girl's frightening path to the truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:26 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Kendra, a budding artist, has not felt safe since she began to recall devastating memories of childhood sexual abuse, especially since she cannot remember her abuser's identity, and she copes with the pressure by cutting herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,506,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible