Scars by Cheryl Rainfield

Title:Scars
Authors:Cheryl Rainfield
Info:WestSide Books (2011), Paperback, 248 pages
Collections:Your library, eBooks
Tags:Kindle, sexual abuse, cutters, self-mutilation, lesbian

Scars by Cheryl Rainfield

Identical by Ellen Hopkins (ZippetyDoo)
    One Moment by Kristina McBride (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both books are about young girls struggling to remember horrific events. Both are full of raw and real emotions.
    Shayla's Double Brown Baby Blues by Lori Aurelia Williams (meggyweg)
    Willow by Julia Hoban (ZippetyDoo)
    Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess (ZippetyDoo)

Fast read. Cheryl gives the reader an insight into the life of a survivor of abuse and cutting. The reader is given hope and ways to deal with the abuse and self-destructive behavior. I would suggest this book to anyone who cuts or know someone who cuts. You are not alone. There is help out here and people who care. ( )
  tracyjo | May 23, 2014 |

This book is t for the weak. But it should be read by people who may be in or may know of some one in a bad place or being abused. ( )
  Bettyb30 | Jun 24, 2013 |
Book Info: Genre: Young Adult literature
Reading Level: Young Adult with the caveat that this addresses serious issues; readers should have someone to whom they can turn for assistance with any issues that it brings up. Some of the abuse scenes are very graphic and very disturbing.
Recommended for: Anyone who can read it
Trigger Warnings: Child molestation/incest (very graphic scenes), cutting (graphic), homophobia, suicidal ideation, child abuse and neglect, assault with a deadly weapon, ritual abuse

My Thoughts: Wow, this book is brutal: absolutely brutal. Not only is Kendra trying to survive the memories of her abuse as a child, but she's also coming to grips with being a lesbian and dealing with the ignorance of her family. They try to be accepting, but keep saying things like, “If you choose to be a lesbian, you're choosing a hard road.” People just can't seem to understand it is not a choice! I mean, who in their right mind would choose to live with the sort of hatred and discrimination that people in the QUILTBAG have to deal with? No, it's the way a person is born, nothing to do with any choice. The only correct thing about that statement is the “hard road” bit. I was very happy that a) Kendra figured it out so young and b) she had a friend of the family who was gay that would support and encourage her.

Cheryl Rainfield has said, “I write the books that I needed as a teen.” She also writes the extremely hard and brutal truth. She digs so deeply into the head of the abused Kendra that I felt like I needed a shower after reading some of the things that poor child went through.

While the book is brutal and disturbing, it's also very well-written. I just realized, after finishing it, that I didn't notice a single editing error. I couldn't tell you if that was because they weren't there or I just didn't notice them; I was absolutely enthralled by this story. It was hard to read, but … I really can't recommend it enough. If you can stand to read it, you really should.

Disclosure: I picked up this book from Amazon during a free promotion. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Kendra, fifteen, hasn't felt safe since she began to recall devastating memories of childhood sexual abuse, especially because she still can't remember the most important detail—her abuser's identity. Frightened, Kendra believes someone is always watching and following her, leaving menacing messages only she understands. If she lets her guard down even for a minute, it could cost Kendra her life. To relieve the pressure, Kendra cuts; aside from her brilliantly expressive artwork, it's her only way of coping. Since her own mother is too self-absorbed to hear her cries for help, Kendra finds support in others instead: from her therapist and her art teacher, from Sandy, the close family friend who encourages her artwork, and from Meghan, the classmate who's becoming a friend and maybe more. But the truth about Kendra's abuse is just waiting to explode, with startling unforeseen consequences. Scars is the unforgettable story of one girl's frightening path to the truth. ( )
  Katyas | Jun 14, 2013 |
I originally reviewed this book on my blog - The Cosy Dragon. For more recent reviews by me, please hop over there.

Heart-rending. Kendra is in therapy, trying to come to terms with abuse that she suffered as a young child. At the tender age of 15, those painful memories are surfacing. Just as she seems to be getting closer to the roots of her problems, her life is being ripped apart again by parents who don't seem to understand her.

This book is compelling. In 42 short chapters it ripped Kendra apart, and slowly put her back together again. For that matter, it ripped me apart as well. I identified with so many things in this book, and it was painful to read. Kendra is a believable, well-realised character that is so much more than the events that have shaped her. She has her art (and cutting) as an outlet, and I only wish I could create things like she does.

I hesitate to file this under angst, because really, it's so much more than that. Sexual abuse and physical abuse are nothing to be laughed at, particularly as they have such long lasting effects on their victims. People like Kendra don't want to be victims, they want to stand up for themselves, but it is so hard facing what has been done to them.

Just to top off an already awesome, amazing book, this has queer elements in it. Lesbians, gays - and the accompanying homophobia that sadly does still accompany it. Also the assumption that being gay is a choice. Although the ending is satifying, I kind of long for a sequel, to know how things turn out for them both.

This is a book that you will find yourself thinking about long after you have finished reading it. The real issues it raises, the multitude of questions it tries to answer, everything. It was everything I hoped for in reading it.

This book is perhaps not one you'd be comfortable reading in public. The cover art is very provocative. It's also relatively triggering for those who have survived abuse or have self-harmed at some point (recovering or current).

I'd recommend this book for older teens, and adults. Yes, it's a YA fiction, but it's a great insight into how a teen's mind can work under stress. Please, put this on your to-read immediatly shelf. It is worth reading. This is my 60th review reward book, and I'm so glad I chose this book. It's a well-spent $8, even if it's reading time for me was just under 2 hours. Yes, it's not going to be to everyone's taste, but please, make an effort. It could just open your own eyes so that you can save others, or perhaps realise that you aren't alone. My recent rediscovery of Goodreads helped me find this book. I'm glad I did. ( )
  Rosemarie.Herbert | Feb 14, 2013 |
[edit]
Let me start off by telling you a little about my journey to reading this book. I first saw this on Goodreads and felt this tug to read it. I rarely get that feeling with books, but when I do I know to follow it because it will lead me somewhere good. I rented this from the library on Thursday and my best-friend came over and spotted it. With a cover like that it grabbed her attention and when I walked in from making some popcorn, she was already 20 pages in. She literally sat there and read this book cover-to-cover within two hourse. She kept telling me that she needed to keep reading, that she couldn’t put it down. She needed to see it through to the end.

So, for an individual who already wanted to read this book, I was now hungry. Right after she left the next day, I started reading….and didn’t put it down until the end. I met Kendra, a girl who cuts herself to deal with the trauma of a horrible event (vagueness to ensure no spoilers!). She meets a girl named Meghan who she befriends and who in the end, she grows to love. This book dealt with so many different issues that were REAL, that anyone could be dealing with: self harm, a horrible event in your past, having feelings for a friend that run deeper than just friendship. For anyone out there who wants to read a book that deals with serious issues that anyone faces and that doesn’t have a white knight who rushes in and fixes everything, I recommend Scars. With twists and turns that will have you on the edge of your seat, it will be well worth the time. ( )
  CaitieM. | Dec 18, 2012 |
Someone is following me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193481332X, Hardcover)

Kendra, fifteen, hasn't felt safe since she began to recall devastating memories of childhood sexual abuse, especially because she still can't remember the most important detail-- her abuser's identity. Frightened, Kendra believes someone is always watching and following her, leaving menacing messages only she understands. If she lets her guard down even for a minute, it could cost Kendra her life. To relieve the pressure, Kendra cuts; aside from her brilliantly expressive artwork, it's her only way of coping. Since her own mother is too self-absorbed to hear her cries for help, Kendra finds support in others instead: from her therapist and her art teacher, from Sandy, the close family friend who encourages her artwork, and from Meghan, the classmate who's becoming a friend and maybe more. But the truth about Kendra's abuse is just waiting to explode, with startling unforeseen consequences. Scars is the unforgettable story of one girl's frightening path to the truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:02 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Kendra, a budding artist, has not felt safe since she began to recall devastating memories of childhood sexual abuse, especially since she cannot remember her abuser's identity, and she copes with the pressure by cutting herself.

93 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,668,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible