The Killing Moon by Rod Glenn

The Killing Moon

by Rod Glenn

The Killing Moon is a post apocalyptic hell of a story. Rough, gritty, violent and all together crazy. The world has gone mad and out into it are tossed 5 friends and their dog after the outside intrudes upon their home.

The story is fairly well written, decently put together and fast paced. The story pulled me in nicely, though it is a very rough story. Though the editing is an improvement over the issues with Rhone, there are a couple issues and I think the story could have used a bit of "tweaking" to cull a few dead ends and improve the flow. The ending I feel is the weakest part. Towards the 4/5th mark of the book everything had fallen apart for the 5 friends, but then a few surprising twists of fate puts things back together (to some extent).

Overall it's a pretty good read, it however is NOT for the weak of heart. It is gritty and at time disturbing with a lot of blood and guts tossed in for good measure. ( )
  joshmkii | Oct 14, 2012 |
The constant comparison's with Mad Max and The Stand are misleading: although both those are excellent portrayals of a post-apocalyptic world, they are hardly the only yardstick by which to judge this genre - as for The Road, it is too bleak and too uniquely American to bear comparison to The Killing Moon.

Rod Glenn's work has been in my To Be Acquired list for some years before I took the plunge and otrdered them through ABE Books, and I must admit my first reaction was one of disappointment because the theme was so enticing while the writing was pretty amateurish. Having said that though, I enjoyed this story immensely: it was fast-paced and exciting, and the gore and violence didn't bother me.
England is a comfortable setting for this genre: the island presents a smaller and more managable canvas than the vasteness of America and has been used to excellent effect by the great John Wyndham whose Day of the Triffids and The Cracken Wakes are surely the ultimate end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it novels.
I have to echo other critics and agree that the book needs serious editing and the prose is in need of a polish. The story iitself though is grand. ( )
  adpaton | Aug 28, 2012 |
I found The Killing Moon a compulsive read. I could not put it down - I found myself reading it on lunch breaks at work as well as at home and on the bus. The characters - especially the five friends - drew me right in. I felt every horror and every triumph as they felt it. It's also great to see a post-apocalyptic novel set in the UK. A well-deserved 5 out of 5 for me. ( )
5 vote SalSenna | Jan 27, 2011 |
I can confirm that the first batch of The Killing Moon did have editing issues. This has since been rectified with a thorough re-edit. The Early Reviewer Programme did unfortunately receive these first edition copies. On behalf of Wild Wolf, I'd like to apologise for this error. The corrected version is now available and all first edition copies have now been withdrawn from retail and distribution. ( )
5 vote | wildwolf | Oct 8, 2010 |
Here is another offering from Wild Wolf Publishing in the UK. Once I read Rhone (my review is posted for it) by John Karr, I was interested to get my paws on anything else put out by Wild Wolf.

6.5/10 ( )
1 vote WDBooks | Jun 25, 2010 |
The boys the novel centres around are a charming mix of battered, world-weary angst, fun-loving
immortals, and quietly introspective naïveté, and the perilous journey they make across post-cataclysmic Northern England is just the right mixture of suspense, humour, and characterization. The setting, like many of the characters, is gritty and hopeful at the same time. If you are a fan of Mad Max, or the recent video games Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2, you'll find this book enormously enjoyable.

In all, The Killing Moon is a fast-paced thrill ride with a pack of guys who could be anyone's best
friends.

added by wildwolf | editOrion's Child Magazine, Gabriel M Cole

As a series of cataclysmic events bring about the global collapse of civilisation, the few remaining survivors must fight for their survival in a world plunged back into the dark ages. A new generation grow up out of the ashes and, after their idyllic life is destroyed, five friends must leave their childhood home and embark on a perilous journey to a city gripped with gang violence and sectarian killings. Tragedy, lies and deceit mar their every step as they are cast into a dark and twisted world that is itself on the brink of destruction.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rod Glenn's book The Killing Moon was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,458,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible