The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

The Scorch Trials (2011)

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (2)

Really good. This book is like the trials of life on steroids. It made me feel better about my own life trials. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Solving the maze was supposed to be the end…loyalties will be tested, and you either make it or you die in The Scorch Trials. This is the second book of the Maze Runner series, and a great follow up. I liked the Maze Runner pretty well. So, I was excited to finally commit to finishing the series. However, there were some hiccups with the timeline plot and realistic reaches within it.

I will premise this by saying that I waited to read the whole series until after I was able to read The Kill Order, and maybe I shouldn’t have. With the mindset that the prequel book gave me, I already came into the first book with questions. To me, it seemed like a reach that it would only take 15 years to not only: establish a base, a company, a plan for repopulating the earth/saving humanity, cultivating the people to be experimented on, and even building such a massive structure as the maze itself along with the fiends who traipsed through its massive halls. It just seemed like a bit much. But, this was dystopia and so I went with it.

Then, I get to the Scorch Trials. I liked the change of setting from the ever-productive glade to the desert with nothing, not even a direct path. The trimming down of characters made the story gain focus. However, that left me to focus on Thomas as the prophetic one and his supporting cast. This highlighted for me the lack of character development. Up until this point I had been ok with not knowing really any of them because there were so many. And, I realized quickly to not get attached to characters. The beginning opened with great pace and a nice twist. Though it was slightly predictable, the interaction between WICKED and such was good. However, there were more twists that accumulated to more reach. It’s all a bit too much. I mean, how are they having time to keep tabs on all these kids, make changes to their brains, have use of technology even though the sun flares blasted everything, create atrocious things like flying blobs that burn and eat heads and people-like things with lightbulbs (?) on their heads?

I wanted desperately to love this book. I mean, it started with a maze, an amazing maze. And, I adore mazes (cue in memories of the atrocious but loveable Labyrinth from 1986 which is a favorite of mine). However, there were too many holes in the story and lack of character development. I personally find the Thomas and Teresa relationship terrible and forced. Even though I miss DeeDee. ( )
  jessica_reads | Apr 9, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book just as much as the first, The Maze Runner. The Scorch Trials picks up where The Maze Runner left off. The Gladers have escaped the Maze, but now they face an even more treacherous challenge on the open roads of a devastated planet.
Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to, but they would be free.
In the world outside the Maze the end was triggered long ago.
Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim . . . and meal.
The Gladers are far from finished with running; they are led to believe that they are infected with the Flare and that there is a cure, a safe haven across the Scorch. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them. They reach the so called safe haven, but WICKED WILL NOT LET FREEDOM COME EASY!!!.
Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
I am eager to read the Death Cure ( )
  rata | Mar 31, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a mysterious and adventurous read for a young adult. This is the continuation of James Dashner's first novel in the series, The Maze Runner. This book is told in first person by the main character, Thomas, like in the first book of the series. He seems to be the focus of the "trials" that are happening to he and the rest of the group of boys. Thomas knows that his actions will either help or hinder everyone on the planet who is sick with The Flare, so he feels he must always do the right thing and "play along" with what The Creators tell him to do. The language in this novel is very descriptive. We are told of the hot, desert-like setting where this story takes place. There is one town that Thomas and his group must travel through to get to the Safe Haven, but the town is filled with infected people who are slowly become more and more sick. The infected people seem to be like zombies that become more angry and chaotic as they continue to get more sick. The writing in this novel is very engaging and the action keeps the reader eager to hear what happens next. Even when I had other things I needed to do, I had trouble putting this book down. Characters betray other characters, "sick" people end up helping out our main group, and the creators continue to do surprising and unexpected things. The suspenseful and action-filled plot keeps readers eager to continue reading to find out if Thomas and the group of boys ever make it to safety, whether or not he disease is ever cured, or how this disease became so wide-spread.
The big idea of this story is that a group is always stronger than working alone, as Thomas found out when he was captured by people infected with The Flare until his group came to rescue him. Another big message of this book is trust. Thomas is trusting that The Creators will really be able to cure everyone if he continues on with the trials. Thomas also must trust Theresa when she promises he will be safe, but The Creators instructed her to betray him. ( )
  kwhite18 | Mar 22, 2015 |
The Scorch Trials is about the second test that W.I.C.K.E.D. has made for group A and group B. Thomas and Teresa are in group A. Then there is a group B is made up of all girls but Aris. Aris is the only boy in group B like Teresa is the only girl in group A. When group A wakes up they find all the staff dead and hanging on the ceiling. Then they find Aris. After group A escapes the building they travel for days. After a lot of traveling, Teresa is talking to Thomas telepathically. Teresa tells Thomas that there is a town up ahead and that she is there. Thomas and his group find the town but not Teresa. Thomas gets some help in the town from Brenda and Jorge. Brenda and Jorge are cranks or people that are infected with the flare. When Thomas meets up with Teresa he is nearly killed by Teresa's new "friends." In the end Teresa and Thomas are back to together and then separated as usual.
I really like the book because it was very descriptive and had amazing imagery. I loved that with every turn I felt like I was right there with Thomas. When Thomas was attacked by the cranks I wanted to know what happened next. I think the book is like a trap where you can't put the book down. Some of the parts are weird like how Teresa and Aris can speak to each other with telepathy but Thomas can't use his telepathy to talk to Aris nor Teresa.I love the book and think it is a little wicked. Wicked is good. ( )
  JordanN.G1 | Mar 18, 2015 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,867,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible