The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

The Scorch Trials (2011)

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (2)

English (158)  Spanish (1)  All languages (159)
If The Scorch Trials was supposed to answer some questions: James Dashner, you have failed.

Rather than being helpful to the overall plot of the trilogy, this sequel acted more like an unnecessary and confusing extension to The Maze Runner (which, in my opinion, had already been confusing enough). Explanations for everything having to do with WICKED (when, where, why, and how?) apparently weren't important enough for James Dasher to include - at least not as important as Thomas's ridiculous love problems.

Love is in the air:
Remember Mother Teresa from The Maze Runner? It's unfortunate to announce that she is still as useless and non-beneficial to the plot and Thomas as a whole. In her absence through half of the book, a new love interest is introduced, Brenda (oh, spare me). You see, both girls are so beautiful and so into Thomas (did I mention so useless too?). All Thomas could think about while his ass was in danger was his need for Teresa and his oh-so-wrongful attraction to Brenda. Oh, Thomas. Poor Thomas.

Aside from the love triangle and the fact that this book acted like a filler, it was still quite entertaining because (and only because) of the other characters. The understanding, calm, and rational Newt is still my favorite character, alongside Minho who gave me a reason to keep reading and encouraged my three star rating. And although it is still infuriating to not know what the heck is going on, Minho, Newt, and my need for answers is my only motivator to read the last book.

I need to know, dang it. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Brilliant sequel! I enjoyed this as much if not more so than The Maze Runner. Pieces of the mystery are coming into place but only leaving more questions behind as Thomas wakes up the morning after figuring out the maze and being saved to another trial ahead. The Gladers take another stab at securing their lives by heading out across the Scorch (a relentlessly hot and burning desert land). The Scorch has many difficulties, the main one being the Cranks who live there. The Cranks are sickened by a disease they call the Flare, left there to die as the disease makes them go mad and waste away. It is a fast paced adventure that keeps you turning pages until the end.
It is fantastic and ends with even more questions to be answered in the last installment of this thrilling trilogy. Definitely reminiscent of The Hunger Games but with it's own set of rules, players and game makers. I wait with baited breath for The Death Cure (tentatively titled). ( )
  jaimelee77 | Jul 7, 2015 |
Twists and turns. This book will keep you guessing what will happen next! ( )
  iamryancorcoran | May 26, 2015 |
Wow...just wow...

This book left me both exhilarated and exhausted. Twist after twist, after twist! And they just kept on coming! If you are looking for a fast paced read that does not relent then this is it! However, if you have not read the first book you might want to stop reading this review and go read the first book of the series first. This will be here when you get back.

So this book picks up right where the first book ends. Thomas wakes up to screaming and terror and things change and are being flipped around on him every few minutes. Chaos reigns! Even my head was spinning trying to rationalize what is going on. They think they are rescued but the truth is anything but. If you thought they were lab rats in the Maze before, it only gets worse.

I really can't say much on the details without taking away from the suspense of it all. Everything changes here. Friends and enemies blur, the truth is unknown. All they know is that WICKED is not done with them. One part stuck with me through the entire book and that is when the boys are told to not trust what they see but to also not trust what the don't see. As a reader it had me second guessing a lot. Made for a very entertaining read.

What I didn't care for is I have no idea where the author is going with this. So many questions and NO answers. Just more questions. It worries me if the answer in the last book will suffice. Will in make sense. These trials are strange and don't seem to make sense for supposedly trying to save the world.So that concerns me all throughout the book. A large part of the story seemed to be created o a whim without flow. It makes me wonder if the writer had an endgame when writing this or just making it up as he went along. I guess I will find out in the third book.

For lots of action, adventure and some serious twists and mental roller coaster rides, check this out! I am very eager to read the third book right now! ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
The Maze Runner had me hooked from the beginning and The Scorch Trials kept that going. This one was non-stop action and even more of the mysteries of the world they live in are revealed.

The Gladers have been told that their trials are over now, but in reality, they are just beginning. There is no more Maze, but then they are thrown out into the post-apocalyptic, scorched world with a miimum of resources and told to cross the Scorch. They are made promises if they make it successfully across within the alloted time. And then the obstacles begin, different from the Maze, but just as serious and often horrifying.

This air of mystery is something I love about these books. Secrets are revealed, but never very many at the time. But instead of being frustrating, it amps up the anticipation. WICKED, its people and its motives, is still a blur outside of their immediate circumstances and it leaves a lot of room for the imagination.

There are a lot of new characters in this book and, even though I have finished the novel, I am still not sure how I feel about some of them. In this series, where what is good seems bad and what is bad may have a positive purpose, it is sometimes hard to neatly categorize the characters into simple "good" and "bad" groups. But I like this because there is a lot of gray in humanity.

There were some harsh lessons to be learned in this novel, especially that of betrayal and trust. From moment to moment, it is difficult to determine what is real and what isn't. Who is sincere and who isn't. This is not exactly conducive to building a trustful environment. And once again, we are left with almost as many questions as we got answers.

My Recommendation: The mystery behind the story is what builds the anticipation for me. While generally, I gravitate towards more character-driven stories, this one is very much plot-driven and I truly love it. ( )
  Kiki870 | May 5, 2015 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,418,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible