The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

The Scorch Trials (2011)

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (2)

2011 (14) 2012 (12) 2013 (15) action (15) adventure (58) audiobook (9) betrayal (14) dystopia (96) dystopian (58) ebook (21) experiments (16) fantasy (35) fiction (91) friendship (14) james dashner (12) library (10) Maze Runner (30) mystery (13) post-apocalyptic (44) read (11) read in 2012 (9) science fiction (145) series (48) survival (66) teen (31) telepathy (12) to-read (61) YA (77) young adult (98) young adult fiction (14)

Will hold your attention in the short run, but you will ultimately find it lacking. Plot is entertaining but characters are underdeveloped. Read if you liked the first but honestly I would save your money. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Originally posted at Read. Run. Study.

While I wasn’t dying to continue the trilogy, I was curious to see how things unfolded, so I picked up The Scorch Trials from the library. As with The Maze Runner, this was a fast-paced read that easily held my attention. Dashner continued to do a great job keeping the characters and the reader guessing, particularly when it came to who could and could not be trusted. As with the first book, some of the twists were predictable, but I got caught up in the story anyway.

The Scorch Trials was still very plot-driven, but I did find myself becoming more attached to the characters. I particularly felt for Thomas at several key points, though his character still frustrated me a little. I think the most frustrating aspect to Thomas’s character is the frequency with which Thomas seemed to conveniently forget vital information until it was too late. And if I wasn’t afraid of spoiling the story, there would be a lot more to say, but I think I’ll leave it there.

Overall, I think The Scorch Trials was a good sequel, and I really liked the story even if some events frustrated me. It left me ready to finish the trilogy. There are still a lot of questions Dashner left unanswered, and there is a lot I still want to know about the world.

Rating: 4/5 ( )
  readrunstudy | Jun 21, 2014 |
I had such high hopes for this book. I really wanted to learn more about the characters, and be able to connect with them, but instead, I was left completely disappointed. The thing I saw most was the back of Thomas's eyelids? I understand that in a desert wasteland you would need to rest, save your energy, but REALLY!? This guy has been knocked out, blacked out, and just simply fell asleep WAY too much in this book. I am still interested to see where the story, and characters go, but it won't keep me up at night, and that's just too bad :( ( )
  katemiller1724 | Jun 20, 2014 |
Ok Ok I really loved and enjoyed The Scorch Trails but I don't now how I am going to write this review with out spoiling it for anybody, but I will try. The Scorch Trails start out were the first book left off. Thomas was sleeping when he was startled when Teresa was speaking to him telepathy and he new something was wrong because she tried to warn him that something was wrong than all a sudden there communication was cut off and he felt when she left him it was like something that was a part of him was removed. Thomas tried to wake up but he just stay in a deep sleep and thought that it was all a dream. When he finally start to wake up when he heard noises and saw shadows moving in the room that he was in with his friends he now something was not right when he open his eyes his friends were running around in the room like crazy when he realized why there were running around like that, because of the alarm that was going off and because of the cranks who were trying to get into the building to get to the boys to eat them cranks are just like zombies except there are not dead there are people that have the flare disease that makes them totally crazy. Thomas tried to call out to Teresa but felt nothing that's when he started to get really worried and when the alarm finally turn off and Thomas and his friends found a way out of there locked room and went outside of there room that's where everything changes for them and they new that they were not really safe from WICKED and that WICKED were not done with Thomas and his friends, and here's is were I am going to leave off because I don't want to spoil it for anybody but I will say Thomas and his friends do go through another Trail which is The Scorch Trail and Thomas finds and helps new friends on the why through The Scorch Trail. I am so glad and happy I went into this trilogy blinding that I am going to start to do that with other series. I really did loved and enjoyed this book that I can't wait to read The Death Cure next! Until Next Time My Friends! ( )
  Katiria_Rodriguez | Jun 18, 2014 |
Thomas and company are out of the Maze, and everything seems to change -- but Wicked is still in control. Unfortunately, this second book in the series is not an enthralling or well-paced as the first, and thus didn't hold my attention as well. ( )
  amandacb | May 14, 2014 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,220,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible