The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

The Scorch Trials (2011)

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (2)

Just as good the second time around!!! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
So, if you thought that the Maze was twisted, this is totally going to mess with your head. Now, our characters that we have come to know and love are dumped into a baron, burned out wasteland and told they have only 2 weeks to get to the next phase of things. Can they survive? Will they make it in time? And who and how many will be left by the time they get there if they do? These are all questions that burned through my mind as I read the first couple of pages of this novel.

James Dashner is a gifted storyteller who really knows how to get into the mind of the reader. I have seen several other reviews say that the age range for this novel is 12 ...I am well beyond the age of 12, and still I felt sucked in by the many twists and turns that this novel took. There is so much mystery and intrigue. There is a hint of romance, a lot of suspense and some all around sucky situations that the characters have to make the best of. I felt myself sucked into the angst the characters felt, felt Thomas' anger well within me as I read.

It is really hard for me to give my honest opinion on this one without giving too much away. You really have to read it. Then you have to come back here and tell me what you think. This is one of the books that screams to be discussed. So, go check out your local library or click on one of the links here to get your own copy. Then come back and talk to me about it. I would love to hear what everyone else has to think. Have you read this series yet(and if you have, do not tell me what happens in Death Cure or Kill order, I haven't read those yet)?

I am reading Death Cure now, although I started Kill Order first. I saw that Death Cure was actually printed first, so decided I better read that one first. Check out my review of The Maze Runner. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
The Scorch Trials was the sequel to the first book in the series, the maze runner. This book focused on the events after the gladers escaped the maze. The first book ended in a large cliffhanger which made this book a good choice to read next, although it did not answer many questions readers could have had from the ending to the first book.
I was disappointed with this book as it was not nearly as good as the first book of the series. This book did not get interesting or compelling until the very end which made it a hard book to read and stay interested in. I did continue to read to see if the plot would pick up, which it did at the very end, but not as much as I would have liked. I will not continue reading the rest of this series as this book has ruined it for me. ( )
  DeCoBr14 | Feb 25, 2015 |
Ugh this book was sooooo hard to get through. It was boring with a few exceptions. I just was hoping for so much more. The first book was so good. I just hope that the next is better. ( )
  lululovebaby | Feb 25, 2015 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,798,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible