The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2) by…

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2) (edition 2011)

by James Dashner (Author)

Member:kjanesh
Title:The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2)
Authors:James Dashner (Author)
Info:Delacorte Press (2011), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages
Collections:Campus ESL Classroom

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

English (246)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (250)
Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.

There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.
  JESGalway | Feb 4, 2019 |
Oh my this was complete crap. At least the first book was enjoyable.

I don't really have too much to say other than that the movie is completely different but way better in every way. An ideal example of this is Brenda's character. In the movie, she is an actual person and I quite liked her, in the book, she's ridiculous and instalovey, with extreme moments of inappropriate for the situation and uncalled for "sexual tension" with Thomas. She doesn't feel like an actual human being in any way.

The plot, besides all that, is nonsensical and confusing. I don't understand WICKED's plan whatsoever. There's a lot of "what" that makes no sense but even more confusing is the "why". This doesn't feel realistic at all. It would make more sense if WICKED was just a psycho cult torturing the Gladers just for kicks and giggles.

And why on Earth do all the cranks introduce themselves as cranks? Wtf? It's just so comical and stupid. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
I was maybe 10% into this book, and was having a conversation with a teenager about this series and my problems with it, when I had a realization: I don't trust the author.
When an author's setting up a big reveal, there need to be enough clues about what's happening to keep the reader from giving up before the reveal is shown. We the readers need to twist that the author knows what they're doing, that the payoff's gonna be worth the trouble. And that's where this whole series fails. There's no sense of, well, of sense. Dashner keeps saying, "Trust me, I know what I'm doing. Just trust me, trust me. It'll all make sense." But two books in, and it's all still "Trust me! You don't understand, but you will!" The cards are too close to your chest, Dashner. I'm not willing to suspend disbelief this long. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
Well, I am proud to say I did not once buy that shit with Teresa hating him. It just wasn't believable. It didn't work, and I did not buy, no matter how hard DAshner tried to sell it.

I LOVE Brenda. She is the coolest.

Other than that, I have only one last comment:
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!!!!! ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
From Booklist
The exercise in withholding information begun in The Maze Runner (2009) continues. The boys who had their memories wiped before being dropped into a massive maze have escaped, but they now have to trek across a sunflare-blasted wasteland to get the cure to the insanity disease they’ve been infected with. The wickedly violent action and rush to figure out what’s actually going on help distract from a number of gaping plot holes. Fans will want this one, too, but know that Dashner still has an awful lot of explaining to do in the upcoming finale. Grades 9-12. --Ian Chipman ( )
  fifthelecoach | Oct 20, 2018 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,226,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible