The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2)…

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2) (Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 2) (original 2011; edition 2010)

by James Dashner

3,4241921,577 (3.75)112
Member:robertbdouglas
Title:The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2) (Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 2)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:**1/2

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (2011)

English (188)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (190)
I liked this book, though it still leaves a lot of questions unanswered, and I think I'm fated to dislike all the female characters in this series because I continue to hate Teresa, whatever her motivations, and I never really warmed up to Brenda. The other girls from Group B weren't really in enough of the book for me to form an opinion.

However, I continue to love the hell out of Minho. And Newt is a calm in a storm of chaos. Too bad for a bulk of this book Thomas separated from the rest of his group...

Still, I'm interested enough to see how it all ends... ( )
  saohicwitch | Apr 21, 2016 |
Another great book, but I'm still SO confused. Even having read The Kill Order, I'm trying to figure out why...why all the trials? Why the variables and patterns...what could this possibly have to do with a cure. One thing is for certain, Dashner has ensured the continued reading of these books! I just HAVE to know! I'm already eager to start book 3. I hope that Thomas can learn to forgive Teresa, even if they can't find that friendship they had before. I hope that she doesn't turn out to be bad. I hope that he finds Brenda again and the beginnings of whatever friendship there might have been there. And I hope and pray that he (and we) finally get some concrete answers as to what on Earth is going on! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Not quite as compelling as the first book, this felt like more of the same. I knew what to expect from the trials even if the exact "variables" were unknown to me. Still, I can't wait to get into the third book. It had better offer up some good answers! ( )
  seph | Apr 1, 2016 |
I think this book might have been written using some sort of magic spell. Here are the things I didn't particularly like about this book: the actual plot events, the inner monologue of main character, the inchoate love triangle, the made-up slang, the overall style of writing.

What's left? Good question. I can't identify anything that I did particularly like about the book... and yet I really, really wanted to keep reading. Almost an "I couldn't put it down" feeling. Which is bizarre, because... why do I so badly want to know what happens in a book that I don't particularly like?

Obviously, there's magic involved here. My will is not my own. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
A good sequel to Maze Runner. I can't believe I have to wait another year for the third book in this series. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,263,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible