The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2)…

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2) (Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 2) (original 2011; edition 2010)

by James Dashner

Member:robertbdouglas
Title:The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2) (Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 2)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:**1/2

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (2011)

Twists and turns. This book will keep you guessing what will happen next! ( )
  iamryancorcoran | May 26, 2015 |
Wow...just wow...

This book left me both exhilarated and exhausted. Twist after twist, after twist! And they just kept on coming! If you are looking for a fast paced read that does not relent then this is it! However, if you have not read the first book you might want to stop reading this review and go read the first book of the series first. This will be here when you get back.

So this book picks up right where the first book ends. Thomas wakes up to screaming and terror and things change and are being flipped around on him every few minutes. Chaos reigns! Even my head was spinning trying to rationalize what is going on. They think they are rescued but the truth is anything but. If you thought they were lab rats in the Maze before, it only gets worse.

I really can't say much on the details without taking away from the suspense of it all. Everything changes here. Friends and enemies blur, the truth is unknown. All they know is that WICKED is not done with them. One part stuck with me through the entire book and that is when the boys are told to not trust what they see but to also not trust what the don't see. As a reader it had me second guessing a lot. Made for a very entertaining read.

What I didn't care for is I have no idea where the author is going with this. So many questions and NO answers. Just more questions. It worries me if the answer in the last book will suffice. Will in make sense. These trials are strange and don't seem to make sense for supposedly trying to save the world.So that concerns me all throughout the book. A large part of the story seemed to be created o a whim without flow. It makes me wonder if the writer had an endgame when writing this or just making it up as he went along. I guess I will find out in the third book.

For lots of action, adventure and some serious twists and mental roller coaster rides, check this out! I am very eager to read the third book right now! ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
The Maze Runner had me hooked from the beginning and The Scorch Trials kept that going. This one was non-stop action and even more of the mysteries of the world they live in are revealed.

The Gladers have been told that their trials are over now, but in reality, they are just beginning. There is no more Maze, but then they are thrown out into the post-apocalyptic, scorched world with a miimum of resources and told to cross the Scorch. They are made promises if they make it successfully across within the alloted time. And then the obstacles begin, different from the Maze, but just as serious and often horrifying.

This air of mystery is something I love about these books. Secrets are revealed, but never very many at the time. But instead of being frustrating, it amps up the anticipation. WICKED, its people and its motives, is still a blur outside of their immediate circumstances and it leaves a lot of room for the imagination.

There are a lot of new characters in this book and, even though I have finished the novel, I am still not sure how I feel about some of them. In this series, where what is good seems bad and what is bad may have a positive purpose, it is sometimes hard to neatly categorize the characters into simple "good" and "bad" groups. But I like this because there is a lot of gray in humanity.

There were some harsh lessons to be learned in this novel, especially that of betrayal and trust. From moment to moment, it is difficult to determine what is real and what isn't. Who is sincere and who isn't. This is not exactly conducive to building a trustful environment. And once again, we are left with almost as many questions as we got answers.

My Recommendation: The mystery behind the story is what builds the anticipation for me. While generally, I gravitate towards more character-driven stories, this one is very much plot-driven and I truly love it. ( )
  Kiki870 | May 5, 2015 |
Really good. This book is like the trials of life on steroids. It made me feel better about my own life trials. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Solving the maze was supposed to be the end…loyalties will be tested, and you either make it or you die in The Scorch Trials. This is the second book of the Maze Runner series, and a great follow up. I liked the Maze Runner pretty well. So, I was excited to finally commit to finishing the series. However, there were some hiccups with the timeline plot and realistic reaches within it.

I will premise this by saying that I waited to read the whole series until after I was able to read The Kill Order, and maybe I shouldn’t have. With the mindset that the prequel book gave me, I already came into the first book with questions. To me, it seemed like a reach that it would only take 15 years to not only: establish a base, a company, a plan for repopulating the earth/saving humanity, cultivating the people to be experimented on, and even building such a massive structure as the maze itself along with the fiends who traipsed through its massive halls. It just seemed like a bit much. But, this was dystopia and so I went with it.

Then, I get to the Scorch Trials. I liked the change of setting from the ever-productive glade to the desert with nothing, not even a direct path. The trimming down of characters made the story gain focus. However, that left me to focus on Thomas as the prophetic one and his supporting cast. This highlighted for me the lack of character development. Up until this point I had been ok with not knowing really any of them because there were so many. And, I realized quickly to not get attached to characters. The beginning opened with great pace and a nice twist. Though it was slightly predictable, the interaction between WICKED and such was good. However, there were more twists that accumulated to more reach. It’s all a bit too much. I mean, how are they having time to keep tabs on all these kids, make changes to their brains, have use of technology even though the sun flares blasted everything, create atrocious things like flying blobs that burn and eat heads and people-like things with lightbulbs (?) on their heads?

I wanted desperately to love this book. I mean, it started with a maze, an amazing maze. And, I adore mazes (cue in memories of the atrocious but loveable Labyrinth from 1986 which is a favorite of mine). However, there were too many holes in the story and lack of character development. I personally find the Thomas and Teresa relationship terrible and forced. Even though I miss DeeDee. ( )
  jessica_reads | Apr 9, 2015 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,312,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible