HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2)…
Loading...

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2) (Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 2) (original 2011; edition 2010)

by James Dashner

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
3,5551941,487 (3.75)116
Member:robertbdouglas
Title:The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2) (Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 2)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:**1/2
Tags:None

Work details

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (2011)

Recently added byPaolovdM, cdemi12, Lolokalikala, private library, jodiesohl, Cargm, amtydings, PriPri77, DobbyHasWings
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 116 mentions

English (191)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (193)
Showing 1-5 of 191 (next | show all)
This was so good. One question after another. So many twists and turns. Just the idea that you might learn the truth in the next chapter keeps you reading. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
Plot: I liked this book much more than I thought I would. What drew me to reading The Maze Runner was the maze, so I thought that I wouldn't enjoy this book as much as the first one. However, I'm glad that I continued reading this series. The plot was ok, but the made up curses were a bit too much. Maybe it's because I read the first one in English, so I didn't notice them so much, but they are completely ridiculous in Spanish. I guess that this language is supposed to add a certain idea of belonging to a group, but it didn't really work. All those invented words looked silly.

The mystery is the best part of this story. The big question is not just whether WICKED is good or evil. As soon as the plot of this book starts to develop, you start asking the same question about one of the characters. The greatest thing is that this book was not very predictable. Nothing is what it seems to be. Even though it's faster than the first book, this does not affect the mystery as it is always in the background.

Characters: We are introduced to a few new characters. They are mostly supporting characters, but some become more important throughout the book. The love story between Thomas and Theresa continues to develop, but becomes a bit exaggerated due to Theresa's subplot. Unfortunately, one of the new characters, Brenda, gets involved in the romance. It is presented more as insta-attraction rather than insta-love, but the general idea of love at first sight (especially from Brenda's point of view) is still there.

Series: It is the second book in The Maze Runner series. A really good second volume that doesn't disappoint. This is not a series that can be read as three stand-alone books.

Other: As I know how the last book ends, I don't know if I would recommend finishing the series. However, if I had written the full review after I had finished The Scorch Trials, I would have suggested reading on.

------------------------------------------------

Argumento: Este libro me gustó mucho más de lo que creí que me iba a gustar. Lo que me llevó a leer El corredor del laberinto fue el laberinto, así que pensé que éste no me iba a gustar tanto como el primero. Sin embargo, me alegro de haber continuado leyendo esta serie. El argumento estuvo bien, pero los tacos inventados fueron demasiado. Puede que sea porque leí el primero en inglés, así que no lo noté tanto, pero son completamente absurdos en español. Supongo que este lenguaje añade una cierta idea de pertenencia a un grupo, pero no funcionó mucho. Todas esas palabras inventadas parecían una tontería.

El misterio es la mejor parte de esta historia. La pregunta principal no es sólo si CRUEL es buena o mala. Tan pronto como el argumento de este libro empieza a desarrollarse, empiezas a hacerte la misma pregunta sobre uno de los personajes. Lo mejor es que este libro no es demasiado predecible. Nada es lo que parece. Aunque la acción es más rápida que la del primer libro, no afecta al misterio, dado que siempre está latente.

Personajes: Se nos presenta a unos cuantos personajes nuevos. La mayoría son secundarios, pero algunos se vuelven más importantes a lo largo del libro. La historia de amor entre Thomas y Teresa sigue desarrollándose, pero se convierte en algo un poco exagerado, debido al subargumento de Teresa. Desgraciadamente, uno de los personajes nuevos, Brenda, se mente en el romance. Se presenta más como atracción instantánea que como insta-love, pero la idea general del amor a primera vista (especialmente desde el punto de vista de Teresa) sigue ahí.

Serie: Es el segundo libro de la serie El corredor del laberinto. Un muy buen segundo volumen que no decepciona. Ésta no es una serie que se pueda leer como tres novelas autoconclusivas.

Otros: Dado que sé cómo acaba el último libro, no sé si recomendaría terminar la serie. Sin embargo, si hubiera escrito la reseña completa cuando terminé Las pruebas, sí hubiera sugerido seguir leyendo la serie. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
Whoa! I'm seriously impressed! This series is original, clever, mystifying and engrossing. The characters are intriguing and complex and the edge-of-the seat action ensures that this book grabs you by the throat and refuses to let go until the final page. No, I lie, BEYOND the final page. I can't wait to read the final installment! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
As the amazing sequel to maze runner comes.
As Thomas and his friends are saved from W.I.C.K.E.D. they find themselves in a building.
They discover that the people who are housing them are W.I.C.K.E.D. scientists!
So they run into the scourged land in attempt to escape them!
They thought they escaped, they didn't. ( )
  MarG.B3 | May 30, 2016 |
2.5 stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

There's something weird with me and The Maze Runner series. Last year I read and reviewed the first book in the series and was actually quite disappointed. But since I knew the movie was coming, I went to see it and enjoyed it a lot more than I had the book. So, after seeing the movie I felt like 'I must read the second book RIGHT NOW'. Okay, it took some months but here I was again, now really looking forward to The Scorch Trials and that's when something weird happened...

Because having all these boys run around a maze in an arena gets boring after a while, in this book they will be running around a desert, just to keep things fresh and original. To say more would spoil things.

I started and it was exactly the same as with the first book. I was underwhelmed to say the least. Even though the story starts immediately and there is a fast succession of action scenes I felt nothing like I felt watching the first movie. And that's when it dawned on me. I just can't stand Thomas. Little, whiny (o so perfect but man he gets into a lot of problems) Thomas. I couldn't stand just how often the book is trying to tell just how special a snowflake he is. I couldn't stand the girl either. (This is indeed less in the movie, because then at least I'm not in his stupid head). And last but not least, the betrayal-plot line was ridiculous. Plain ridiculous. I laughed out loud, I don't think that was supposed to happen.

Anyway, the movie should hit the theatre soon and I'm really looking forward to it! (It might just give me the courage to read the third book).

The Scorch Trials is the sequel to The Maze Runner. The third book is The Death Cure. The Kill Order is a prequel, another prequel (The Fever Code) is planned for 2016. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 191 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Alternative titles
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
First words
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
Quotations
Last words
Disambiguation notice
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
Haiku summary
The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

No descriptions found.

(see all 2 descriptions)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 3 descriptions

LibraryThing Author

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

profile page | author page

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
6 avail.
740 wanted
7 pay10 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.75)
0.5 2
1 6
1.5 3
2 87
2.5 17
3 280
3.5 77
4 381
4.5 34
5 249

Audible.com

2 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,772,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible