The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2) by…

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2) (edition 2011)

by James Dashner

Member:amz310783
Title:The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Ember (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

English (209)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (212)
There are some books or series that are so annoying that I read them just to see if they would ever make sense or redeem themselves. David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest and David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas come to mind as stuff masqueraded and purported as more than junk, and finishing them took monumental will power. Then there are the books or series that I can't force myself to finish because they are so not worth finishing...I gave William Gibson's Neuromancer and Veronica Roth's Divergent (I read the first, but stopped there) series a valiant effort, but they failed early and often and I decided life was too short for inanity or silliness.

I'm wondering if the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42 mean anything to Dashner. Sure seems that way. Still, I checked...he doesn't have a writing credit for "Lost". I find most middle books in trilogies are fillers...and like the middle seasons two through five in "Lost", Dashner seems to delight in teasing extremely obscure references while combining disambiguated twists in his weird arc.

After two of these YA messes, I admit I am curious to see if the train wreck has any resolution, and if it makes sense...AND if there is continuity with the revealed snippets from the predecessors. The nonsense slang is still present...though not as much but just as annoying. I expect Dashner felt real vulgarities would not be received well. And yet, graphic violence is okay. Go figure. George Carlin nailed it. Violence is okay, but words are not. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
This is the second book of the three book series. The first book has better story line, the plot of this book is not very convincing. ( )
  Baochuan | Apr 7, 2017 |
Like most sequels that are part of a longer series, it feels like a tent pole. And not a good one :( ( )
  kallai7 | Mar 23, 2017 |
Teresa was gone. She wasn't in her room. Thomas and the Gladers waited. Then they heard a toilet flush. Coming out of the bathroom was not Teresa but a boy named Aris, from group B. Group B was a group of girls instead of boys. Like Teresa she was the only girl, Aris was the only boy. Apparently Group B escaped the maze three days before Group A (the Gladers) and less people got killed. The next day the Gladers woke up and a man, who looked like a rat was behind an invisible wall. He explained almost everything, then he said to continue the "Trials" the must go through a Flat Trans. The Flat Trans teleported them out into the real world. Thomas and the rest of the Glader crew climbed out of a tunnel from the Flat Trans. They walked for miles northward to the so called "safe Haven". Then they found a city not the Safe Haven, and met two important people Jorge and Brenda they weren't friendly at first. Thomas told Jorge what they were doing and how they were in the Glade and W.I.C.K.E.D and The "Safe Haven". Jorge and Brenda decided to help the Gladers as long as they could go to the Safe Haven too. They went into a group of tunnels called the "underground" and snacked on canned beans and bottled water. Suddenly the tunnel exploded and everyone ran and split up! Eventually they grouped back up to continue their adventure. Thomas got captured by Group B after Group A got surrounded, threatened by bows and arrows. Thomas was dragged out into the mountains, and Group B kept on walking with him. Group A continued to walk North, through the mountains. Group B abducted Thomas to slow Group A down, so they could get to the Safe Haven first. Group B made it to the Safe Haven, it was just an empty field of grass. Group A showed up an hour later. Each of the groups were with each other waiting, nothing was happening. They knew they were at least 50 miles North like Rat Man said the Safe Haven was. Then all of a sudden huge black metal cube rose out of the ground. The cubes did nothing, the Gladers and Group B waited. Then the giant boxes fell open and huge blobs of slime and metal came out of each one, they look like mutated Grievers from the Maze. Every person ganged up on their own blob and then a huge lightning storm started. Several girls were killed but not as many Gladers, Thomas, Minho, Brenda and Jorge hid in one of the cubes from the lightning. Several other people did too, Then a huge flash oh lightning came down and electrified the ground. All the blobs died and a big plane came down. The plane was from W.I.C.K.E.D, every Glader and girl were evacuated from the barren land and put in the plane, at least the living ones.

THE MAZE RUNNER SERIES IS PHENOMENAL! I recommend this series to all teens and preteens. The Maze Runner Series is an action, sometimes a mystery, an adventure, and sometimes a scary or love novel. The Maze Runner books have a fairly high Lexile and reading score. The Maze Runner series is fun to read and never gets boring. Its probably one of the best fiction books I've ever read. ( )
  MaxE.bg3 | Feb 16, 2017 |
It took me and my son a long time to finish this book because we didn't have a lot of drive time over the past few months but we both agreed that we liked the sequel better than the first book - and we liked the first one. We'll continue on with the third. ( )
  amcheri | Jan 19, 2017 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,417,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible