The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2) by…

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by James Dashner

3,4851971,523 (3.75)116
Member:amz310783
Title:The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Ember (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (2011)

English (189)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (192)
Whoa! I'm seriously impressed! This series is original, clever, mystifying and engrossing. The characters are intriguing and complex and the edge-of-the seat action ensures that this book grabs you by the throat and refuses to let go until the final page. No, I lie, BEYOND the final page. I can't wait to read the final installment! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
As the amazing sequel to maze runner comes.
As Thomas and his friends are saved from W.I.C.K.E.D. they find themselves in a building.
They discover that the people who are housing them are W.I.C.K.E.D. scientists!
So they run into the scourged land in attempt to escape them!
They thought they escaped, they didn't. ( )
  MarG.B3 | May 30, 2016 |
2.5 stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

There's something weird with me and The Maze Runner series. Last year I read and reviewed the first book in the series and was actually quite disappointed. But since I knew the movie was coming, I went to see it and enjoyed it a lot more than I had the book. So, after seeing the movie I felt like 'I must read the second book RIGHT NOW'. Okay, it took some months but here I was again, now really looking forward to The Scorch Trials and that's when something weird happened...

Because having all these boys run around a maze in an arena gets boring after a while, in this book they will be running around a desert, just to keep things fresh and original. To say more would spoil things.

I started and it was exactly the same as with the first book. I was underwhelmed to say the least. Even though the story starts immediately and there is a fast succession of action scenes I felt nothing like I felt watching the first movie. And that's when it dawned on me. I just can't stand Thomas. Little, whiny (o so perfect but man he gets into a lot of problems) Thomas. I couldn't stand just how often the book is trying to tell just how special a snowflake he is. I couldn't stand the girl either. (This is indeed less in the movie, because then at least I'm not in his stupid head). And last but not least, the betrayal-plot line was ridiculous. Plain ridiculous. I laughed out loud, I don't think that was supposed to happen.

Anyway, the movie should hit the theatre soon and I'm really looking forward to it! (It might just give me the courage to read the third book).

The Scorch Trials is the sequel to The Maze Runner. The third book is The Death Cure. The Kill Order is a prequel, another prequel (The Fever Code) is planned for 2016. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I liked this book, though it still leaves a lot of questions unanswered, and I think I'm fated to dislike all the female characters in this series because I continue to hate Teresa, whatever her motivations, and I never really warmed up to Brenda. The other girls from Group B weren't really in enough of the book for me to form an opinion.

However, I continue to love the hell out of Minho. And Newt is a calm in a storm of chaos. Too bad for a bulk of this book Thomas separated from the rest of his group...

Still, I'm interested enough to see how it all ends... ( )
  saohicwitch | Apr 21, 2016 |
Another great book, but I'm still SO confused. Even having read The Kill Order, I'm trying to figure out why...why all the trials? Why the variables and patterns...what could this possibly have to do with a cure. One thing is for certain, Dashner has ensured the continued reading of these books! I just HAVE to know! I'm already eager to start book 3. I hope that Thomas can learn to forgive Teresa, even if they can't find that friendship they had before. I hope that she doesn't turn out to be bad. I hope that he finds Brenda again and the beginnings of whatever friendship there might have been there. And I hope and pray that he (and we) finally get some concrete answers as to what on Earth is going on! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,995,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible