The Maze Runner 2 : Scorch Trials by James…

The Maze Runner 2 : Scorch Trials (original 2011; edition 2011)

by James Dashner

Member:andrafry
Title:The Maze Runner 2 : Scorch Trials
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Chicken House (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Borrowed
Tags:Fiction

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (2011)

English (161)  Spanish (1)  All languages (162)
I think this one was better than the first. Thomas was much less of a pain, though the number of developed characters in the group is still very limited. Teresa and Thomas's interactions were a bit confusing and sometimes hard to believe. Also, why the hell does everyone love Thomas so much? Except for Gally in the last book, everyone likes/respects him really quickly. It doesn't interfere with the storytelling its just something that irritated me a little. I enjoyed reading it a lot and plan to read the next one and the prequel. ( )
  AdorablyBookish | Aug 29, 2015 |
They thought the Maze was over...but it had just begun.

Thomas and the remaining Gladers escaped the Maze expecting relief. What they got was another test from the people they were quickly coming to despise—WICKED.

Now surrounded by crazed people infected with a deadly disease, they must race to get the cure or perish with everyone else.

They were told WICKED was good. But can they really trust them? It may be their only option.

Let the Scorch Trials begin.

My review: Out of the frying pan and into the fire—that's how it was for Thomas and the gang when they completed the deadly Maze. Only to find themselves in yet another predicament they'd be hardpressed to survive.

I thought this was a good follow-up to The Maze Runner. It was paced faster, and more exciting, in my opinion. The stakes were higher—everyone's life was on the line if they didn't reach that cure.

I liked the addition of new characters. The boys' story continues, but we're also introduced to Jorge and Brenda, two “cranks” plagued by the disease. And Group B—the group of girls who had just escaped from their own Maze. With all of these new characters we saw teamwork, yes. But also a lot of trust issues and fighting—lots of conflict that really spiced things up.

Like I said, there was a lot more excitement in The Scorch Trials, although I did feel that there was just something missing. I would have liked to see more character development, especially with the secondary characters. And maybe something more could have been added to the plot. Also, I didn't really care for the romance between Thomas and Teresa, but that really didn't take away any of my enjoyment.

Overall, I really liked this book and will definitely want to read the rest of the series. I love the epilogues and glimpse they give of what WICKED is trying to do.

Content: One or two uses of profanity; some made up words used in place of cursing; kissing.

The Scribbling Sprite ( )
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |
Book #2 in the Maze Runner Trilogy
  BdF | Jul 30, 2015 |
If The Scorch Trials was supposed to answer some questions: James Dashner, you have failed.

Rather than being helpful to the overall plot of the trilogy, this sequel acted more like an unnecessary and confusing extension to The Maze Runner (which, in my opinion, had already been confusing enough). Explanations for everything having to do with WICKED (when, where, why, and how?) apparently weren't important enough for James Dasher to include - at least not as important as Thomas's ridiculous love problems.

Love is in the air:
Remember Mother Teresa from The Maze Runner? It's unfortunate to announce that she is still as useless and non-beneficial to the plot and Thomas as a whole. In her absence through half of the book, a new love interest is introduced, Brenda (oh, spare me). You see, both girls are so beautiful and so into Thomas (did I mention so useless too?). All Thomas could think about while his ass was in danger was his need for Teresa and his oh-so-wrongful attraction to Brenda. Oh, Thomas. Poor Thomas.

Aside from the love triangle and the fact that this book acted like a filler, it was still quite entertaining because (and only because) of the other characters. The understanding, calm, and rational Newt is still my favorite character, alongside Minho who gave me a reason to keep reading and encouraged my three star rating. And although it is still infuriating to not know what the heck is going on, Minho, Newt, and my need for answers is my only motivator to read the last book.

I need to know, dang it. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Brilliant sequel! I enjoyed this as much if not more so than The Maze Runner. Pieces of the mystery are coming into place but only leaving more questions behind as Thomas wakes up the morning after figuring out the maze and being saved to another trial ahead. The Gladers take another stab at securing their lives by heading out across the Scorch (a relentlessly hot and burning desert land). The Scorch has many difficulties, the main one being the Cranks who live there. The Cranks are sickened by a disease they call the Flare, left there to die as the disease makes them go mad and waste away. It is a fast paced adventure that keeps you turning pages until the end.
It is fantastic and ends with even more questions to be answered in the last installment of this thrilling trilogy. Definitely reminiscent of The Hunger Games but with it's own set of rules, players and game makers. I wait with baited breath for The Death Cure (tentatively titled). ( )
  jaimelee77 | Jul 7, 2015 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,134,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible