The Maze Runner 2 : Scorch Trials by James…

The Maze Runner 2 : Scorch Trials (edition 2011)

by James Dashner

Info:Chicken House (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Borrowed
Tags:Fiction

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

English (213)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (216)
Si liked it just as much if not more than the 1st so i would say job well done ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
Liked the first book - Loved this one ( )
  KenMcLain | Jul 18, 2017 |
I wish I could put my finger on why I am not enjoying this series. I think it's a combination of things, the writing I am finding a bit simplistic and (like the first book) I feel like this could have been half the size without losing any of the actual plot. I still don't have a clue what is going on and my brain can't conjure any rational explanation for why these trial are necessary, fingers crossed for the next book to be full of exposition because at this stage I'm just frustrated by the whole mystery. I also really dislike Thomas, well maybe not Thomas himself, but the way he is written just makes him seem so two dimensional, I know he has lost his memory but he seems to have lost his common sense and any form of human emotion as well.

My grumbling aside I did enjoy the plot of this one marginally more than the first book, I think because they had an actual destination to get to this time rather than just being lost in the worlds strangest maze. I also liked the introduction of Jorge and Brenda, do I trust them? Well I think I'd been an idiot to trust anyone in this series, I'll just have to get to the end to find out who works for WICKED and if WICKED really is good or not! ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Jul 5, 2017 |
This is the second book in the Maze Runner trilogy by James Dashner. The first book, The Maze Runner, was interesting with a unique concept and generally likable characters. This second book….not so much. Maybe it’s because of the different storylines and the way the Gladers kept getting separated, but I never got the same sense of cohesiveness. I found Thomas to be whiny and annoying. Teresa was a total bitch and seemed to be drinking the W.I.C.K.E.D. koolaid. Both Minho and Newt were treated like afterthoughts. And, I absolutely did not like the new characters that were added to the storyline, Jorge and Brenda.

Despite how much I disliked this book, I will continue with the third, Death Cure. At this point, after having gone through all these crazy, dangerous, unnecessary trials with the kids, I find myself wanting to finally get the answers I am sure will be at the end.

Rating: 1.75 ( )
  bhabeck | Jun 25, 2017 |
There are some books or series that are so annoying that I read them just to see if they would ever make sense or redeem themselves. David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest and David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas come to mind as stuff masqueraded and purported as more than junk, and finishing them took monumental will power. Then there are the books or series that I can't force myself to finish because they are so not worth finishing...I gave William Gibson's Neuromancer and Veronica Roth's Divergent (I read the first, but stopped there) series a valiant effort, but they failed early and often and I decided life was too short for inanity or silliness.

I'm wondering if the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42 mean anything to Dashner. Sure seems that way. Still, I checked...he doesn't have a writing credit for "Lost". I find most middle books in trilogies are fillers...and like the middle seasons two through five in "Lost", Dashner seems to delight in teasing extremely obscure references while combining disambiguated twists in his weird arc.

After two of these YA messes, I admit I am curious to see if the train wreck has any resolution, and if it makes sense...AND if there is continuity with the revealed snippets from the predecessors. The nonsense slang is still present...though not as much but just as annoying. I expect Dashner felt real vulgarities would not be received well. And yet, graphic violence is okay. Go figure. George Carlin nailed it. Violence is okay, but words are not. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,063,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible