The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2) by…

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by James Dashner

Title:The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Ember (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (2011)

English (164)  Spanish (1)  All languages (165)
While this novel was very fast paced and I certainly didn't get bored while reading it, I found it to be a very disappointing sequel to The Maze Runner. It really just felt a bit like filler as it didn't really expand on the ideas of the first novel at all. In fact, I don't really think that I found out anything that I didn't already know. I'm still none the wiser about what WICKED are doing at all.

This is especially disappointing given how unique the previous book was. I loved the concept of the Maze - it was so unique and filled with mysteries. The setting of the Scorch Trials is a desert with insanity zombies. That's far less attention grabbing. Most of the characters also didn't get a lot of development this time around. Important characters like Newt and Minho are relegated to the background and new ones like Brenda and Aris aren't really given enough page time for me to feel as though I got to know them.

At least Thomas is still likable, although I worry that he's increasingly becoming a Gary Stu as the novel does have a few messianic hints about his importance. Teresa on the other hand has dropped in my estimations. No spoilers here but I really liked her in The Maze Runner. Now...let's just say that I could stand never to see her again.

All in all, I still do want to know how this series finishes if nothing else than to wrap up the mystery of what WICKED's variables are going to be used for. Unfortunately, however, I'm not nearly as excited about this series anymore. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Sep 14, 2015 |
This book was very violent, but gripping. What a wonderful story. I cannot stop telling people about it! ( )
  BridgettKathryn | Sep 6, 2015 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

There's something weird with me and The Maze Runner series. Last year I read and reviewed the first book in the series and was actually quite disappointed. But since I knew the movie was coming, I went to see it and enjoyed it a lot more than I had the book. So, after seeing the movie I felt like 'I must read the second book RIGHT NOW'. Okay, it took some months but here I was again, now really looking forward to The Scorch Trials and that's when something weird happened...

Because having all these boys run around a maze in an arena gets boring after a while, in this book they will be running around a desert, just to keep things fresh and original. To say more would spoil things.

I started and it was exactly the same as with the first book. I was underwhelmed to say the least. Even though the story starts immediately and there is a fast succession of action scenes I felt nothing like I felt watching the first movie. And that's when it dawned on me. I just can't stand Thomas. Little, whiny (o so perfect but man he gets into a lot of problems) Thomas. I couldn't stand just how often the book is trying to tell just how special a snowflake he is. I couldn't stand the girl either. (This is indeed less in the movie, because then at least I'm not in his stupid head). And last but not least, the betrayal-plot line was ridiculous. Plain ridiculous. I laughed out loud, I don't think that was supposed to happen.

Anyway, the movie should hit the theatre soon and I'm really looking forward to it! (It might just give me the courage to read the third book).

The Scorch Trials is the sequel to The Maze Runner. The third book is The Death Cure. The Kill Order is a prequel, another prequel (The Fever Code) is planned for 2016. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 6, 2015 |
I think this one was better than the first. Thomas was much less of a pain, though the number of developed characters in the group is still very limited. Teresa and Thomas's interactions were a bit confusing and sometimes hard to believe. Also, why the hell does everyone love Thomas so much? Except for Gally in the last book, everyone likes/respects him really quickly. It doesn't interfere with the storytelling its just something that irritated me a little. I enjoyed reading it a lot and plan to read the next one and the prequel. ( )
  AdorablyBookish | Aug 29, 2015 |
They thought the Maze was over...but it had just begun.

Thomas and the remaining Gladers escaped the Maze expecting relief. What they got was another test from the people they were quickly coming to despise—WICKED.

Now surrounded by crazed people infected with a deadly disease, they must race to get the cure or perish with everyone else.

They were told WICKED was good. But can they really trust them? It may be their only option.

Let the Scorch Trials begin.

My review: Out of the frying pan and into the fire—that's how it was for Thomas and the gang when they completed the deadly Maze. Only to find themselves in yet another predicament they'd be hardpressed to survive.

I thought this was a good follow-up to The Maze Runner. It was paced faster, and more exciting, in my opinion. The stakes were higher—everyone's life was on the line if they didn't reach that cure.

I liked the addition of new characters. The boys' story continues, but we're also introduced to Jorge and Brenda, two “cranks” plagued by the disease. And Group B—the group of girls who had just escaped from their own Maze. With all of these new characters we saw teamwork, yes. But also a lot of trust issues and fighting—lots of conflict that really spiced things up.

Like I said, there was a lot more excitement in The Scorch Trials, although I did feel that there was just something missing. I would have liked to see more character development, especially with the secondary characters. And maybe something more could have been added to the plot. Also, I didn't really care for the romance between Thomas and Teresa, but that really didn't take away any of my enjoyment.

Overall, I really liked this book and will definitely want to read the rest of the series. I love the epilogues and glimpse they give of what WICKED is trying to do.

Content: One or two uses of profanity; some made up words used in place of cursing; kissing.

The Scribbling Sprite ( )
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

From the back of the book:

The Maze was only the beginning...

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
The Trials keep on / Coming in a Maze now a / Part of a city. (legallypuzzled)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,714,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible