Gimme a Call by Sarah Mlynowski

Gimme a Call

by Sarah Mlynowski

2062156,890 (3.76)6
    The Future of Us by Jay Asher (kaledrina)
    My Boyfriends' Dogs by Dandi Daley Mackall (kaledrina)
    Fat Cat by Robin Brande (kaledrina)
    She's So Money by Cherry Cheva (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: A humorous, light fast read featuring a strong female character.

I can see why some people would dislike this book and others would like it. I definitely think I would have enjoyed it more when I was in high school, but it's still a cute, fluffy read. I do think there could have been a much deeper exploration of the themes of regret, trying to balance the past/present/future, the bigger impact knowledge of the future can have, but for a high school fluff book, it's a fine read to kill a few hours. I'm a little frustrated at some of the body negativity, but the sad thing is that it's pretty much the norm. Still, I'd like to see YA authors making steps to lessen the acceptability of critiquing other peoples' bodies rather than normalize it. Honestly though, minor end spoiler, I wish the characters had been aged up like at the very end. It would have been so much more interesting, there are more changes happening in a person's life around college, and I could imagine a cool Jessica Darling-like story there. I hope the possibility for an aged up sequel is still around! ( )
  Runa | Oct 13, 2013 |
GIMME A CALL is a fun, quick read about second chances, learning from your mistakes, and how to not lose yourself in a boy.

There are two main characters, but they're actually the same girl. Devi, the senior, manages to call herself in the past, just as she's starting high school. She's in a rough spot and regrets the choices she's made over the past three years and relishes the chance to change things (via her past self) for her present and future.

I really enjoyed following along with the switches that occurred in the future as a result of younger Devi making changes in the past. Sometimes they were good (like a better prom dress!) and sometimes they weren't good at all (marital trouble for the parents).

GIMME A CALL is a cute, fast-paced story full of well-developed characters and an interesting look at how high school, and what comes after, can turn out very differently with just a few small changes. It would make a fantastic teen movie!

See more of my reviews at StoryboundGirl {dot} com. ( )
  SarahBlackstock | Sep 20, 2013 |
Mixing an original plot with vivid characterizations and believable dialogue, "Gimme a Call" is the rare YA book that teaches a lesson without moralizing or condescending to readers. Mlynowski, who began her career as a contemporary "chick lit" author, revisits themes of regret and the road not taken in this YA book, the tone of which-- although not the actual plot-- will be familiar to adult readers of her 2006 novel "Me vs. Me." Our heroine, Devi Banks, is friendless, academically underachieving, disconnected from her unhappy, overworked mother, unemployed father, and distant college-student sister, and recently dumped by the boyfriend who has consumed her entire high school experience when we meet her near the end of her senior year. After she drops her cell phone in the fountain at the mall while wishing that she could teach her younger self some lessons she's learned the hard way, Devi discovers that her phone can now call only one person-- herself, at age 14. The rest of the book alternates between the viewpoints of Senior Devi and Freshman Devi while exploring the impact that the choices made early in adolescence can have one the rest of one's life. The philosophical questions and ethical dilemmas faced by Devi will make excellent fodder for discussion, and this book is highly recommended for mother-daughter reading groups. Ages 12 and up. ( )
  alexanan | Sep 25, 2011 |
"If I could go back in time, the most important thing I would tell myself would be this: never, ever fall for Bryan... Imagine that. Talking to my fourteen year old self. I wish."Devi is a senior in high school, and when her boyfriend Bryan breaks up with her right before prom, she realizes that she's wasted her entire high school career paying attention to him -- instead of studying, keeping up with friends, trying out activities and clubs... and now she's alone at the mall. When she accidentally drops her cell phone into the fountain, it barely comes back on after being drowned. Once it does, it will only dial one number. Her own. And the voice on the other end is none other than Devi's freshman self. If you could contact yourself a few years ago, what would you tell yourself? What would you try to change? What Devi discovers is that every change on her freshman self's side of the phone leads to incredible consequences on the senior self side, some wonderful (getting into UCLA and Harvard), and some horrible (discovering her parents had divorced and both remarried). As long as she can contact her younger self, they can work to change things and make the future the best it can be... right? Well, maybe after a trip to the mall and a mani-pedi. 7th grade and up. ( )
  KarenBall | Sep 23, 2011 |
What kind of advice would older teenage you give younger teenage you? How could it change your life?The premise of Gimme a Call was quite clever, and the working back and forth of cause and effect was well done, if sometimes oversimplified.I really liked the young Devi, who felt like a nice but realistic young lady. She doesn't quite know what her goals and priorities are, which isn't unusual for someone just starting high school.The older Devi is another story altogether. She's finishing up high school, and she didn't make the best of choices throughout her time there. She's blown off her studies, alienated her friends, lost touch with her sister, with all of her energy going toward her boyfriend. And he's now broken up with her.These choices aren't what bother me about her. It's her relationship with her younger self. She never tries to work together with her younger self. She's bossy, demanding, and very much looking at it in terms of the ends justifying the means. She's just overall very unpleasant. I wish she'd been a little more balanced, while still having room to grow.Overall, it was a short fun read. It was one of those YA books where I felt while reading it that I wasn't the target audience, and I suspect the appeal will be higher for those of the intended age. My 12 year old daughter liked the book quite a big, although she didn't love it.
  ImBookingIt | Jun 6, 2011 |
Filled with tech-savvy details, this gives a contemporary feel to a timeless YA dilemma: how to keep friends and academic priorities while cultivating a love life, too.
added by khuggard | editBooklist

Mlynowski fans will not be disappointed with this blend of chick-lit, light fantasy, and comedic mishaps.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

For Chloe, my little sweetheart
I should just return Bryan's watch to Nordstrom and go home.
Just because a relationship ends, it doesn't mean it's not worth having.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038573588X, Hardcover)

A new life is just a phone call away!

Devi's life isn't turning out at all like she wanted. She wasted the past three years going out with Bryan—cute, adorable, break-your-heart Bryan. Devi let her friendships fade, blew off studying, didn't join any clubs . . . and now that Bryan has broken up with her, she has nothing left.

Not even her stupid cell phone—she dropped it in the mall fountain. Now it only calls one number . . . hers. At age fourteen, three years ago!

Once Devi gets over the shock—and convinces her younger self that she isn't some wacko—she realizes that she's been given an awesome gift. She can tell herself all the right things to do . . . because she's already done all the wrong ones! Who better to take advice from than your future self?

Except . . .what if getting what you think you want changes everything?

Fans of Sarah Mlynowski's Magic in Manhattan series will love this hilarious new novel with a high-concept premise .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:09 -0400)

After accidentally dropping her cell phone into a fountain at the mall, fourteen-year-old Devi Banks starts to get phone calls--and an earful of advice on how to live her life to avoid making disastrous choices--from her seventeen-year-old self.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,357,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible