Vampire High: Sophomore Year by Douglas Rees

Vampire High: Sophomore Year

by Douglas Rees

This book far surpassed its predecessor. It was an incredible joy to read. The world of Vampire High has all the making of turning into the next Harry Potter series. It astounds me that it has flown so far under the radar for so long. Rees's ability to weave mythos (both original and antiquated) with real life and history is astounding. What I would give to live in the world he has created (if not just to get my paws on Gregor! Muy caliente!). ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 29, 2012 |
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

It's sophomore year for Cody Elliot at New Sodom's prestigious Vlad Dracul High School, and things seem to be going well. He managed to lead the school's water polo team to victory, acquire a girlfriend in the form of a jenti (vampire) princess, and maintain a C average. Not bad for a lowly gadje!

Unfortunately, Cody's good fortune is short-lived. His crazy cousin, who goes by many names but now refers to herself as Turk, shows up on his family's doorstep. Turk and her mother are at odds, and felt it best for Turk to have a change of scenery. Turk's main goal appears to be rattling everyone's cage. She also wants to open an arts center in Crossfield, a place that holds bad memories for the jenti.

Things are going to get dicey for Cody and Turk, and ticking off the jenti is never a good idea.

Rees has successfully kept his story going in this second VAMPIRE HIGH offering. His vampire folklore is different from his fellow YA writers, and I think that's what makes these novels so enjoyable. These are not your typical vampires. I also appreciate the fact that Rees keeps a consistent narrator throughout the story.

I think there is much more in story for Cody Elliot and his jenti friends. I will be anxious to see what happens next! ( )
  GeniusJen | Nov 5, 2010 |
**Spoilers for the first book in the fourth paragraph**

When I finished "Vampire High" a four years ago, I bemoaned the fact that there wasn't a sequel for me to immediately read. Well the sequel is here, and while it (in my opinion) isn't as good as the first book was, it's still well-worth the read.

The book starts slow, with Cody's artistic (and dare I say- troubled) cousin coming to live with him and his family, and join him in attending Vlad Dracul. Our favorite characters from the first book are still around: Justin, Illena, and even Gregor. I felt that the addition of Turk (Cody's female cousin) was kind of an easy way for the author to develop a whole new plot, and it wasn't until I was several chapters in that I began to enjoy reading the story.

Basically Turk wants a place to display her art, and the only available space is an abandoned building next to the town. But there's a reason that and the surrounding buildings are abandoned- and nobody (including Justin and Illena) are happy that Cody is helping Turk develop it. Gregor plays a bigger role in this story, and we learn a little bit more about jenti (vampire) politics- which is always fun.

There were three things that did not match up with the first book. ***Spoilers if you did not read "Vampire High"*** 1: At the end of the first book, Dracula marks Cody's face so that all jenti will recognize Cody is protected. Illena had already done so, but it was inferred that Dracula's mark was more powerful and Illena's parents would respect it. If this is so, then in this book you would think the other jenti would realize the importance of the mark and who made the mark- this was not so. 2: In the first book, the jenti are terrified of water. Later they would find out that some of them could interact with it (like Justin), but to the others (like Gregor and Illena) it was still dangerous. In this book, there are moments where Gregor and his friends are using water or are near water, and there is none of that fear. It is as if the danger of the water is entirely forgotten. 3: In the first book there is a scene where Cody makes some jokes about Gregor's mother. Illena is mad about him and Cody eventually apologizes. In this book, some comments are made about Gregor and Illena immediately mentions that Gregor's mother is dead. If this is so, why wouldn't that have come up in the first book during the "your mama" jokes?

Once again, not as good as the first book, but certainly worth reading. The "sophomore year" part of the title is encouraging, and perhaps this series will continue on as Cody continues his education at Vlad Dracul. At least I hope it does! ( )
  Kegsoccer | Sep 4, 2010 |

In the satiric and funny sequel to the witty Vampire High, Cody's hopes for a great sophomore year at Vlad Dracul are dashed when his train wreck of a cousin, Turk Stone, moves in and messes with his life.

Turk's a brilliant teen artist and goth with a sky-high ego . Her attitude infuriates the vampire (jenti) students, especially the dark, brooding Gregor. But something changes in Turk when she stumbles on the abandoned nineteenth-century mill in the forgotten district of Crossfield and immediately claims it as her new arts center project.

Though Cody resents his cousin at first, he has his own reasons for helping make Turk's dream come true. But Crossfield has many secrets, and a mysterious vampire army called the Mercians will do anything to make sure they stay hidden. And when he takes on the Mercians, everything Cody has learned about courage and determination his freshman year at Vampire High will be tested.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:34 -0400)

When Cody's Goth cousin Turk moves into his house, enrolls at Vlad Dracul, and decides to turn an abandoned nineteenth-century mill into an art center, the vampire (Jenti) students are not pleased, and Cody's hopes for a great sophomore year are blighted.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible