Sé el que estàs pensant by John Verdon
Member:lluisanglada
Title:Sé el que estàs pensant
Authors:John Verdon
Other authors:Esther Roig Jiménez, David Fernández Jiménez, Mercè Santaularia Campillo
Info:Barcelona:Proa
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:negra

Think of a Number by John Verdon

English (72)  Spanish (10)  Catalan (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (96)
This an interesting first novel which takes a very traditional crime conundrum (effectively a locked-room murder although it happens out in the open) and runs with the theme in modern day America.

The key investigator is a retired police detective, famous for bringing down serial killers in his time but now struggling to come to terms with life after work in an unfamiliar rural environment. The result is a clever combination of Agatha Christie era mystery and modern day police procedural/thriller -- and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Readers who relish extreme violence and very fast plots might not like 'Think of a Number' quite so much. It's vaguely marketed to suggest that it's past of the slash-and-burn school of crime fiction. In fact it's rather more considered than that and the mystery unfolds at a gentle rate. The author, a mature chap who rather reflects his protagonist in many ways, takes his time to develop both his characters and the plot. The awkward interactions between the detective and his wife ring true, and cast shadows through the whole investigation.

That's not to say that this is a dull book -- far from it, and it has its fair share of bumpy moments where different officers, politicians and top brass trip over each other. The intricacy of the core plot is unusual, too, and kept me guessing for an awful long time...

Just don't be put off or misled by the slightly strange prologue, seen from the killer's point of view. That really does feel out of place, as if the publisher insisted on a bit of freaky weirdness right at the beginning. You could skip the first pages and not miss it in the least!

Think of a Number is an interesting introduction to a new character and from a new author. Definitely worth trying, although the follow up, Shut Your Eyes Tight is a little less successful.
8/10 ( )
  RowenaHoseason | Jun 22, 2016 |
This is the first book by this author. I saw from his website that Nelson DeMille was reading this book and he mentioned how much he was enjoying this first effort. I thought "can Nelson DeMille possibly be wrong?" He was 100% on the money. I look forward to the third book being released later this year. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
OK Book ex Cop Dave Gurney moves to the countryside for a quiet life.
He assists an old friend who has received strange poems through the post. He is killed, Dave loosely works with the Police more bodies start piling up. Can Dave save the day?

I liked this character and can see another book or two revolving around his life. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Apr 21, 2016 |
I tried to read this book back when it was released but could not find the interest to want to read the book, so I put it down and walked away from it. It was only because I am attempting to go through my to be read pile of books that have been sitting there a long time that I picked up this book again. I started from the beginning again as it was so long ago. The prologue was good. It had my attention. The next couple of chapters were ok but because they are short in length I was able to get through them pretty quickly. It was apparent quickly that I was not wrong in putting down this book the first time. There was what I thought to be a lot of useless chatter. I flipped ahead skipping chapters just to see when the story picked up. It was not after about 2 to 3 more times of doing this that I finally found the story to pick up but I did not continue reading the book. Not impressed. ( )
  Cherylk | Apr 17, 2016 |
Dave Gurney, an unhappily retired homicide detective, is brought in as an investigative consultant to a murder.
The murderer is playing games and Dave has the kind of analytical mind that is particularly adapted to unravelling clues and seeing things that others miss.
A well-written, suspenseful story. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
...If this sounds like the kind of head-scratching setup that would get Sherlock Holmes off his cocaine, it’s not the last similarity between the Victorian sleuth and his contemporary counterpart. Gurney has the same precision, logic and thirst for clarity...Dave Gurney is off to a good start too, no matter where his “retirement” takes him. His creator is obviously very comfortable in the genre already. Now he just needs to break from the pack a little more.

John Verdonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Luoma, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Naomi
"Where were you?" said the old woman in the bed. "I had to pee, and no one came."

Recently retired after a prestigious career with the NYPD, homicide detective Dave Gurney is pulled back into service when an old college friend receives threatening letters from a murderous sender who has an uncanny ability to read a person's thoughts.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,240,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible