Beautiful Maria of My Soul by Oscar Hijuelos

Beautiful Maria of My Soul (edition 2011)

by Oscar Hijuelos

Member:Shoosty
Title:Beautiful Maria of My Soul
Authors:Oscar Hijuelos
Info:Hyperion (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***1/2

Beautiful Maria of My Soul by Oscar Hijuelos

I had high expectations of this book because I thoroughly enjoyed The Mambo Kings. For some reason the sexual encounters in this book turned me off, the descriptions of Maria's lovers' sexual organs, etc. I don't know just wasn't necessary to the story. I finally stopped reading half way through. I thought the books was going to be more about the revolution and unrequited love. It really turned me off. I enjoyed Mr. Hijuelos other books, not this one. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It took me many, many attempts to make it all the way through this book so that I could write a review. In my opinion, it is horrible, even worse than the first book, Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love. If you liked Mambo Kings, you will probably like Beautiful Maria. This is the nicest thing I can say about it. ( )
  jfetting | May 25, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Some books cry out for a sequel. Readers yearn to know what happens next in the lives of these characters they have come to know and love. Then there are books that are so perfectly self-contained that it would be a crime to try to step in the same river twice. For me, reading this sequel to The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love was much closer to the latter experience than the former, unfortunately. ( )
  rosalita | Dec 23, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Excellent writing with very graphic details of place and setting - Cuba, Miami, and New York - and insights into the character and soul of both Maria and Nestor. Told by an omniscient author, the novel might have been easier to read had there been more dialogue and more "showing" than "telling." Still, a good literary read. ( )
  Harvee | Jun 9, 2011 |
in memory of August Wilson and Guillermo Cabrera Infante
Over forty years before, when Nestor Castillo's future love, one Maria Garcia y Cifuentes, left her beloved valle in the far west of Cuba, she could have gone to the provincial capital of Pinar del Rio, where her prospects for finding work might be as good-or bad- as in any place....

MarÍa is the great Cuban beauty who stole musician Nestor Castillo’s heart and broke it, inspiring him to write the Mambo Kings’ biggest hit, “Beautiful MarÍa of My Soul.'” Now in her sixties and living as an exile in Miami, MarÍa remains a beauty, still capable of turning heads. But while she left Cuba decades ago, she has never forgotten Nestor. As she thinks back to her days—and nights—in Havana, an entirely new perspective on the Mambo Kings story unfolds. Beautiful MarÍa of My Soul is a stunning act of reinvention, and another contemporary classic from an extraordinarily talented writer.

In a part sequel and part retelling of "The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love," the inspiration for the Mambo King's biggest hit, Maria, now 60 years old, reminisces about her days and nights in Havana, offering a completely different perspective on the Mambo Kings' story.… (more)

Hyperion and Voice

2 editions of this book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 1401323340, 1401310516

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Beautiful Maria of My Soul by Oscar Hijuelos was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,560,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible