Afternoon on the Amazon by Mary Pope Osborne

Afternoon on the Amazon (1995)

by Mary Pope Osborne

Recently added bySarah_P, e-zReader, ladypembroke, khendr4, private library, fumcod

In my opinion, the book "Afternoon on the Amazon", a part of the Magic Tree House series, was a really great chapter book for young readers. One thing I liked a lot about this book was that it does include some pictures. This is great for students who are transitioning from picture books to chapter books. While the pictures are in black and white, they are very detailed and help the student to visualize exactly what is happening on that page. I think this is a great learning tool as well. If the reader is learning about different environments, the pictures of the amazon and the animals Jack and Annie encounter really help them see what the environment looks like and to picture those animals. Another thing I liked about this book was that it was part of a series. I read these books when I was younger, but didn't remember a lot about them. Apparently a character named Morgan is introduced in previous books and is under some sort of spell. Jack and Annie have to collect artifacts from the different places they visit in order to free Morgan from the spell. This really motivates readers to read the series so they can follow the story line and see all of the adventures Jack and Annie go on. A final thing I liked about this book was the fact that the text was large and broken up well. This would really help a young reader to focus on the words and the actual content of the story. The illustrations are not a distraction and the book really has a chapter book feel that will get reader accustomed to how chapter books are set up. The big idea of the story was Jack and Annie's adventure through the Amazon rain forest and to work together to complete a goal. ( )
  khendr4 | Nov 19, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! I like the book because it was informational. The story provided many facts about the Amazon and educated the readers about different animals in the Amazon, as well as its different parts. For example, the text discusses the different layers included in the Amazon. I also like the book because of the plot of the story. Even though the book provides facts for the readers the author provides the facts through a narrative story. The story is about and brother and sister named Jack and Annie. They go on an adventure through the Amazon and along the way learn about the different aspects of the amazing place. I think the purpose of the book is to provide readers with an engaging way to learn facts about the Amazon. ( )
  awalls4 | May 11, 2014 |
“Afternoon on the Amazon” is a magic tree house book that takes readers on an adventure in the rain forest with two brave children. Each chapter is a new thrilling event that happens on their journey. Not only does this book include an abundant amount of exciting details and dialogue, it also includes fun facts that are great for children to read. For example, on page 13-14 it states, “The rain forest is in three layers. Thick treetops, often over 150 feet in the air, make up the top layer. This is called the forest canopy. Below the canopy is the under-story, then the forest floor.” This book is great for children who are just transitioning into being able to read chapter books. It is fun, exciting, and very interesting! ( )
1 vote alines1 | Nov 13, 2013 |
Jack and Annie have the magic tree house that takes them to the settings in the books they read. All their adventures will hold your attention. In book 6 they travel to the rain forest. While there they encounter various animals, crocodile, piranhas, monkey, vampire bats and more before they are able to go home.
I would use this book wiht 2-4th graders, durninga theme on the rainforest. This book introduces fun facts about animals of the rain forest.
1 vote 1212bec | Oct 23, 2012 |
I picked this book up expecting to feel brain cells dying as I read it. I was very wrong; I can see why my students enjoy this series so much. It's very well written (albeit extremely simplistic) and interesting. It was an extremely quick read and is educational, to boot! ( )
1 vote benuathanasia | Sep 5, 2012 |
THis book is excellent fatasy book for us and younger children. It is fun, and we can find a lot of informnations from this book.

Setting: This is an appropriate setting for the story because Annie and Jack explore the Amazon rain forest before returning to their home in Pennsylvania.
added by wnghksduq | editAFTERNOON on the AMAZON, JOHN g8 (Nov 15, 2009)

For Pipers Pope Boyce
Prologue:
One summer day in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, a mysterious tree house appeared in the woods.
Chapter One:
"Hurry, Jack!" shouted Annie.

Eight-year-old Jack, his seven-year-old sister, Annie, and Peanut the mouse ride in a tree house to the Amazon rain forests, where they encounter giant ants, flesh-eating piranhas, hungry crocodiles, and wild jaguars.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,987,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible